Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
sonciscape
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Can anyone do a textures tutorial?

I've seen some of the sculpts on this forums and the textures are amazing! Really brings the sculpt to life.

I was wondering if anyone could be kind enough to do a simple tutorial on how to add textures to clothing, armour etc effectively..
sonciscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
HELLION
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I'll try and answer your question but it's one aspect of sculpting I find hard to get info on. Nobody really talks about how they make a texture or effect and if they mention it's a really generic answer. So my response will not be that much more in depth but I'll tell you what I know.
First study textures on sculptures you like, try to imagine how it was made: was it a texture pad, or a textured object or maybe a special tool.
Next is to search and experiment with different textured items. I walk around with a piece of clay and indent the textured item to see what it produces. If I like I store in a small plastic box making sure not to damage the soft clay texture pads and bake as soon as possible. It's important to make the texture pad a size and shape you can use, a big flat pad can only really be used on big flat surface. Also I make texture pads from clay but I like to use left over Aves Apoxie or FIXIT because it's more durable. I sculpt alot and use these products regular but I alway have some left over when I work with it so I make texture pads and waste nothing.
Of course a texture pad is not absolutly nessecary, you could just use the item you got texture from if it's the right size to apply the texture. But every surface will give you two textures. The original, take the clay and press on surface, one texture. Then the inverse when you press that texture pad to another clay surface.
Some good surfaces to try: rocks, sponges, fabric, salt, sandpaper, broken bar of soap, wood, ham sandwich and a million others. Finding them is a blast and I even get my kids involved.
There are some tools out there that will make Textures like scales and other patters so look around or make them yourself.
Another method is to add clay in such a way as to give texture. Tine balls of clay placed all over and "melted down" with clay softner or alcohol will form a bumpy texture perfect for reptiles. Taking small tubes of clay and applying them the right way can produce a very organic texture.
For skin textures I've seen lines sculpted in to make the cracked skin of a rhino or a toothbrush to make the pores for human like skin.
The name of the game is to experiment.
I hope I was some help and I hope other artists speak up and help out!
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Those are great tips, Hellion!
will give a try!
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
HELLION

Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
de-compositions
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

i have also taken model kits that i have take for instance a dinosaur .it has tons of textures on it if well done i.e. the horizon dino kits etc. rub a light coat of vasaline on the area first, then you can squirt out some silicone from a tube (like the stuff from ther hardware store), and using a q tip smear it around the area you want and let it cure .this time of year if you are up north this might take a while so if you can do it in a garage where it isnt freezing ,this would be better just look around at all of the collectables you have toys etc.
de-compositions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
HELLION

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-compositions View Post
i have also taken model kits that i have take for instance a dinosaur .it has tons of textures on it if well done i.e. the horizon dino kits etc. rub a light coat of vasaline on the area first, then you can squirt out some silicone from a tube (like the stuff from ther hardware store), and using a q tip smear it around the area you want and let it cure .this time of year if you are up north this might take a while so if you can do it in a garage where it isnt freezing ,this would be better just look around at all of the collectables you have toys etc.
I'll have to try that out and it sounds like a great way to get all textures as the material is soft after it cures, right? If so it would be easier to apply the texture to a sculpture.
thanks for the heads up d comp!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

I don't know much about textures.
But here's a great tutorial.
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=60
Plus if you need help with wax texturing... let me know I may be able to start one for you guys.
Next week maybe?
I am sure that people like Andy, Ray, or even Mr. Bruckner would be delighted to help out.
Also, you have to consider the fact these guys hardly sleep..so maybe we should ask them for some info?
-E
ZKULPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
sonciscape
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

thanks! very helpful indeed.
sonciscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Malumsonitas
Doh!

these are great tips Hellion. Is it possible for example to first bake a sculpture made out of super sculpey and then use Vaseline to attach fresh sculpey and make a fur texture on the sculpture with a tool? have you tried this, if even possible?
Malumsonitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #10
HELLION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malumsonitas View Post
these are great tips Hellion. Is it possible for example to first bake a sculpture made out of super sculpey and then use Vaseline to attach fresh sculpey and make a fur texture on the sculpture with a tool? have you tried this, if even possible?
possible? yes, for sure and much more