Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #51
Star-struck
The Spirit

I started my collecting years off with mostly DC Collectibles. Tracking down old pieces and getting excited about upcoming ones. It was so much fun back then. I still have quite a few from them but I stopped almost completely due to their horrible QC. Maybe low sales/revenue was a reason why they couldn't afford better QC, idk. The death of floppies was a long way coming and with the virus it makes sense to begin the process to remove them. I don't like it, but I understand it. I hope the DC animated original movies don't go away though. I liked those a lot.
Star-struck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #52
Primal
Batman

Now it makes sense why DC was licensing out their figures to McFarlane toys.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:16 AM   #53
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Part of me is not to surprised that AT&T took an axe to DC, the last 10 years or so haven't been all that great at DC as far as comic book stories, TV shows and movies... While Marvel has been hauling in boatloads of money with their movies DC has been struggling with only a few successes...
Yeah, their comic book stories largely have been terrible. New 52 was the beginning of the end, with the exception of Snyder’s Batman. Even bringing back the original Superman, an admission of what a mistake New 52 was, and Rebirth which was the final admission of this same mistake, couldn’t help them. Bendis’ Superman felt like the final nail in my DC Comics coffin. The movies have been horrible with the lone exception of Wonder Woman. Even Aquaman was terrible, IMHO though I know many disagree. All of DC has been terribly managed for years.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:46 AM   #54
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

The comics being an outdated or maybe less popular medium, I get. What kills me, really kills me is DC Direct being shuttered though. Yeah, Warner has their collectibles division, but they aren't DC Direct.

Did DC Direct have issues, some, sometimes their QC wasn't amazing and yeah there was a few times they had some questionable engineering but over all, especially for the price, they did a good job. They also sold an entire line of small scale Batman statues for about 15 years, each with a run between 3k and 5k and they sold out of almost every one every time. I mean out of 100 pieces what was the bad one? Tony Millionaire?

I don't think this is a smart move, and I think in the end they're going to regret it.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #55
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

hopefully the absorbed some of the designers and engineers instead of just letting them all go.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #56
built2shred
Phoenix

Both Marvel and DC have made a mess out of comic books, with their constant rebooting and starting back at #1, all the crossovers for various story lines which means your juggling several comic book lines in order to read one story arc...

They need to kill off the weekly/monthly comic book and just do graphic novels with the whole story in one book.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #57
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
They need to kill off the weekly/monthly comic book and just do graphic novels with the whole story in one book.
That’s fine with me. Most of the Black Label Batman books I can actually read through. The Tom King comics were garbage.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #58
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Yeah, their comic book stories largely have been terrible. New 52 was the beginning of the end, with the exception of Snyder’s Batman. Even bringing back the original Superman, an admission of what a mistake New 52 was, and Rebirth which was the final admission of this same mistake, couldn’t help them. Bendis’ Superman felt like the final nail in my DC Comics coffin. The movies have been horrible with the lone exception of Wonder Woman. Even Aquaman was terrible, IMHO though I know many disagree. All of DC has been terribly managed for years.
I'm just getting back into to comics but this idea that the N52 was the end of the world seems really off. Could a person personally hate the N52? Sure but every time that someone asks where to start so many times a N52 run is recommended(Aquaman, Wonder Women, Batman). The movies haven't been Horrible (Joker,Wonder Women, Aquaman, Man of Steel). Also although I hate them their WB shoes are very popular. Heck the ground swell of support for the Snyder Cut for justice league proves people love this universe. This has everything to do with their new cooperate overlords who are a 1 trick pony of laying people off. I think creators will still be able to create but I wouldn't be shocked if many titles go digital and only sold as trades and they move from statues to action figures.
Commander0Zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #59
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
I'm just getting back into to comics but this idea that the N52 was the end of the world seems really off. Could a person personally hate the N52? Sure but every time that someone asks where to start so many times a N52 run is recommended(Aquaman, Wonder Women, Batman). The movies haven't been Horrible (Joker,Wonder Women, Aquaman, Man of Steel). Also although I hate them their WB shoes are very popular. Heck the ground swell of support for the Snyder Cut for justice league proves people love this universe. This has everything to do with their new cooperate overlords who are a 1 trick pony of laying people off. I think creators will still be able to create but I wouldn't be shocked if many titles go digital and only sold as trades and they move from statues to action figures.
There are very few New 52 titles that were any good at all. You list three, and I read all three. I, Vampire also was good. But as an entire line and as a philosophy and approach to their comics, it completely struck out. The proof is the resurrection of the pre-New 52 Superman and the Rebirth approach, neither of which were properly managed.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #60
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
There are very few New 52 titles that were any good at all. You list three, and I read all three. I, Vampire also was good. But as an entire line and as a philosophy and approach to their comics, it completely struck out. The proof is the resurrection of the pre-New 52 Superman and the Rebirth approach, neither of which were properly managed.
Exactly, add to this that Dan Didio openly complained about fans liking reprints of older DC comics over the new stuff. Talk about arrogance and a lack of self awareness.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote