Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snnnikt View Post
Since Sideshow pretty much runs the market on 1/4 scale statues... I was wondering with the rising cost of statues, are you getting priced out of collecting 1/4 scale?

With Tweeterhead and now XM creating these 1/6 statues, are you considering switching to smaller scale now? Especially with the smaller price points? (Although it seems prices are rising for all statues)

Its been running through my mind of getting rid of my 1/4 in favor of 1/5 or 1/6 statues. Price, space, and more characters being available as really gave me itch to start thinking about it.

What are some of your thoughts? Are you priced out of 1/4 or bigger and making the switch to smaller?
I never collected one single scale. For me it's foolish. I try to collect the very best definitive versions of my favorite characters regardless of scale. Sometimes this is 1:1, 1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:7, 1:8...so on so fourth.

I wouldn't abandon a scale entirely, but I wouldn't buy one scale exclusively. This is YOUR collection, pieces that speak to you. Many times we get caught up on these forums seeing what the other knuckleheads like and it skews our interests...OMG GRAIL...1/4 scale of fail...don't listen to that nonsense. Use your eyes and tune everything else out.

I'm not priced out of the larger scales but I do NOT see the value in the Iron Studios 1/4 Punisher for example. It's nice but not $700 nice...you know? You can get a lot of GREAT useful equipment for your home or other hobbies for $700...stuff that you can use, stuff that will make your life easier.

Also the companies have jacked up the price of 1/5-1/4-1/3-1/2 scales so much they haven't left enough meat on the bone for resale and making money on pieces. I DO NOT BUY TO MAKE MONEY, but I do not buy to lose money. I feel the current price points of the 1/5 scale and up have taken such a big bite out chance to appreciate because they are already SKY HIGH prices. The edition sizes and the MSRP, I NEVER EVER see Iron Studios 1/4 Punisher selling for $1500 EVER...it's just too much for what you're getting. We buy these pieces because they are limited edition collectibles of charcters we love. It's a punch in the gut when you realize your 1/4 Scale of Fail GRAIL, ain't as collectible as you thought it was when you were buying it for a $1000 15 months ago...and now the only way you can sell it is on eBay for $700 + free shipping + paypal and eBay fees.

Buy what you like, and buy the best versions of each character. Just know you want the BIG awesome expensive piece with the BIG BOX, it's going to be THAT MUCH HARDER to make that BIG BOX disappear when you want it gone...and be prepared to lose money on that BIG EXPENSIVE OMG GRAIL PIECE...my 2 cents.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
built2shred
Phoenix

If you have limited display space, a few 1/4 or 1/3 scale statues of your favorite characters surrounded with 1:6 or smaller scales is not a bad way to go in order to control your limited space and funds..

I noticed with the newer 1:6 scale statues that companies are putting a lot of detail into the statue and their bases... More so then a lot of 1:4 scale statues.. I know you get a bit more presence out of a larger statue but I'm pretty impressed with the newer 1:6 stuff from the various companies..

I'm also impressed with the amount of detail Iron Studios is putting into their 1:10 scale statues... their polystone (with occasional mix media for accessories).... Like mini sideshow PF's... and on overage your only looking at $90-$100 ea..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I've sold almost all of my 1/4 (only kept my favorite characters) and have switched over to 1/6. I may just get out completely and only buy a statue here and there of my favorites. Even XM's 1/6 line is already more than 1/4 scale was when I started.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raas Kaaz View Post
still staying in 1/4. ... just being way more selective ... and space became anyways an issue
+1 #1/4scalelife

i got into the motu / thundercats 1/5 line but those are the only smaller scale lines ill be looking into. getting out of 1/3 scale, being more selective with 1/4 scale and trimming my orders down
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan99 View Post
I've sold almost all of my 1/4 (only kept my favorite characters) and have switched over to 1/6. I may just get out completely and only buy a statue here and there of my favorites. Even XM's 1/6 line is already more than 1/4 scale was when I started.
To be fair their 1:6 line is far more impressive detail wise then anything we got in 1:4 scale at the same price years ago, their actually more impressive then some 1:4 scales now... not to mention the more detailed bases and the multiple switch out they give you, most companies only give you 1 and that's only if you buy their EX. and their bases can be a simple as a black disc. so you do have to take in those factors when comparing..

On average 1:6 scale statues are around $300 now where 3-4 years ago they average around $200, so they have gone up in price but 1:4 scale statues have more then doubled in price during that same time period... 1:4 scale seems to have gone in price more so then any other scale....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Valderen
The Spirit

I collect stuff I like regardless of scale.

Right now that's only CotD which are 1:4 except Demithyle which I skipped, and the new 1:8 prestige which I also skipped.

I have the 4 MotU that SS did which were 1:5.

I'm open to different scales if I like it and the price is right.
Valderen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #17
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
I never collected one single scale. For me it's foolish. I try to collect the very best definitive versions of my favorite characters regardless of scale. Sometimes this is 1:1, 1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:7, 1:8...so on so fourth.

I wouldn't abandon a scale entirely, but I wouldn't buy one scale exclusively. This is YOUR collection, pieces that speak to you. Many times we get caught up on these forums seeing what the other knuckleheads like and it skews our interests...OMG GRAIL...1/4 scale of fail...don't listen to that nonsense. Use your eyes and tune everything else out.

Buy what you like, and buy the best versions of each character. Just know you want the BIG awesome expensive piece with the BIG BOX, it's going to be THAT MUCH HARDER to make that BIG BOX disappear when you want it gone...and be prepared to lose money on that BIG EXPENSIVE OMG GRAIL PIECE...my 2 cents.

I agree with this so much!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #18
SuperJ300
Zot

I’ve started liking the smaller scale statue.

They are less expensive, and you loose less money on them.

Bigger scale statues are starting to be more hassle to collect.
SuperJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #19
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I have a problem storing the boxes for my collection (which is all 1/6) so I can only imagine the issues collectors would have when you move into the 1/4 or 1/3 scale statues.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #20
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJ300 View Post
I’ve started liking the smaller scale statue.

They are less expensive, and you loose less money on them.

Bigger scale statues are starting to be more hassle to collect.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote