Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-19-2017, 02:01 AM   #1
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Your Original Artwork Stories from the 80s or 90s - Comic, Pinup, Animation Cel Art

Going from the podcast topic that FelixComicArt has setup. I was wondering if more members here have stories from the 80s or 90s about finding original artwork. It could be comic or other art like pinup or animation cel artwork.

I pretty much stumbled on to original artwork in the mid 90s. I never considered owning an actual page from a comic or a scene from a cartoon or anime before then. I know with animation cel art I started to see gallery stores in malls. I think the first was a Disney or animation art in general store. They seemed high end and I was kind of afraid to go in. It wasn't like a comic shop with comics, figures, books and other stuff everywhere. The cartoon cel artwork was framed on walls and setup like a museum. The people working there looked like professionals. I just assumed it was way more than I could afford.

With original comic art, I came across someone that collected rarer, expensive issues and signed items. Eventually he picked up an original sketch or something that I wasn't used to seeing and hearing the price he paid. I think it was months or a few years after that, that I came across a signed poster which I believe had the option of a bonus sketch. It wasn't that expensive so I got the sketch as well. I'm sure I posted this story before but I was surprised at the size of the comic board when I received it. I guess I assumed it would be the size of the comic.

Post stories if you have them.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I spent the 80's watching cartoons. I also spent the 90's watching cartoons.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
joerock
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I'm 36 and still watching cartoons...haha
joerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
BillC
Hellboy

I was a kid working in the local comic store- this was likely 1990 when OA got in the news as a collectible after being in a Sotheby's auction IIRC.

Anyway the owner from behind the register calls over to me- at the new release table- and tells me about how OA is now being sold and making news.

I think I just looked over at him and scoffed, like "Why would anyone want pages of this stuff in black and white? You can see them in the comics in color". And went about my way.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #6
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I was a kid working in the local comic store- this was likely 1990 when OA got in the news as a collectible after being in a Sotheby's auction IIRC.

Anyway the owner from behind the register calls over to me- at the new release table- and tells me about how OA is now being sold and making news.

I think I just looked over at him and scoffed, like "Why would anyone want pages of this stuff in black and white? You can see them in the comics in color". And went about my way.
The whole black and white thing and not color confused me as well when I saw my first comic art page. It took someone to explain the process for me to understand it. I simply thought since the comic is in color, why isn't the original art in color? Makes sense unless you breakdown the process.

I think the only colored art I've seen is someone that posted the original Jim Lee X-Men poster art that was colored directly.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
madmanny

I also like cartoons.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote