Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #1331
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
If we are talking retail cabinets then I really recommend this from Pottery Barn. I just bought one, store books and smaller pieces inside the shelves and a couple of larger pieces on top (that I swap out). The wood is very clean, unstained and not heavy in appearance. It has glass doors and glass sides so there is decent light but no dust. Also there is space inside for adding wiring for lighting. PB often does extra % off coupons as well. I use this for my Tolkien books and the Weta smaller environments.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...age-bookcases|

My big problem is that I want my larger pieces to be in the open so you can live with them but hate the dust. Having everything in a custom acrylic case just seems a bit too stiff for me. I know what I really want, built in floor to ceiling glass cases but then you have to consider selling your house in the future and buyers hating the built in nerd cabinet in the living room.
Speaking of pottery barn, they make some nice shelves called the Holman shelf, that range from 2 to 5 feet long and are 10" deep. You simply install a mounting bracket on the wall and you can install them pretty much anywhere and if you use multiple shelves, you can adjust the heigh between shelves to whatever height you want. We use some of these in our kitchen and in our guest room.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...RCH_TOPPRODUCT

These could be really nice for statues like Bishoujo's, DC Cover girls, Batman B&W, etc.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #1332
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post
I like that, but only if i can take the shelfs out. Dont need two 15 inch shelfs
That is a downside to this. I wish they were removeable and thick glass. I'm sure it could be modded but if we are talking off the shelf type stuff...
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:11 AM   #1333
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
Here's what I built myself for my collection using black walnut:

Have you built anyother shelves for statues, love the finish of that wood.

I'm surprised more people don't build their own as every Joinery / Woodshop will rip wood to the desired length and width. Couple of corner clamps, drill and hardwood strips and job done. Youtube has thousands of videos on the subject.

I got my wood ripped last weekend and built a secret bookcase door for my home cinema and it went together with no major issues using the above technique.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:50 AM   #1334
Transient
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Torpedo View Post
Have you built anyother shelves for statues, love the finish of that wood.

I'm surprised more people don't build their own as every Joinery / Woodshop will rip wood to the desired length and width. Couple of corner clamps, drill and hardwood strips and job done. Youtube has thousands of videos on the subject.

I got my wood ripped last weekend and built a secret bookcase door for my home cinema and it went together with no major issues using the above technique.
Thanks! These are the only shelves I've made for statues. I may make 2 more identical ones like them as my collection grows.

Yeah, I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of milling services at hardwoods dealers, or rent time from a maker space or community woodshop to work there. It makes appreciating the collection even more fun too, because not only are you appreciating the statues, but you'd be taking pride in your own work as well. It's a good and very unique feeling, and I'm sure you feel the same about your secret bookcase door too.

I need to go make some sawdust again. Just talking about it this little bit in this thread is making me anxious to get back in the shop.
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #1335
CtrlAltElite
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Anyone have a Displays 2 Go display? How do you like it?

http://www.displays2go.com/P-10294/A...e-Tyler-Design
CtrlAltElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #1336
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:

Oh my...

So this is how rich people display their statues
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #1337
SDguy

Quote:

Would be nice if those lights could be LED instead...
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #1338
CtrlAltElite
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstgamerever View Post
Oh my...

So this is how rich people display their statues
ha! I priced out having besta or pax shipped to my house, with lighting and doors. Yeah, that's pretty expensive also. Reason I was asking, is I know I can put the heavier stuff on the bottom, was curious how the tempered glass holds PF's
CtrlAltElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #1339
Wurmtongue
The Herculoids

thrift store finds

Found this beauty about a week ago. It' s mid century modern made by Drexel. Cost me $25. It has a lamp in the inner ceiling and 2 adjustable shelves are partial glass for light to shine throughout the cabinet. Gonna throw 4 danish modern legs on it and it should look fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_084131.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	92412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_084229.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	92413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_084418.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	92414  
Wurmtongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #1340
Transient
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
ha! I priced out having besta or pax shipped to my house, with lighting and doors. Yeah, that's pretty expensive also. Reason I was asking, is I know I can put the heavier stuff on the bottom, was curious how the tempered glass holds PF's
Yeah, its a nice looking shelf, but I don't see any weight limit for the shelf. If it were 3/8" tempered glass I'd trust it with just about anything. Thats what my coffee table top is made of and I've stood on top of that before. If there were support pins for those shelves in the middle it'd look safer to me. Maybe just email their support department?

You can also just replace the shelves with thicker tempered by custom ordering from places like https://www.onedayglass.com for example.
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote