Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
louiseterm
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

buying resin kits ebay

has anyone ever bought anything from this seller or have any info on whether these kits are recast or not also if i do buy a kit from him looking at the stargate death glider how would i glue him together and what paints shouldi use im in the uk http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stargate-SG1-Deathglider-Resin-Kit-Warp-Models-1-35_W0QQitemZ170333531962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN?hash=item170333531962&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
louiseterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
logan25
Sculptor
Sculptor

Not bought from him but looking at the details and his other listings, all seems above board to me. As for glue, super glue for small bits and 2 part epoxy for bigger heavy bits (if there are any particularly heavy bits you could do with drilling and pinning as well as the epoxy), you want to wash the kit to remove any mould release agent and prime it before painting as well. the easiest paints to use are acryllics, if your using a brush you will want to thin the paint down with either water or an acryllic thinner and apply several coats so as to have a smooth finish. Games workshop or Valejo are probably the easiest and best to get hold of
logan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
louiseterm

how sorry if this sounds dumb but im new to the whole maing things how do i prime something
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
stonie104
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Dont worry about not knowing something, we all start that way and either bungle are way through or get advice (someone will probably write a reply to this telling me im mad but each painter has there own methods most of the time)

By priming a model you basicly give the model a flat coat of paint as a base to work off, different painters prefer different colour undercoats though most use a grey primer and build up the colour from that

if you dont have an air brush the easiest and cleanist way to prime is to buy a spray can of undercoat you can get these from games workshop (black or white undercoat) or I would recomend from a company online called 'The Army Painter' they do various colours for undercoats although I would always recomend sticking with either grey, lack or white as your undercoat as there other colour undercoats dont seem to take paint over them as well.

I cant stress enough how easy it is when using spray can undercoats to over do it and fill in detail, so be carefull and remember less is more, several VERY light coats is better then one thick coat!

If the model your painting if mostly one colour (red for example) and you dont have an airbrush then a lightly applied white undercoat, then using a red spray to go over it will save you the hassle of using a brush to paint the red in and the spray leaves a smooth clean finish without any brush marks

Hope this is helpful, good luck
stonie104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
louiseterm

thanks for the help will start looking around for the right stuff to buy now and will look for a decnt beginner airbrush as that seems the best way to go now if only i could find more sculpts in the uk
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonie104 View Post
Dont worry about not knowing something, we all start that way and either bungle are way through or get advice (someone will probably write a reply to this telling me im mad but each painter has there own methods most of the time)

By priming a model you basicly give the model a flat coat of paint as a base to work off, different painters prefer different colour undercoats though most use a grey primer and build up the colour from that

if you dont have an air brush the easiest and cleanist way to prime is to buy a spray can of undercoat you can get these from games workshop (black or white undercoat) or I would recomend from a company online called 'The Army Painter' they do various colours for undercoats although I would always recomend sticking with either grey, lack or white as your undercoat as there other colour undercoats dont seem to take paint over them as well.

I cant stress enough how easy it is when using spray can undercoats to over do it and fill in detail, so be carefull and remember less is more, several VERY light coats is better then one thick coat!

If the model your painting if mostly one colour (red for example) and you dont have an airbrush then a lightly applied white undercoat, then using a red spray to go over it will save you the hassle of using a brush to paint the red in and the spray leaves a smooth clean finish without any brush marks

Hope this is helpful, good luck
Wonderful first post dude. Really helpful Welcome to the forum guys!!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
stonie104
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Wonderful first post dude. Really helpful Welcome to the forum guys!!!
Thanks dude

Quote:
now if only i could find more sculpts in the uk
Being from the UK myself I know how you feel, if you PM what kits interest you I can put you on to some great UK sellers and producers.

Dont be affraid of buying from the USA, there postage prices make are's look like daylight robbery and even with the current poor pound to dollar currency conversion its still very competetive

I love buying kits from the UK as I know im contributing to the industry here, but when a model comes along which takes my breath away, well I wouldnt care where its from a long as its not a re-cast
stonie104 is offline   Reply With Quote