Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-19-2015, 04:47 AM   #111
qz33
Baron Zemo

I wouldn't watch the trailers or read anything. Only thing I'd seen was Kylo and that was just inescapable.

Lucas should have hired McQuarrie to sketch concepts for everything he could have wanted and just sat on it IN CASE he wanted to do it. 30 years later and all we get are Tie Fighters and X-Wings. The prequel designs stuck in the OT inspirations mostly all sucked as well.

Hated Phasma and glad she wasn't much in the movie. Thought the Storm Trooper redesign was bleh and the Snow Troopers look laughable but were one of my favorite costumes from the OT.

Can Star Wars not have new designs that are awesome?
Star Wars is always about design aesthetics and this one seemed to be lacking that everywhere
Boy J.J. Abrams sure loves the color red in his doomsday plot devices.

I can get over Kylo Ren being lacking as he seems he is supposed to be a talented brat that ultimately is a phuck up due to his undisciplined over reactions and over confidence in his abilities. At least that's how he came across and those traits show in his design as well. Anybody else notice his thumping after he was injured sounds so metallic? Maybe he'll be more mechanical as the movies go along.

BB-88 is an example of getting something perfectly right. A totally original droid and yet still self sacrificing loyal and loveable. Got reactions George Lucas expected from Jar Jar's antics. The best new Star Wars character since Darth Maul. They got so lucky with him.

Chewbacca was stellar in the movie. Didn't like seeing his fingers though. Even with all the repairing in the OT I don't think you ever see them? Just looked weird to me.

Getting Phil Tippet to do the Dejarik/Monster board game was a as awesome as any fan service could ever be. I didn't even hear about it before I just saw it in the credits.

So thankful for more Star Wars.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #112
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I thought the trooper had an American accent, but I could be wrong. I will listen closer on my next viewing.
Yes, Yahoo has confirmed that the mind controlled trooper by Rey was indeed....

Daniel Craig

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/daniel-...182747377.html
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #113
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Saw the movie Friday night on IMAX...and thought overall it was pretty good! Much better than all the prequels and a nice tip of the hat to the OT.

Some random thoughts...

1.) Kylo Ren...bad ass at the beginning of the film. A pinch of emo at the end.

2.) Finn seemed to capture the spirit of A New Hope Luke.

3.) Rey was AWESOME. Played with such emotion and depth. The anchor of the film next to Han.

4.) Poe Dameron...cool character and pilot.

5.) Maz Kanata...female yoda?

6.) Captain Phasma...cool but underused. Should have had at least one action scene demonstrating her prowess.

7.) Supreme Leader Snoke...poor man version of Emperor.

8.) General Hux...love his interplay with Kylo Ren. Came off as a bit too tyranny and whiney.

9.) Han Solo...still cool! Loved his humor with Chewy. Death was not a surprise. Also not very emotional.

10.) General Leia...neat to witness her reunion with Han. Her performance was a bit wooden and lacking emotion.

11.) BB-8...funny and worthy replacement for R2. Bill Hader's quirky modulated dialect was the perfect voice for BB-8.

12.) Chewbacca...loved seeing him use his bow weapon. Several funny scenes with Han and Finn. Wish there was some acknowledgement of Han's death.

13.) Luke Skywalker...hoping to see more screentime. LOVED his only scene at the end and how it left you wanting more!

Overall, I give this a solid "A" and applaud J.J. for this homage to the OT.

Definitely will see it again 2 or 3 times during the Christmas break.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #114
ambasah
Red Skull

I just turned 6 when I saw "star wars" in the theater for the first time. There is simply nothing that can recapture that experience or how I felt as a child watching ESB and ROTJ.

The new movie was great. There were some parts I didn't love and I agree we need more originality for the next one (I will shoot myself if it is another death star) but I am just ecstatic to have more star wars to share with my pals and family.

This is what I wanted from the prequels. Not necessarily "better" than the OT, but something worthy or carrying on that legacy.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #115
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
That's my hope as well. Great thing is we only have a year and a half to wait.
I still can't believe I live in a time where I will have seen three brand new Star Wars movies in the span of a year and a half!!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #116
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

John Campea agrees with me on the Han death. Maybe he explains it better. For me they blew it. Like him I still enjoyed the movie.

Go to 36.00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoTyNikmZc
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #117
adee
Green Arrow

Marvelito, Go trademark deja-boot!

Spot on for this movie.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #118
Teague
Iron Man

: Already posted something like this on FB, but wanted to come join the conversation here, too.

Personally, I think this movie was something of a no-win situation for the producers, and that Force Awakens was pretty much the best case scenario: something that sparks life into the poorly-treated but much-loved franchise, restarting a new series of films with new characters, and still heaping on the nostalgia for all that's come before (at least in the 70s and 80s).

That's not to say there weren't some mis-steps: Han's death was fine, but if that wasn't a great opportunity to see Chewie go completely nuts, I don't know where they'd find one. It would have been amazing to see Chewie cut loose through a horde of Troopers, taking out his wookie rage on those that just killed his best friend. And the overall reaction to Han's death was badly handled. Rey seemed most affected by it, frankly, and Leia and Chewie were robbed of a moment there.

I'm also not sure how they bring Kylo Ren back, as a character. Other than a Vader-style deathbed conversion back to the Light, I don't see how they reclaim the character of the asshat who killed his father (who just happened to be the beloved Han Solo).

But the movie was a ton of fun. Was it derivative? Sure. But I'd argue that derivative is exactly what fans have wanted for the last thirty-plus years. We wanted to see our old friends again, and now we have. We can see them climb out of another Sarlaac-pit-of-their-own-making, and see the ends of their stories, and the beginnings of others. Again, best-case scenario: respect the old, invest in the new.

Most of all, I think that those of us who lived and loved the Star Wars franchise as kids (I was 7 when the first one came out) can't be objective about this, because we're not comparing the new movie to the old. We're comparing the joy of the experience of Star Wars, and Empire, and Jedi, to one moviegoing experience--playing with the toys, talking about the movies with friends, wearing the underoos, dressing like them at Halloween, all of it. We're comparing an entire childhood to one flick; and no matter how good that flick is, it's never going to compare favorably to all the fun you remember as a kid with a toy blaster at your side.

My daughters (12 and 16) love the new movie. They want the toys, they want to see the next one. They know enough about Han to care that he was killed, but love Rey because that's THEIR Star Wars now. That, to me, is an amazing accomplishment. I am so happy to be able to share this with my girls. And the fact that I can take them and talk about it with them and anticipate the next movie? That's a great gift.

Just my two credits.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #119
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I wouldn't watch the trailers or read anything. Only thing I'd seen was Kylo and that was just inescapable.

Lucas should have hired McQuarrie to sketch concepts for everything he could have wanted and just sat on it IN CASE he wanted to do it. 30 years later and all we get are Tie Fighters and X-Wings. The prequel designs stuck in the OT inspirations mostly all sucked as well.
And the new X-Wings were based on a design by McQuarrie
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #120
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
And the new X-Wings were based on a design by McQuarrie
They are basically the same X-Wings. 30 years have passed in the story and the X-Wings ad Tie Fighters are still the dominant designs?
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote