Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 02-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #111
DarkShadow
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The lack of nostril shading seems to be related to the use of this new clear resin. Isildur doesn’t have them painted either. Personally I’m not reallly bothered by it. Just find it odd it’s become a perceived issue with Thranduil while Isildur gets a pass.
You just made me check out the nostrils of my statues

From what I can see, Weta never really paints the nostrils. It's just sculpted, with shadows doing the work. The difference now is that the resin seems to let some light through the nose, which makes it appear a little lighter? That said, you can only see it if you're looking for it. I guess it might show on photos more, but you'll never see if if you look at your statue like a normal person.
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #112
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

makes sense. Like I said, it doesn’t bother me.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #113
pinkxter
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
That's probably the least of the issues with this statue. And with Anthony from Weta now confirming 'what you see is what you get' [translation: don't get your hopes up that the prod. piece is going to look like the proto.] it looks like all but the most rabid of Weta sycophants are starting to sharpen their pitchforks. All the more frustrating given the fact Isildur looks so amazing. True, there are only a handful of Isildur pics out there so perhaps we should all wait for better pictures before passing judgement........
Where did Anthony say that? Could you share his update?

I was thinking if Weta allows to cancel and put the deposit on another piece, if that would be possible.
pinkxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #114
pinkxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
You just made me check out the nostrils of my statues

From what I can see, Weta never really paints the nostrils. It's just sculpted, with shadows doing the work. The difference now is that the resin seems to let some light through the nose, which makes it appear a little lighter? That said, you can only see it if you're looking for it. I guess it might show on photos more, but you'll never see if if you look at your statue like a normal person.

Good point by HellBoy, i guess since Thranduil is so pale it stands out - plus what you said about the resin makes sense.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #115
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thranduil’s display angle also makes the nostril area more noticeable with him riding high on the elk and looking forward/upwards Vs Isildur looking down at the ring.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #116
pinkxter

Quote:
Thranduil’s display angle also makes the nostril area more noticeable with him riding high on the elk and looking forward/upwards Vs Isildur looking down at the ring.
haha - now all im looking is nostrils, didn't notice it until you mentioned Isildur
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #117
pinkxter

anyone here canceling their order?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #118
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxter View Post
anyone here canceling their order?
Hell no! I know better. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying there isn’t reason for concern but as I stated before I’ve seen enough early relaese pics/videos raise an eyebrow only to have them proven to be worst case scenarios or isolated bad paint apps. I’ll wait to judge in person and proceed accordingly.

And just because I’m not a knee jerk grab your pitchfork type of collector doesn’t mean I won’t evalute the piece critically once it’s in hand. I’ll have no problem returning it for a full refund should it not meet my expectations. I just think it’s important to remember these are individually hand painted pieces so it might not be wise to judge an entire run of 750 statues off a couple collectors submitting in hand pics and videos some of which are of questionable quality.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #119
pinkxter

Quote:
Hell no! I know better. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying there isn’t reason for concern but as I stated before I’ve seen enough early relaese pics/videos raise an eyebrow only to have them proven to be worst case scenarios or isolated bad paint apps. I’ll wait to judge in person and proceed accordingly.

And just because I’m not a knee jerk grab your pitchfork type of collector doesn’t mean I won’t evalute the piece critically once it’s in hand. I’ll have no problem returning it for a full refund should it not meet my expectations. I just think it’s important to remember these are individually hand painted pieces so it might not be wise to judge an entire run of 750 statues off a couple collectors submitting in hand pics and videos some of which are of questionable quality.
my concern is return policy if I don't like it up to standard.

Would I have to pay to ship it back?

I am not sure what return policy if any exists from Weta.

I was just thinking will I be out more money if I am not satisfied with the product and have to return it back.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #120
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxter View Post
my concern is return policy if I don't like it up to standard.

Would I have to pay to ship it back?

I am not sure what return policy if any exists from Weta.

I was just thinking will I be out more money if I am not satisfied with the product and have to return it back.
The only way I could see you losing anything would be if you’re in a location that charges duties or VAT. I’m not so I can’t tell how those work when it comes to returning merchandise. As far as Weta is concerned, if they deliver a product that is damaged or not as advertised then the return shipping should be on them. I’ve had to return several pieces under both categories and they’ve never not given me a return shipping label. That said others may have had different experiences so don’t form your decision based on my example alone.

In the meantime some more pics have surfaced that may calm your nerves a bit. It’s studio lighting, which I think is still making the elk appear a bit too glossy but it’s much better than the previous pics and may ease concerns. I think the piece looks pretty good myself but we really won’t be able to tell for certain until we see it in some natural lighting.

Pics in Post # 1024 https://www.flameofudun.net/forum/co...old-out/page52