Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

Use to collect Star Wars statues, not anymore. Loved SSC PF, dioramas, GG, maquettes, statues, haven't bought GG Star Wars in almost 10 years, Star Wars PF was one here and there this decade. If SSC did bail on Star Wars I get why, why pay so much to renew it when the statues aren't as popular as they were. Now I just collect IA and PCS TF, PCS Joes, TMNT. Now I think IA wont make anymore TF, PCS may have bailed from Joes, PCS might not make many more TMNT. Then I would just collect PCS TF.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #22
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
All of these questions are looking at buying a statue of a character, you love, to be not only displayed but as a "collectible" or even more over an "investment."

Should Sideshow have to change their business practices b/c a select amount of customers choose to view their pieces as "investments."
collectible
n. One of a group or class of objects, such as period glass or historical memorabilia, sought by collectors.

If someone is trying to resell a $400 Wonder Woman statue and they can only get $200 for it, it's clearly not being sought by collectors and really fails to be a "collectible."

Most people don't have infinite space to collect statues of this size and eventually will start to phase out some of them to make room for newer/different pieces. Of course they're hoping that the value is retained.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #23
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
All of these questions are looking at buying a statue of a character, you love, to be not only displayed but as a "collectible" or even more over an "investment."

Should Sideshow have to change their business practices b/c a select amount of customers choose to view their pieces as "investments."

Comic books are seen as investments to some.. When Marvel saw the new Hulk comic was being "Speced" and heavily sought after they increased the print of future issues as much as 3 fold. Simple business, supply and demand. No company is looking to produce a super rare collectible. They want to sell as many as people are willing to buy.

Marvel could care less that in the aftermarket a number 2 sells for 6 times as much as a number 14. Marvel made their money already.

I kind of disagree here. Part of the appeal and reason for the crazy prices is the value in the aftermarket. SS could make much more money selling unlimited amounts of their 1/4 Juggernaut priced half(or whatever) of what it is but they know it would just kill any value these have thus killing demand.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #24
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post

Again, I'm familiar with how it works. I had a regular comic shop back when I used to collect. I was trying to describe the process from the perspective of someone who isn't familiar and doesn't care to be. Most people expect to be able to purchase something that interests them without the hassle. Your average MCU viewer isn't going to travel to their local comic shop and set up a list of ongoing or upcoming series that they'd like to have delivered every month for $5 a pop.

The problem with a pull list is that I would have to know what I want to read ahead of time. I've tried that before and got burnt out on buying series that ended up being uninteresting.
Well, not sure which shop you frequent, but my local shop is pretty helpful. A new collector came in a few weeks ago, he was interested in a past series and the owner dug up a stack for him to catch him up, offered to order the most recent issues for him as second/3rd printings and reorders. Then recommended a few TPBs and put him on a pull list. He seemed pretty happy.

But if you go into a shop as a new or returning collector and do not get any help, then maybe they need more manpower or more attentive staff. Unless you go on NCBD, then they may not have time to help.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
jac1066
Blue Falcon

I like the "Made to order" business model would like to see more statue company's move to that concept. I think it's good for both the collector and the producer. Give a 30 day window for anyone to pre-order and then that's it. Everyone that want's one gets one. No stock on hand taking up space in a warehouse. Spending money to have a warehouse for stock on hand can be expensive!
jac1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #26
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:

Comic books are seen as investments to some.. When Marvel saw the new Hulk comic was being "Speced" and heavily sought after they increased the print of future issues as much as 3 fold. Simple business, supply and demand. No company is looking to produce a super rare collectible. They want to sell as many as people are willing to buy.

Marvel could care less that in the aftermarket a number 2 sells for 6 times as much as a number 14. Marvel made their money already.
Actually, Sideshow built their business on rare and exclusive collectibles. They made a lot of money doing that. That is the only way to justify paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a copy of another statue.

If they want to move to mass production, the price point should be dropped significantly.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #27
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Well, not sure which shop you frequent, but my local shop is pretty helpful. A new collector came in a few weeks ago, he was interested in a past series and the owner dug up a stack for him to catch him up, offered to order the most recent issues for him as second/3rd printings and reorders. Then recommended a few TPBs and put him on a pull list. He seemed pretty happy.

But if you go into a shop as a new or returning collector and do not get any help, then maybe they need more manpower or more attentive staff. Unless you go on NCBD, then they may not have time to help.
We've strayed far from my original point that it's the way comics are presented that makes it difficult to attract a new, younger audience. They need to become more streamlined to attract new interest.

I wasn't trying to make a statement about the comic shops and the helpfulness of their staff.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #28
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Actually, Sideshow built their business on rare and exclusive collectibles. They made a lot of money doing that. That is the only way to justify paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a copy of another statue.

If they want to move to mass production, the price point should be dropped significantly.
It is mass production in my mind. SSC has shown if the demand is there they will produce 5000 pieces plus of a 500 dollar plus statue.

"Collectible" or "investment" is a possibility, not even close to a guarantee.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #29
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:
It is mass production in my mind. SSC has shown if the demand is there they will produce 5000 pieces plus of a 500 dollar plus statue.

"Collectible" or "investment" is a possibility, not even close to a guarantee.
None of this addressed the fact that sideshow grew it’s reputation by producing high quality limited edition exclusive pieces.

Supply and demand will always equate, that is why pieces are increasingly available for cheaper in the aftermarket. I already see may pieces below retail prices.

In the long run, collectors will no longer pay premium prices firsthand.

Not much in life is a guarantee. But if you have an edition size of 50 for a popular quality statue, it will probably hold it’s value. Supply and demand.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #30
MechWestern
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank God for customs...

SS 1/4 Star Wars offerings are laughable at this point...
MechWestern is offline   Reply With Quote