Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
rabid_wolf
Justice League

building 1/4 scale wall

I was wondering if anyone can give me advise on building a 1/4 scale stone wall from foam. What kind of foam should I use (preferrable something I can pick up a at a hardware store). I saw some people making a stone wall out of what appeared to be insulating foam, sculpting stone indents into the foam and then painting it to give a faux stone appearance. This is what I am interested in doing. Any advise on what material to use would be appreciated. Thanks.
rabid_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

That blue or pink insulation foam might work for you and is readily available at hardware stores. A better choice would be balsa foam though. You generally have to order it unless you have a nearby art store that is well stocked. Balsa foam lends itself very well to looking like stone. Hope this helps
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
rabid_wolf
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshizle@gmail. View Post
That blue or pink insulation foam might work for you and is readily available at hardware stores. A better choice would be balsa foam though. You generally have to order it unless you have a nearby art store that is well stocked. Balsa foam lends itself very well to looking like stone. Hope this helps
Thanks. I actually sculpted one out of styrofoam. This is my first attemot.Looks pretty good so far. I need to find the right type of paint to color it with. I used a stone colored testured spray paint as an experiment on a little piece of styrofoam but it has a sticky after coat. Any suggestions? Also I want some sort of sealer I can spray it with so it wont flake. Suggestions on that would be appreciated too.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

As far as I know anything from a can will eat it so stay away from that. I've heard of using latex house paint as a base coat. How big is this section of wall you are building? Also once you have a layer or two of paint on it an aerosol sealer should be fine and won't eat it. Just make sure there is no exposed foam.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
rabid_wolf
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshizle@gmail. View Post
As far as I know anything from a can will eat it so stay away from that. I've heard of using latex house paint as a base coat. How big is this section of wall you are building? Also once you have a layer or two of paint on it an aerosol sealer should be fine and won't eat it. Just make sure there is no exposed foam.
The wall is about 14 inches high and 20 inches wide. I experimented with Tamiya acrylic paint which appears to be OK.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
streetjudge79
U talkin' to me?

Definitely balsa foam. What's great with it is that you can take aluminum foil, wrap it up in a ball and texture the foam with it and it looks exactly like stone. It's not cheap but it is easy to work with and will give you the desired results you seek.
streetjudge79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
rabid_wolf
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetjudge79 View Post
Definitely balsa foam. What's great with it is that you can take aluminum foil, wrap it up in a ball and texture the foam with it and it looks exactly like stone. It's not cheap but it is easy to work with and will give you the desired results you seek.
Thanks. I actually heard about Balsa foam but cant find it at any hobby store.

I finished the wall in styrofoam and looks pretty good. I am adding a large base with styrofoam. My vision is to build a large extension and background to my Captain America PF to formulate a diorama. I will post pictures once Im done. I want to get people's opinions on the board once Im done to see if it compliments the PF. If not then I will try it again with Balsa foam