Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #181
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules75 View Post
The painting of this awesome statue was rushed because Sideshow requested that it'd be ready for display for Comic Con 2012..I'm sure they will improve the the painting sceme by the time it goes up for sale
that's good to know, it seemed the only possible explanation for such an obviously rushed job. Not that the paint itself looked like it was applied poorly, just not enough detailing
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #182
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
While I think the sculpt of ARH is really nicely done, the paint app is just plain and monotone. There shoudl be some bronze or gold on his upper robe area. I would also go with a straight black on the bottom part of his robe.

The Reaper though is really on a whole other worldly level. The ARH is 1/5 at $450 = $500 after shipping. The GR is 1/2 at $999. Far more detailed, and far more intricate. I'm not paying $450 for 1/5 statue.

The ARH is really nice. The GR LSF is smokin!!!
I'm not buying either one, but the comparison you are making is a little skewed.

First, you add shipping to the ARH cost but not the SS? Then there is the "scale" issue. SS GR is 1/2 scale but is only 34" tall while the ARH Angel of Death is 22" tall, so instead of being less than half it is nearly 2/3 the size. SS thinks the grim reaper is apparently 5'11". To paraphrase a lline from the movie Road House, "I thought you'd be bigger". The angel of death is 9' tall (or a little less because the wings are above his head and we have the base) using the scales as a guide. The point is they don't compare as apples to apples using scale only.

The weight of the SS is 20 lbs, ARH doesn't say weight but I'm confident will be much more than the half weight of 10 lbs.

The ONLY thing that I think is better on the SS is the paint scheme. I agree that the Angel of Death could use a little more detail work and some additional colors, but they need to be dark. And I like the "dirty" colored wings for the Angel of Darkness.

To me the SS grim reaper looks like the old Aurora forgotten prisoner escaped his chains and picked up a scythe.............
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #183
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I'm not buying either one, but the comparison you are making is a little skewed.

First, you add shipping to the ARH cost but not the SS? Then there is the "scale" issue. SS GR is 1/2 scale but is only 34" tall while the ARH Angel of Death is 22" tall, so instead of being less than half it is nearly 2/3 the size. SS thinks the grim reaper is apparently 5'11". To paraphrase a lline from the movie Road House, "I thought you'd be bigger". The angel of death is 9' tall (or a little less because the wings are above his head and we have the base) using the scales as a guide. The point is they don't compare as apples to apples using scale only.

The weight of the SS is 20 lbs, ARH doesn't say weight but I'm confident will be much more than the half weight of 10 lbs.

The ONLY thing that I think is better on the SS is the paint scheme. I agree that the Angel of Death could use a little more detail work and some additional colors, but they need to be dark. And I like the "dirty" colored wings for the Angel of Darkness.

To me the SS grim reaper looks like the old Aurora forgotten prisoner escaped his chains and picked up a scythe.............
Is that all? I not only think the GR has a better paint scheme, but it is much more creative (whether we like it or not), and there is just much more to it. The tailoring, the sculpt, the presence, etc.

I am not buying either of them, as none of these flip my boat, but at the end of the day, these are two VASTLY different statues marketing to different crowds.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #184
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

They certainly had a better SDCC showing last year. That Medusa alone was an eye catcher. This year they had two pretty generic warriors (barbarian was better than Spartacus for sure), a vampire that looked more like a slave girl from a fantasy novel, and paint by numbers Angel of Death. Just my opinion, but those didn't really command the attention that the just the Medusa piece alone did. I thought they were breaking out another huge piece this year, but I guess not. A step back imo.
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #185
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Is that all? I not only think the GR has a better paint scheme, but it is much more creative (whether we like it or not), and there is just much more to it. The tailoring, the sculpt, the presence, etc.

I am not buying either of them, as none of these flip my boat, but at the end of the day, these are two VASTLY different statues marketing to different crowds.
I think they market to pretty much the same crowd. If we are going to stipulate they are the same "character" more or less then I don't see how the GR is more creative. They did an amazing job on the aging of the armor, rusted metal, tattered cloak etc but the grim reaper is not generally perceived as a rotting battle armoured arisen corpse. This looks more like something from the Army of Darkness than the traditional depiction of the grim reaper. The coolest thing about the SS version to me is how he is pointing at you. But again the best part of it is the paint and presentation.

The ARH statue is more creative with the wings, and the detail of the sculpt is way better than what you can see with the painted pics. I tried to find the sculpt pics but they evidently went away when they updated the ARH website. Even the pics here are no red x's. In addition to the wings you get glow in the dark lost souls as the base. SS just has glowing eyes, and green eyes at that (no red?).

I don't want to be in a position where I am building one statue or statue company up at the expense of the other, believe me. I love SS and buy their stuff too. In fact I buy my ARH stuff through sideshow now to get the points.

But my point is if you like this character with the SS version you are getting a 34" statue for more than twice the price of a 22" statue that I personally like better. I do agree it needs a better paint presentation and the SS version is clearly the winner on that front.

I'm sure both will sell out, even with the high asking prices.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #186
loricstone
Kang

Well, it seems you and I aren't getting either so what difference does it make, eh?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #187
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Well, it seems you and I aren't getting either so what difference does it make, eh?
That's why we are the most impartial judges.......
Old 07-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #188
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsubject25 View Post
They certainly had a better SDCC showing last year. That Medusa alone was an eye catcher. This year they had two pretty generic warriors (barbarian was better than Spartacus for sure), a vampire that looked more like a slave girl from a fantasy novel, and paint by numbers Angel of Death. Just my opinion, but those didn't really command the attention that the just the Medusa piece alone did. I thought they were breaking out another huge piece this year, but I guess not. A step back imo.
i mostly agree with this. The vampire queen is way too simple both the paint & sculpt. Angel of death is the biggest let down, i loved the computer sculpt they showed, but couldnt believe my eyes when they released the painted version, imo arh completely botched the paint on this. Who's idea was it to put these gimmicky glow in the dark crap on the statue, also the wing color/detail is horrible, very disappointed. It looks like a christmas tree with all those unrelated colors of the wings/body/souls on the base meshed together.

But i really like the barbarian (just received my bloodbath version last week), it's probably just me but there is something vicious & raw about this statue holding a bag of skulls with the head down hair over face pissed off look. Cant help but smile everytime i see this piece as i walk by. It's distinctly arh, something sideshow can never produce.

spartacus was okie but nothing special.

i hope they redo the angel of death paint completely...
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #189
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
i mostly agree with this. The vampire queen is way too simple both the paint & sculpt. Angel of death is the biggest let down, i loved the computer sculpt they showed, but couldnt believe my eyes when they released the painted version, imo arh completely botched the paint on this. Who's idea was it to put these gimmicky glow in the dark crap on the statue, also the wing color/detail is horrible, very disappointed. It looks like a christmas tree with all those unrelated colors of the wings/body/souls on the base meshed together.

But i really like the barbarian (just received my bloodbath version last week), it's probably just me but there is something vicious & raw about this statue holding a bag of skulls with the head down hair over face pissed off look. Cant help but smile everytime i see this piece as i walk by. It's distinctly arh, something sideshow can never produce.

spartacus was okie but nothing special.

i hope they redo the angel of death paint completely...
I am in 100% agreement with you on the Barbarian statue. Its painted really well, and has a nice presence about it.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #190
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsubject25 View Post
This year they had two pretty generic warriors (barbarian was better than Spartacus for sure)

yeah, like my original post, I agree that the barb was the best. I'll have to see him in person though! I just don't see how you go from that Medusa and Thor, to this other stuff they're schlepping out.
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote