Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Removing paint from paint

Hi all,

I received my colossus memorial bust today. Fantastic piece, although the paint job leaves much to be desired.

However, theres a noticable splash of white paint on top of the paint job on the red armour on his forearm. I tried using my fingernails to remove it with no success.

Is there a safe way of removing the paint without removing the paintwork of the sculpt itself?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

C.

EDIT: Its not a great pic, but hopefully this shows the paint problem - the white mark is just above the specular highlight on the red armour on his forearm (his right forearm):

Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Ewww that is a tough one. I am not sure because most everything you would use would probably damage the paint underneath...You might just have to have it repainted...But I am no expert by any means...Maybe one of the paint masters may no of something...
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Colossal

Thanks Ashley, damn I was hoping there would be some solution.

However, Im not sure if all those that have the bust agree, but the skin paint on this piece is one of the worst - I really like the costume, and base, but the belt is sloppy, skin is really overdone with the blue, and the forearm armour is too shiny.

Taking all this into consideration, as well as the inability to remove the white spot, Im in talks now to get it re-painted in the future.

I wonder though, theres only 500 in the world I think, would you guys see it as a desecration of a piece to have it repainted? Ive never thought about repainting any of the pieces Ive bought, but this would be a good one to do.

I know the value monetarily will drop by painting it, but I want this as one of the focal points of my display, and although awesome, it could be so much better with a brilliant paint job.

Also, if you guys had a choice, what type of paint would you suggest for Colossus' skin?

Thanks again,

Leo.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

As far as paint for his skin...look at Danno's paint up of ROM Spaceknight! I would go with something similar...As far as desecration of a piece...it is only desecrated in your mind if you let it be...
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Colossal

Oh no, for me I wouldnt see it being re-painted as ruining the piece, in fact this is the first piece Ive bought that I genuinely feel the paint job doesnt live up to the sculpt itself. I just wanted to know what people on the forum felt about making changes to a piece thats not a commission.

And Ive just checked out the Rom Knight, that is sick! I dont know about you guys but I think that would look great on this bust.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

I have a colossus Painted by Danno in this fashion and its awesome!!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Colossal

Winzs, dont leave me hanging - you have any pics of that Colossus?! Would love to see man.