Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #411
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

$800 is still allot for a 1/4 scale piece. I don’t care about low ES and awesome Styrofoam either. Hopefully if they get a US license the price comes down a bit.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #412
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
$800 is still allot for a 1/4 scale piece. I don’t care about low ES and awesome Styrofoam either. Hopefully if they get a US license the price comes down a bit.
I own no XM pieces and have no plans to do so any time soon as they don't cater to my interests. But in fairness, a lot of us pay that for US pieces anyway, take the new War Machine maquette, just under $700 to the UK assuming shipping is around $50. And that isn't the most expensive 1/4 we've seen lately. Shipping and import duty sucks all around and is likely what will force many out of the hobby as the initial prices at source rise and rise.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #413
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
It'd be a bit cheaper, also your not paying for ES and Styro you are paying for QUALITY. I am willing to pay for quality.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #414
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
It'd be a bit cheaper, also your not paying for ES and Styro you are paying for QUALITY. I am willing to pay for quality.
I forgot to mention in my other post that I didn't want to hear about the famous XM "QUALITY" either. They do make quality stuff but let's not get carried away either. I don't see anything that makes me want to pay $300 more. That's just me.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #415
Raas Kaaz
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

$800 is nuts for a 1/4 .. even with better quality !

You should get a top quality for $400 1/4 statue produced in mass !!!! Is a lot of money we taking about here !?
Raas Kaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #416
SONICobra
Batman

theres a lot of people who will order two statues without hesitation at $400 but will scoff at the idea of spending $800 on one. if that one is a character I love, a perfect representation of that character, awesome sculpt/pose/base/etc. and is just about guaranteed to have top notch qc backed by a company with great customer service - I will pay that tax. I wont pay it often, but under those conditions I have no problem with it.

that said, sideshow is still my go to - I believe in their artists and am very excited for the pieces I have on order. this is an expensive hobby though, theres no getting around that so id rather have a small collection of incredible and possibly expensive pieces vs. a large collection of moderately priced pretty nice ones. my $0.02
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #417
dao2
Cyclops

Everyone keeps saying $800, why? There last piece was 480 USD. The 800 dollar pieces are very big. And not just a simple high base big.

Shipping adds a lot yes, but if they got a global license they could have a real distributor in the US and shipping would be fair. I don't think this would happen but you have to realize is that for what SS is offering XM offers for the same price, they're pricier stuff is more expensive. On average their pieces are only 600 USD (not the premium member prices, remember their listed prices are not in USD).
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #418
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Everyone keeps saying $800, why? There last piece was 480 USD. The 800 dollar pieces are very big. And not just a simple high base big.

Shipping adds a lot yes, but if they got a global license they could have a real distributor in the US and shipping would be fair. I don't think this would happen but you have to realize is that for what SS is offering XM offers for the same price, they're pricier stuff is more expensive. On average their pieces are only 600 USD (not the premium member prices, remember their listed prices are not in USD).
I don't recall you mentioning where anyone can get XM pieces for the prices you are mentioning. The point is, MOST can't. Unless your part of the secret society, it will cost everyone else almost $2k at the least to get any of the good characters.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #419
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I don't recall you mentioning where anyone can get XM pieces for the prices you are mentioning. The point is, MOST can't. Unless your part of the secret society, it will cost everyone else almost $2k at the least to get any of the good characters.
That was my entire point in bringing up a global license that could be picked up if it was dropped. See you can't get their direct prices because they cannot sell directly to most of us. SS has the license for marvel, XM's is purely for asia, the retailers that sell their pieces jack up the prices exactly because of this. If they had a global license they could sell direct, or have an official distributor in the US/Europe and be able to get those prices.

As I said it's a what if (and a pipe dream tbh) ;p I'm not actually that against SS' current pace, it could be a bit sped up sure but I like that they don't pump them out. What I don't like is SS' hit or miss, not only in QC (which in general has been better in the SW line, but still just passable sometimes which IMO I don't like) but their choices for pieces/poses.

I understand why exclusive licensing is around, however as collectors it would definitely better for us if XM and SS could both make and distribute the same licenses around here. Competition is good for us, bad for SS. The reason their pieces are costly for us in Europe and US is because of SS holding the license :P
Old 05-06-2015, 01:48 AM   #420
SONICobra
Batman

anyway, ill take a captain phasma pf please
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote