Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #1
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

the sentinel colossus diorama has sold for around USD$2000 on a few occation...

I have chatted with SS to show them the bay link where the sentinel colossus diorama sold for USD$2000

I told them Colossus is a money maker for SS

I also asked SS to get the same sculptor to sculpt a Museum Colossus FS.

SS said they will bring the subject up with the higher managers.

Hopefully we can get some feedback soon from SS about this.

Thanks for reading.

One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Above All View Post
I have chatted with SS to show them the bay link where the sentinel colossus diorama sold for USD$2000

I told them Colossus is a money maker for SS

I also asked SS to get the same sculptor to sculpt a Museum Colossus FS.

SS said they will bring the subject up with the higher managers.

Hopefully we can get some feedback soon from SS about this.

Thanks for reading.

I don't think Colossus is a cash cow, nor is Cyclops for that matter. Look at the PFs and LSBs. There's just something about the dio. Still is the only SSC piece I've ever bothered reviewing. I'm awash with praise for the thing.
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Synzaic
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

? Strange
Synzaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

More than Colossus or any other character on itself, I think the point is that comics dioramas would be a money maker.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
worstgamerever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
More than Colossus or any other character on itself, I think the point is that comics dioramas would be a money maker.
Hm. Not many releases so far support your thesis mate. The only diorama that's a home run has been X-Men v Sentinel, and specifically the first part of the diorama. Parts two and three struggle to sell lower than retail. Virtually every other comic diorama has been poor. I saw Hulk v Silver Surfer today at less than RRP and didn't even look twice. X-Force, the X-men one with Mimic, Draken and the others (can't remember what the name is now), Daredevil v Punisher, all the Spider-Man dios, Iron-man vs Namor, Captain America v Red Skull, Psylocke v Spiral, Fantastic Four, list goes on. No other diorama was successful. The exception is maybe the Spidey vs Hulk with Traffic Light and Wolverine v Sabertooth. Both those are just OK IMO.

I'm probably wrong though...
Old 08-24-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Good ones do sell pretty good, you mentioned them.
Hulk vs Spidey goes for some big bucks, Wolverine vs Sabretooth is very good imho, Thanos and Mistress death is just average to me but it's held in high regard from many out there.
But not just that, look at the recent Iron Studios Magneto vs Sentinel and Spidey vs Venom (I think it was Spidey and Venom, not sure). And expectations around the XM Sentinel diorama were huge.
They only need to pick the right characters and make the right artistic choices, things like Superman vs Lex in power armor would sell without doubt, I honestly see why things like Iron Man vs Namor or Devil vs Punisher are not really that much appealing (most of them are very dated, too).
I think Prime1 mentioned their DC comics license will be 1:5 and very dynamic, we'll see if the demand is there.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
worstgamerever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Good ones do sell pretty good, you mentioned them.
Hulk vs Spidey goes for some big bucks, Wolverine vs Sabretooth is very good imho, Thanos and Mistress death is just average to me but it's held in high regard from many out there.
But not just that, look at the recent Iron Studios Magneto vs Sentinel and Spidey vs Venom (I think it was Spidey and Venom, not sure). And expectations around the XM Sentinel diorama were huge.
They only need to pick the right characters and make the right artistic choices, things like Superman vs Lex in power armor would sell without doubt, I honestly see why things like Iron Man vs Namor or Devil vs Punisher are not really that much appealing (most of them are very dated, too).
I think Prime1 mentioned their DC comics license will be 1:5 and very dynamic, we'll see if the demand is there.
Ah, seen. You were talking about Superhero dios that are well done, rather than just superhero dios per se. I tend to agree with you mate. However I don't think Sideshow has had more success in this area. In all honesty, smaller scale collectibles, I'd hazard, are something they might be moving away from. They aren't the only ones either. A lot of companies are leaning toward 1:4 and above. Having 1:4 dioramas is quite a different strategy to having just 1:4 scale figures though. I don't think SSC will test that water. Expensive, difficult to ship, space for collectors etc.

Case in point: the ARH Conan and Slave Girl dio. Exceptional piece - wasn't the snake meant to be like 8ft long or something equally ridiculous? But the thing costs over $1,000, shipped in three boxes and was very expensive to ship. And then there's the space issue.

This is what SSC may have to contend with should they go down the 1:4 dio route. Either that, or they go back to 1:6 or 1:7 territory, which so few companies, SSC included, have had profound success with.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
azurepred
Zot

one of the most random threads ever
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 AM   #9
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstgamerever View Post
Ah, seen. You were talking about Superhero dios that are well done, rather than just superhero dios per se. I tend to agree with you mate. However I don't think Sideshow has had more success in this area. In all honesty, smaller scale collectibles, I'd hazard, are something they might be moving away from. They aren't the only ones either. A lot of companies are leaning toward 1:4 and above. Having 1:4 dioramas is quite a different strategy to having just 1:4 scale figures though. I don't think SSC will test that water. Expensive, difficult to ship, space for collectors etc.

Case in point: the ARH Conan and Slave Girl dio. Exceptional piece - wasn't the snake meant to be like 8ft long or something equally ridiculous? But the thing costs over $1,000, shipped in three boxes and was very expensive to ship. And then there's the space issue.

This is what SSC may have to contend with should they go down the 1:4 dio route. Either that, or they go back to 1:6 or 1:7 territory, which so few companies, SSC included, have had profound success with.
I agree, it's not a well explored territory yet, but I do think it has its potential. You make some good points, but see this for example: the ARH Conan dio was a slow seller in 1:4 scale at 1000$, while the old Conan the Prize dio sells for 700-800$ regularly. Sure, the Prize is older, it's sold out and everything, but this tells me that sculpt and artistic choices matter a lot. Same thing between the various X Men vs Sentinel dioramas, the first one hiked in price because it's clearly the best one under every aspect.

Another thing I forgot to mention - the size. I think diormas work best in 1:5 and 1:6 scale, and I might be wrong but I also think that many dioramas by Sideshow (from any license) are smaller than 1:6, like the various Star Wars dios. Even the X Men vs Sentinel gave me the impression to be more towards 1:7 scale than 1:6.
But yeah, Sideshow is not doing dioramas anymore except the occasional ones, Igo mentioned back then that production costs were too high.
Not sure what to think about it, to be honest. The ARH Perseus vs Medusa is 395$ and it's pretty big. A regular PF is 500$ now, so it's not like dioramas cost 400$ and PF cost 300$, I think it would make business sense to offer 1:6 scale dioramas in the 450-500$ price range, as long as they are well designed and engineered.
A lot of people do love their museum poses and display, I do too, but I also noticed that putting a few smaller and more dynamic pieces here and there helps the display.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
theokan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

One major reason why the X-men vs Sentinel dio 1 sells is because it's in scale with Bowen/Koto, a lot of people can add a Rogue or Wolverine etc to expand their diorama, it lets you be a little creative and create your own display.

The collectible industry as a whole has been around long enough that there are now industry standards, namely 1:4 and 1:6 (1:7) scale, it makes sense that those scales are more sought after, and imo companies need to respect that. After SSC switch the diorama line to a smaller scale they just don't sell the same anymore.

----
theokan is offline   Reply With Quote