Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

NYCC 2019 Commission Pics

I got quite a few this year. I'm waiting on Tyler Kirkham to send me a Zod commission he didn't get finished at the con.

Eddy Barrows

Artgerm

Maria Laura Sanapo

Shane Davis

generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Great haul - congrats!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
Artgerm

How was this experience? Artgerm is among my all time wish list.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
generalzodlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
How was this experience? Artgerm is among my all time wish list.
I've been trying to get on his list for years at SDCC. I went to his booth immediately on Thursday and there was already a decent line ahead of me. I was the last person chosen for a commission that day, and the only option was a quick sketch. I could have tried again the next day for a more detailed sketch, but I didn't trust that I'd make it to his booth in time so I took what I could get.

I love Artgerm. He's always super nice when I see him. I got to talk to him for about half an hour at one of Sideshow's SDCC parties a few years ago, and I see him every year at one con or another. Whenever I see him he always takes a minute to chat--even if we happen across each other away from his booth. Really a great guy, and I'm glad I finally got an original sketch from him.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
generalzodlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Great haul - congrats!
Thanks! It was my first time at NYCC, and I was really happy with how Artist Alley was set up. I like that it's away from the convention floor so the crowd there is specifically there to see the artists. Artist Alley at SDCC feels like an afterthought, and you have to fight people for space in the aisles that aren't even interested in the artists. I was able to actually spend a decent amount of time talking to most of the artists, and commissions were surprisingly easy to get, for the most part, if you got there early enough in the day.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
IG-64
Justice League

How does Artgerm's list work? Does he pick and choose what he wants to draw?
IG-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
I've been trying to get on his list for years at SDCC. I went to his booth immediately on Thursday and there was already a decent line ahead of me. I was the last person chosen for a commission that day, and the only option was a quick sketch. I could have tried again the next day for a more detailed sketch, but I didn't trust that I'd make it to his booth in time so I took what I could get.

I love Artgerm. He's always super nice when I see him. I got to talk to him for about half an hour at one of Sideshow's SDCC parties a few years ago, and I see him every year at one con or another. Whenever I see him he always takes a minute to chat--even if we happen across each other away from his booth. Really a great guy, and I'm glad I finally got an original sketch from him.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing need to be there waiting before the con opens hours before and have a game plan to immediately get to him.

Glad to hear he is nice and good to work with, it looks like a brilliant sketch.

One question about commissions at conventions, is it expected to have cash or do they have other means (PayPal, Venmo, etc)? I'd hate to have thousands of dollars on my person in a crowded area.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
generalzodlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
How does Artgerm's list work? Does he pick and choose what he wants to draw?
I haven't heard him say "No" to anyone's request when it comes to a character. Most people pick popular characters that he's done dozens of times, but Ursa from Superman II is an oddball request and he still did it.

The hardest part is getting to his booth fast enough to be one of the people in line that can get a commission before the list fills up. I think the list on Thursday was full easily within 30 minutes, and there were about 20 people in line behind me that had waited since the doors opened that weren't able to get on the list because I was the last one for the day. It looked like he had about 12-15 commissions on the list that day too.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
generalzodlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing need to be there waiting before the con opens hours before and have a game plan to immediately get to him.

Glad to hear he is nice and good to work with, it looks like a brilliant sketch.

One question about commissions at conventions, is it expected to have cash or do they have other means (PayPal, Venmo, etc)? I'd hate to have thousands of dollars on my person in a crowded area.
I got to the convention at 8am and the doors opened at 10am. I went straight to his booth and still almost didn't get one. Gotta get there early and be fast on the floor getting to the booth.

All the artists take cash (that's how I always pay), but he had a paypal option which I hadn't seen him advertise at other conventions. I think it just depends on what the artist is comfortable with. He doesn't take payment until you pick up the sketch though--probably just in case he can't get to it at the con.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
Demona
Martian Manhunter

GZ -- great additions. I love the sexy power of Maria's piece And thanks for that info on Artgerm.

I can add to the cash/electronic payment a little, not much, but some. Campbell's booth had electronic options (cellphone + the square). Finch took cash. When I was on Brooks pre-con sketch list I paid half prior (used Paypal) and he wanted cash for the remainder upon pick-up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Venmo came on strong with some artists. It's super handy and I have seen other types of vendors start using it. I LOVE it.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote