Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-02-2005, 02:35 AM   #21
cblakey1
Cyclops

I've always been able to draw and built models and painted dungeons and dragons figures as a kid. Went to college for commercial art and took a few other elective art courses. I hung up art for like, 20 years and 5-6 years ago tried a few sculpts. Hung that up for a few years and found this forum. Seeing all the amazing talent on this forum and their WIPs got me jazzed about blowing the dust off of the tools and trying again.

I don't profess to be a great sculptor--just a hack. I'll get an idea, knock it out in a few nights, and if it looks cool, then that's great. If it sucks, oh well. At least I followed through on my idea. After reading all the advice on the forum though, I find that I am looking at more anatomy/sculpting reference books to help me in areas that I've had problems. The people here are real good and have a keen eye for anatomy and such, so it's hard to put something over on them. I really appreciate their input and in time, following advice and with practice, I'll get better.

I've never been one to "copy" something straight from a drawing or existing sculpt. I will just peek at something like a comic for costume or character reference, then the pose and actual "look" of the character is my vision. That's what I think makes a decent artist. Anyone can copy someone exactly basing it on so-and-so's style, but to do something completely original is what make the sculpt unique. The only thing I've ever done based on a pic was the Tank Girl I posted here a few months back, but even then, I changed things I didn't like with the drawing. A good example of original sculpts are the Shifflets for or Gabe Perna. They do amazing original sculpts! Look at all the comic variations of Batman or Hulk, too. Each artist has their own unique interpretation and you can't say anyone's is "wrong", just different. That's why in collecting, I buy all versions of statues and busts of, for example, Mystique, Lara Croft, or Morbius, even Miracle Man (if the $$ holds out ).. all different takes, and all cool IMO.

Anyway, My advice is: build an armature, slap on some sculpey, and carve and mould away. Some stuff will suck, and some will surprise you, but in time, you will get very good. You've already got a great headstart because of all the excellent mod work you do!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #22
mystique
Painter/Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1
I've always been able to draw and built models and painted dungeons and dragons figures as a kid. Went to college for commercial art and took a few other elective art courses. I hung up art for like, 20 years and 5-6 years ago tried a few sculpts. Hung that up for a few years and found this forum. Seeing all the amazing talent on this forum and their WIPs got me jazzed about blowing the dust off of the tools and trying again.

I don't profess to be a great sculptor--just a hack. I'll get an idea, knock it out in a few nights, and if it looks cool, then that's great. If it sucks, oh well. At least I followed through on my idea. After reading all the advice on the forum though, I find that I am looking at more anatomy/sculpting reference books to help me in areas that I've had problems. The people here are real good and have a keen eye for anatomy and such, so it's hard to put something over on them. I really appreciate their input and in time, following advice and with practice, I'll get better.

I've never been one to "copy" something straight from a drawing or existing sculpt. I will just peek at something like a comic for costume or character reference, then the pose and actual "look" of the character is my vision. That's what I think makes a decent artist. Anyone can copy someone exactly basing it on so-and-so's style, but to do something completely original is what make the sculpt unique. The only thing I've ever done based on a pic was the Tank Girl I posted here a few months back, but even then, I changed things I didn't like with the drawing. A good example of original sculpts are the Shifflets for or Gabe Perna. They do amazing original sculpts! Look at all the comic variations of Batman or Hulk, too. Each artist has their own unique interpretation and you can't say anyone's is "wrong", just different. That's why in collecting, I buy all versions of statues and busts of, for example, Mystique, Lara Croft, or Morbius, even Miracle Man (if the $$ holds out ).. all different takes, and all cool IMO.

Anyway, My advice is: build an armature, slap on some sculpey, and carve and mould away. Some stuff will suck, and some will surprise you, but in time, you will get very good. You've already got a great headstart because of all the excellent mod work you do!

I appreciate all of this advice... I really do. I didn't see your Tank Girl... can you post them again? Or do you have a link to more of you sculpts? I would love to see your work.
mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:13 AM   #23
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystique
I appreciate all of this advice... I really do. I didn't see your Tank Girl... can you post them again? Or do you have a link to more of you sculpts? I would love to see your work.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...ight=tank+girl

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...ight=tank+girl
Old 03-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #24
mystique
Painter/Customizer

You are NOT a hack... Those are great. Have you finished her yet??????
mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #25
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystique
You are NOT a hack... Those are great. Have you finished her yet??????
Pretty close. just need to sand a little and retool some things that don't look right.

Hey... thx for the compliment!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #26
marvsandman
Doh!

Reference books...How to Make Clay Characters by Carlson and Family and Friends in Polymer Clay also by Carlson.

Suggestions...if this is your first sculpt, try not to bog yourself down in fixing mistakes, just get the sculpt done, add details absolutely last, go on to the next one without looking back. I once read that a writer has about twelve bad stories in them, so they should write those first and get on with the good stuff. Sculpting, I find, is no different. Get the crap out of your system, then the good stuff will start pouring out. Finally, don't fall in love with your work, especially the early stuff.
marvsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:45 AM   #27
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

100% trial and error and two phone calls to Kent Melton taught me everything I know about sculpting.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #28
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

The best thing about being an Amazing Sculptor, is knowing that it's Amazing I still have all my fingers.

It's amazing that I haven't been hunted down and shot.

It's amazing that when I'm abducted by aliens that they bring me back to my car.

I'm telling you, It's hard to be an Amazing Sculptor.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote