KennyB
Frackin!

Comment deleted...

Last edited by Hellboy; 07-06-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: B/S/T violation
KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #1082
grphyx1
Kingpin

the way Sideshow has the COTD website set up is exactly how GG should have done for the honey trap girls.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #1083
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
the way Sideshow has the COTD website set up is exactly how GG should have done for the honey trap girls.
Apples and oranges. Sideshow is a much bigger company and their COTD line is HUGE by comparison.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #1084
grphyx1
Kingpin

If you say so. SS, never said they were going to do an online comic book for the COTD line up (an original line). But they did it tastefully and the figures are at a decent price. I see this as a fair comparison since it's not that major difference with a website set up with four or twelve characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Apples and oranges. Sideshow is a much bigger company and their COTD line is HUGE by comparison.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #1085
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

Web Design

Quote:
If they have a web designer already then making a sister site would be no big whoop, I can do it and I do not do it for a living. I have to completely disagree with you on that one, business size should have no effect, sorry. Maybe on price but not web design in today’s market.

John M.
statuemonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #1086
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
I've always hated the apples and oranges thing. They're both fruits so I can share as hell compare them.

Let's see...both are hyped up mainstay original IP lines that are supposed to be the pride and joy of the company. Both are done by 1/4 statue companies and are comprised of 1/4 statues. Both feature mixed media and in many ways are within the same niche hobby. And most of the hype from both lines is based around purely T&A. Really how much closer would they need to be to be comparable?
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #1087
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
If you say so. SS, never said they were going to do an online comic book for the COTD line up (an original line). But they did it tastefully and the figures are at a decent price. I see this as a fair comparison since it's not that major difference with a website set up with four or twelve characters.
I'm no SS fan, but I'm really impressed with how they've managed their product. In comparison to GG, who appear to have simply abandoned any pretence that their product strategy is simply a money grab with no intention to develop any context for their sculpts beyond the fact that they're female.....and of course, everyone knows that sex sells

Don't get me wrong, the GG Honeytrap statues look great, and any collector could buy them on that premise alone. I do however think it sets the two companies apart though, and makes one appear to offer products that aim to appeal on many levels, while the other just makes products that offer nothing more than titillation.....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #1088
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
I've always hated the apples and oranges thing. They're both fruits so I can share as hell compare them.

Let's see...both are hyped up mainstay original IP lines that are supposed to be the pride and joy of the company. Both are done by 1/4 statue companies and are comprised of 1/4 statues. Both feature mixed media and in many ways are within the same niche hobby. And most of the hype from both lines is based around purely T&A. Really how much closer would they need to be to be comparable?
I agreed that it's not an apples/oranges comparison in this case. COTD is Sideshow's original IP just like Honey Trap is for Gentle Giant. Both are around the same scale and both employ complex details and a variety of painting techniques (that is they both require a lot of labor to produce and get right).

It's fair to compare the prices and marketing approaches. It's yet to be seen how if Sideshow can put their COTD preorders up on a regular basis (something better than 4 months apart).

Both companies need to work achieving their originally estimated release dates.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #1089
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post

I disagree with you on one point! CotD is not even based on T&A, unless you like your women heavily decomposed and sub human?!?! Also, unlike Honeytrap, there are an equal amount of male characters being developed as there are "female"!
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #1090
grphyx1
Kingpin

There is TnA there but it's camouflaged pretty well. They rolled these out with some interesting back stories, pretty artwork and by the time they were done you felt a familiarity with the characters. These are nothing that we, as comic book readers, movie goers, gamers, etc, haven't seen before, but it does engage us on all those levels.

GG's opening salvo for the HT girls was lined up with lots of promises, and so far we have a hot scuba girl that is beautifully done but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I disagree with you on one point! CotD is not even based on T&A, unless you like your women heavily decomposed and sub human?!?! Also, unlike Honeytrap, there are an equal amount of male characters being developed as there are "female"!