Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #81
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I thought Avatar was one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen personally. I mean it was okay, but not really franchise material. I guess money talks however and Avatar hit at exactly the right time to capitalise on the 3d gimmick. Hence it made a fortune. Will a sequel hit the same heights without such help? Who knows...
Agreed...overrated and I don't even think it's rated all that highly. 3d gimmick sold the tickets. Mediocre film otherwise.

I think the first one, maybe two, will do well. If they aren't well written or don't have some amazing 3d work,...I see the franchise fizzling. I really don't understand the commitment.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #82
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I could totally see these films being received much the same way the Matrix sequels were.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #83
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

It's a shame that this is where Cameron decided to hang his hat for the foreseeable future. It's just the least interesting thing he's done IMO. Technologically it's an important film, what with modern 3D and all, but narratively I don't think it's that great. We'll see what the sequels do but I'm not holding my breath. It's Cameron so I don't ever dismiss him but I'm just not that interested in returning to Pandora.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #84
Luminous
Cyclops

I enjoyed Avatar the first couple of times I saw it. Now, the more I see it the more I dislike it.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #85
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I could totally see these films being received much the same way the Matrix sequels were.
It definitely has that vibe.

Sci-fi movie, with a self contained story, comes out of "nowhere" and becomes a critical and financial success. Producers are surprised of its success, and decide to capitalize by expanding the story to make more movies.

The Matrix sequels were decent, but they definitely felt off from the first film. I believe it was due in part from hastily putting out the movies to capitalize the momentum created from the first film. I'm perfectly fine with Cameron's decision to expand his story, I just hope he takes it in unexpected ways.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote