Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #1121
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
I challenge you to find one screen capture from one of the two original movies (or any predator movie for that fact), that shows the thigh armor in that position. Or the hundreds of Predator garage kits that have been produced in the last 30 years, or basically any official reference to Predator ever made and find something that shows the armor in that position. You are obviously a casual fan telling Predator die-hards that we don't know what we are talking about. It's like if I was having my annual physical, and my doctor told me that I should stop smoking because it causes cancer, and I responded that I have seen no proof that smoking causes cancer.

No one is asking for perfection. Steve Wang probably couldn't reproduce the Predator exactly as he did it back in the 80's. What we are asking for is actually pretty reasonable. Not to make critical errors like putting the armor in the wrong spot, or completely botching the sculpt of the P2 helmet, or making the P2 spear half the size it should be. You know, all of the things that are routinely achieved on a $200 plastic figure.
Honestly, I don't care to get in to it with anyone here anymore. I just don't see the point. I love it and that's what matters, this hobby is rather selfish in that sense.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #1122
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker View Post
But like I said, just wait for the next best thing. Predators and Aliens are the meat and potatoes of sci-fi so someone will always be making something better than what came out last month. Just be patient.
That's not entirely true. Before CoolProps came along all we really had in the high-end collectible department for the Alien and Predator licenses were Sideshow and HCG.

There are plenty of companies that make small, plastic, nick-knacks and figures from both franchises. People see these gimmicky toys all the time and assume the A/P franchises get lots of love, and they do, but not for the high-end collector who wants large high-quality, accurate, statues and busts.
Xenoburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #1123
Polystones
Doh!

Won't that be a '1st' then? ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
I wonder whether the bio is actually not a COH, but an add-on piece. Magnetized, perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
No...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
Snap Snap

(* it's 2 separate headsculpts Polystones *)

... Don't recall any other 'swap out' heads that parted company from the body at chin level?!

... Just saying

(I know you two will be the first to apologise if I'm correct)
Polystones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #1124
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker View Post
Not sure why people are still mulching over the same complaints on this piece. If you don't like it just don't order it and wait for the next Predator to be released.
In a perfect world, this makes perfect sense. But Sideshow has been the only high-end game in town for quite some time. I didn't used to care because I had Narin to fall back on, but it seems he has faded into obscurity. I'm not sure if you know the background of the Sideshow/Predator relationship, and just how long a lot of us have been waiting for another SS Predator that doesn't have critical errors. In theory that is what I do, because I have refused to purchase any of the statues/maquettes that I didn't feel were done right. I pass and I wait, and every time a new opportunity arises, it ends up having the same critical mistakes/oversights. It is usually really good, except for one or two things that are simply a deal breaker, especially at the $1,000+ price point.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #1125
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
Honestly, I don't care to get in to it with anyone here anymore. I just don't see the point. I love it and that's what matters, this hobby is rather selfish in that sense.
That's cool. But loving it personally, and saying that there is nothing fundamentally incorrect about it are two totally different things.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #1126
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polystones View Post
. . . Don't recall any other 'swap out' heads that parted company from the body at chin level?! ... Just saying (I know you two will be the first to apologise if I'm correct)
Col & I make mistakes like everyone else. We've also both apologised when those mistakes were identified.

But as regards your first comment - I (genuinely) have no idea what you meant by that. Please elaborate.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #1127
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
That's cool. But loving it personally, and saying that there is nothing fundamentally incorrect about it are two totally different things.
True, good thing I don't think it's perfect, I mean where are the shoulder quills right?

Don't waste two years of your life in this thread, not worth it.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #1128
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Exactly.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #1129
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
I love it and that's what matters...
Collectorcol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #1130
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Deimos View Post
Doesn't need to be 100%, but it needs to be more accurate than this. This just seemed to be slapped together in some ways and some things are way off. When a $100 figure has more effort put into it than a $1250 high end statue people have every right to complain!
How can anyone surmise that??? That is the most inaccurate statement one could make.

More effort??? Please! One look at this Predator shows that lots of effort was put into it. There were just some decisions on a couple aspects of it that are different than what a select few Predator purists wanted. Has nothing to do with effort!

That's a slap to any artists face! Not cool bro....just...not cool!!
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote