Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Limited Edition Tomb Raider Art Book

Hey,

was just doing my basic rounds on the various gaming we shops and came across a limited edition Tomb Raider book that is no doubt aimed at the new Rise of the Tomb Raider game. Its up for pre order and is $70. I am a sucker for Lara Croft and Tomb Raider so I jumped on it immediately.

Its limited to 1500 copies, which really isn't that many when you stop and think about it. Rise of the Tomb Raider will sell millions of copies. The previous game sold over 8.5 million copies. Thats basically 1 copy of the art book for every 5666 people that purchased the last game. Something tells me this is going to sell out relatively quickly.

Anyways here are some pics:

Quote:
Limited Edition of 1,500

192pp + 32pp of exclusive storyboards from key scenes in the game, with commentary from storyboard artist Jeff Adams
Variant dust jacket
Clamshell case with debossed 'Trinity' logo
Again, its $70 and is up for pre order right now. Here is the link in case your interested:

http://www.tombraiderstore.com/rise-...rce=20151105tr

My advice, if you want a copy....well, don't wait too long before placing your order. Rise of the Tomb Raider scored a 9.3 from IGN so it appears to be a pretty amazing game. If the game is really that good, it will only make people that much more interested in various collectibles.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Grayfox117
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I've been contemplating this since they first announced it. I have other previous Tomb Raider art books and would love to add this to my collection. Hopefully it's still available after the holidays.
Grayfox117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Grayfox117

Maybe I'm wrong, is this the same book? This version is only 500 copies. This is the one I was referring to.

THE OFFICIAL RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER ART BOOK FROM CRYSTAL DYNAMICS and SQUARE ENIX
Presented with an Art Print signed by Brenoch Adams, Art Director for the game
Features an exclusively designed Slipcase, unique to this edition
Features variant cover art and design, exclusive to this edition
Limited to 500 copies worldwide
This book features concept art, 3D renders, sketches and more all accompanied by detailed developer commentary

Art Print:

Dimensions: 218 x 291mm
Paper/card colour, stock & weight: Hahnemuhle Pearl 285gsm
Printing process: Fine Art
Print Signed: Brenoch Adams, Art Director (Crystal Dynamics)

Book:

Dimensions: 301 x 228mm
Paper stock & weight: 140 gsm Chinese glossy art
Special finishes: Spot UV lamination on dustjacket. Matt lamination plus spot UV lamination plus sandpaper effect on slipcase.
Binding: sewn
Dustjacket: Exclusive limited variant, printed on 128gsm matt art paper with spot UV lamination.
Slipcase specification: 237 x 316 x 28mm, printed on 128gsm matt art paper over 3mm board
Limited to: 500 copies worldwide

http://anotheruniverse.co/products/r...imited-edition
Old 11-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox117 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, is this the same book? This version is only 500 copies. This is the one I was referring to.

THE OFFICIAL RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER ART BOOK FROM CRYSTAL DYNAMICS and SQUARE ENIX
Presented with an Art Print signed by Brenoch Adams, Art Director for the game
Features an exclusively designed Slipcase, unique to this edition
Features variant cover art and design, exclusive to this edition
Limited to 500 copies worldwide
This book features concept art, 3D renders, sketches and more all accompanied by detailed developer commentary

Art Print:

Dimensions: 218 x 291mm
Paper/card colour, stock & weight: Hahnemuhle Pearl 285gsm
Printing process: Fine Art
Print Signed: Brenoch Adams, Art Director (Crystal Dynamics)

Book:

Dimensions: 301 x 228mm
Paper stock & weight: 140 gsm Chinese glossy art
Special finishes: Spot UV lamination on dustjacket. Matt lamination plus spot UV lamination plus sandpaper effect on slipcase.
Binding: sewn
Dustjacket: Exclusive limited variant, printed on 128gsm matt art paper with spot UV lamination.
Slipcase specification: 237 x 316 x 28mm, printed on 128gsm matt art paper over 3mm board
Limited to: 500 copies worldwide

http://anotheruniverse.co/products/r...imited-edition
Actually I have no idea if they are the same book. I didn't even know about that other one so thanks.

Taken from the Tomb Raider Store:

Quote:
Presented in a beautiful clamshell with hardcover bound book and featuring full color concept art, 3D renders, sketches and more, this book showcases the amazingly detailed characters, weapons and equipment, as well as the hostile environments found in Lara’s first Tomb Raiding expedition
Taken from Another Universe:

Quote:
Lara Croft returns, desperate for answers - and seeking a hidden truth. The Art of Rise of the Tomb Raider takes readers on an all-access behind-the-scenes journey for the latest installment in the critically and commercially acclaimed Tomb Raider franchise. Featuring concept art, 3D renders, sketches and more, accompanied by detailed developer commentary, this book showcases the amazing characters and locations found on Lara’s next adventure.
Considering they both say the bolded part of the description almost word for word and that both books are 192 pages....well, I would assume they are the same book, just different limited edition versions. The only difference I can really see is that the Another Universe version says 192 pages whereas the Official Tomb Raider Store says 192 pages plus 32 pages of exclusive storyboards from key scenes in the game, with commentary from storyboard artist Jeff Adams. Now I don't know if that 32 pages is referring to the extra pages on the left hand side of this picture that seem separate from the book.

It would make sense, but it sure doesn't appear as if there are 32 pages there. It seems like maybe 5-10 pages at most in the picture.

This is just all the more reason why Statue Forum needs a section specifically for art books. Half of the stuff that gets released never gets announced in here because this is more a book/literature forum than an art book forum.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
Grayfox117

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Actually I have no idea if they are the same book. I didn't even know about that other one so thanks.

Taken from the Tomb Raider Store:

Taken from Another Universe:

Considering they both say the bolded part of the description almost word for word and that both books are 192 pages....well, I would assume they are the same book, just different limited edition versions. The only difference I can really see is that the Another Universe version says 192 pages whereas the Official Tomb Raider Store says 192 pages plus 32 pages of exclusive storyboards from key scenes in the game, with commentary from storyboard artist Jeff Adams. Now I don't know if that 32 pages is referring to the extra pages on the left hand side of this picture that seem separate from the book.

It would make sense, but it sure doesn't appear as if there are 32 pages there. It seems like maybe 5-10 pages at most in the picture.

This is just all the more reason why Statue Forum needs a section specifically for art books. Half of the stuff that gets released never gets announced in here because this is more a book/literature forum than an art book forum.

Yeah, I was thinking the the only difference is the print on the 500 es and the extra pages for the 1500 es version. Besides the covers of course. Now I'm torn on which version to get llol.
I started a thread on Video Game art books a while back but a dedicated section would be nice.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=150346