Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 07-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #11
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker
...he said I am not drawing for you buddy....
Woah, he sounds like a genuine tool. What was he doing, playing with your emotions by asking you to get at the end of the line, then later blatently refusing to do a sketch? Don't these guys know where their money and notoriety come from? Um, that would be from us!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 AM   #12
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

deadlines are deadlines. these guys have already paid for these sketches and he has set aside time for signing
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:44 AM   #13
ANGRYCOMICMAN
Cobra Command

Some of these guys need a wake up call. The way to do it is to go to http://www.cbgxtra.com/ (Comics Buyers Guide website). Register (if you're not a member), then hammer the hell out him on their blogs. I do it all the time, how do you think I got the name "ANGRYCOMICMAN". Then you go to the shows and introduce yourself, politely. If they're still an arse-hole after that, hammer them more. A lot of comic writers & artists cringe when they see me.
ANGRYCOMICMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
perfusin
The Spirit

WOW what a ****. Where would he be without his fans? The least he could have done is sign it. So he has time to stand around and talk if he's trying to meet deadlines?
perfusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #15
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfusin
WOW what a ****. Where would he be without his fans? The least he could have done is sign it. So he has time to stand around and talk if he's trying to meet deadlines?
My sentiments exactly. If you have time to chat, you have time to sign for 2 seconds...that is, if you can do 2 things at the same time.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #16
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Thumbs up

I have a good story about an artist who actually cares and stays longer. I was at the chicago con 2 years ago and ross was signing, well when they anounced him they caped the line within 10 minutes. IT was a huge line but in convention terms nothing major. Well I went to the back of the line and then waited with another person, the idoit girl was saying I dont know why you are here he wont sign anything after that line is finished. Blah, blah, blah, We waited then soon after more people formed a line behind us. Well about 30 mins before he began signing there was an additional 50 peole easy wainting at this newly formed line which I was second . Time after time this Cu nt told people you're standing here for nothing, leave, you're wasting time here. She went a guy in a wheel chair away, a boy no more than 10 years old, and several other hardcore fans. Well about 45 minutes in he wized by the first line, she went to him and asked if he wanted to continue, he said sure, I got my mythology book signed and several statues and a picture. I also got all my wolverine earth x busts signed. I had about 2 statues, 3 busts and a book and he signed it all. He even took a picture with me. Very nice guy, afterwads I was walking around shopping with ck13 who helped me during the signing process to keep it fast, they kept anouncing that he was still signing books for about another 30 mins. HE wiped through the second line as well and remained to sign those that were turned away by that rude, BI#ch.
I wish all these comic guys could stay humble
Say what you want about his work, love it or hate it, that is one cool move he made for his fans at that con
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
Barbarian
Jedi Order

See? That's what I'm talking about. Truly a legend. If only other artists shared this perspective.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #18
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

It's always a risk meeting someone whose work you admire, sometimes it's better not to because you tend not to enjoy it so much if he/she is a jerk. I've been pretty fortunate and only had 1 minor snub and it was Bill Tuci, he pulled the whole I'm not signing now when there was no one in front of him, he was just sitting there with pens at the ready. It's a good think I don't care much for his work.

I did witness Geof Darrow being a complete @ss when someone I know went to get his signature, Geoff said he was signing, my friend placed the books in front of him sideways, Geoff looked at the books and then at my friend because the books were not placed down in front of him so they were upside right to Geoff he wasn't going to sign them, my friend "straigtened" the books for him and he signed them. My friend stopped buying his work and gave away the books he got signed.

On the other hand 99.9% of the artist I have met have been stellar with their time and efforts in meeting me, so it's a few jerks, that's to be expected.
I love Bolland's stuff, it's a shame that happened.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #19
Barbarian
Jedi Order

So, on a positive note, I was able to meet Clayburn Moore, and spent a total of about 20 minutes chatting with him on Thursday and Friday. He is ,without a doubt, my favorite sculptor, and now even more so. A gentleman of the highest calibur.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #20
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian
So, on a positive note, I was able to meet Clayburn Moore, and spent a total of about 20 minutes chatting with him on Thursday and Friday. He is ,without a doubt, my favorite sculptor, and now even more so. A gentleman of the highest calibur.
I meet clayburn moore in '99 at chicago. cool dude
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote