Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Plastic Materials used in your collectibles and statues

Mods..just want to share this post. It's to inform the collectors on the type of plastic materials used in our collectibles such as figures to statues. As I wrote earlier, the process of PVC is more expensive (that was what SSC posted) however, polystone actually cost more to manufacture then PVC and it's by a wide margin.

Here is an article written about different plastic used from figures, toys to statue...

The Materials and the Figures

PVC is used to manufacture figures primarily because it's very cheap when compared to other plastics and it's somewhat resistant. Because PVC is a thermoplastic, it's easy to work with it and it's recyclable.
The PVC used to manufacture scale figures has low quantities of plasticisers so it won't be too rubbery and soft. Good quality PVC is smooth to the touch and has a skin-like appearance which cannot be achieved by using other plastics such as ABS.
PVC is also very fragile and has low resistance against high temperatures and pressure. Those two factors can cause PVC to bend or deform in some other way.
A good example of PVC use (despite the figures) is Nendoroid heads, gashapons, some prize and trading figures, the upper body of figures, etc.

ABS is used primarily for the bases and legs of figures. ABS is a very sturdy plastic and it won't bend, (ABS is the kind of plastic that will break before bending). Because of its hight resistance, ABS is used when manufacturing weight bearing parts.
No good company will make a figure entirely of PVC because as mentioned before, PVC can't handle the it's won't weight without deforming. Some figures manufactured prior to 2007 were made entirely of PVC, which caused them to bend and lean. Like this:

Even though ABS is resistant and it won't bend, the very thing that makes it so great can also make it even more fragile than PVC. Depending on how high the fall is, ABS may break, like this:

Which wouldn't happen to PVC because PVC (the type used to make figures) won't actually break, just bend. But don't worry, good quality ABS won't get damaged very easily and will hardly break because of a fall.
ABS can also very shiny and it has a more plastic appearance than PVC and Vinyl. It is used to make Figma faces and hair, Figmas and Nendoroid joints, scale figure's bases, figure's lower body, LEGO and many other things.

Soft Vinyl is used to manufacture Dollfies and many other figures. Vinyl can be just like PVC (soft and bendable) or like ABS (sturdy but breakable), it varies greatly depending on what it's being used for. Vinyl can also be smooth and have the same skin-like appearance PVC does, but Vinyl is more expensive than PVC and it's a little harder to handle if used to manufacture scale figures, making the manufacture process more complicated and therefore more expensive.

Cold Cast, Polystone and Resin are all very sturdy and fragile. Neither one of them can survive a fall and they break quite easily. They're used to make scale figures, garage kits, larger statues, vases and many other things. They are very resistant against temperature, humidity and they're considerably easier to clean.
Cold Cast and Polystone are similar to porcelain in appearance and resin may have the same appearance as PVC but all the three of them are much, much heavier and expensive.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
VS1976

On another note, I've always supported SSC and I hope they strive to bring the best. This is in no way to bash or think they are being deceitful to collectors.

My concern with PVC on statues has always been the bending issue. I've had 2 experiences with it and that is why I try to stay away from them on 1:4 statues. The only PVC statues I buy are the biahoujo or anime figures which scales are much smaller. I wish SSC the best as I will continue to do business with. Customer relationship & service is important and I truly think they are one of the best companies out there even with some issues in the past

I think most collectors here who buys statues expect it to either be cold cast porcelain, resin or polystone. Majority of the collectors would not think that SSC statues are pvc.

If by any reason they are PVC used, just post it on your website or notify your consumer when it gets changed (man of steel). Their would be less grieve amongs the consumer and manufacture
Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
Vracula
Jedi Order

I think it would be great if SS just communicated the fact when they solicit the piece, let collectors make the decision and sooner or later collectors are just going to warm up to it.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
VS1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I think it would be great if SS just communicated the fact when they solicit the piece, let collectors make the decision and sooner or later collectors are just going to warm up to it.
I also believe that SSC should had offer some kind of discount for people who purchased the man of steel statue once they changed it to PVC. An email notice for those who ordered it, imho, should had been done especially when PVC is cheaper then polystone to make.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
SONICobra
Batman

ive already given my .02 in the last thread why I prefer polystone but again I wouldn't be completely opposed to pvc head sculpts as long as they matched other skin tone / textures on the rest of the statue. that 1/3 scale bruce lee is supposedly pvc and looks great
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
kimsoyens
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

So i assume the MoS PF will bend over time. its a possibility. i have two 1/6 PVC figures that have bending issues. Judging from the form of MoS figure, i'm sure it will bend forward.. we just don't know when.
kimsoyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
darren1228
Zot

Lol...hilarious

darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:29 AM   #8
NovisNoah
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsoyens View Post
So i assume the MoS PF will bend over time. its a possibility. i have two 1/6 PVC figures that have bending issues. Judging from the form of MoS figure, i'm sure it will bend forward.. we just don't know when.
PVC bends due to heat and stress.

Judging by his pose in this picture.

he most likely will bend backwards.

I don't know why SS made him all PVC when most Japanese figure started using ABS for the figures stress points to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Another issue with PVC is leaking.
Overtime, some oily substance will appear and I believe heat can accelerate it.

I would't mind PVC if I live in a country with colder climate but I live in a tropical country were summer temperature can reach upto 35C.

I have to rebox some of my PVC collection during summer due to heat and humidity. It's the reason why I move from collecting 1/8 PVC to 1/4 polystone resin.
NovisNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I want all my future statues to be chiseled from a marble block!
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I want all my future statues to be chiseled from a marble block!
Well done! Breaking this annoying, irritating and pointless argument we've had a thousand times on this forum.

All collectors are hypocrites. As soon as SSC starts producing PVC/ABS (synthetic material whatever) statues in 1/4 scale with the detail of current statues or HotToys's and prices them at PF prices from yesteryear, all will buy.

It's all a bit fan-boyish how some of you cry about how everything has to be made out of polystone. Look at the European and Asian market, which put out tons of high quality synthetic statues in large scale. Look at Goodsmile company, Freeing and other big manufacturers of statues. I have some of their early PVC statues and there hasn't been a single piece with issues.

My polystone statues however have shown paint flaking, cracking and breaks. I'm just as much a fan of polystone as I am of synthetic, so I don't get the whole crybaby attitude towards using synthetic materials in statues. If it would help lower the cost of these ridiculously priced PF's nowadays, please do so SSC.

Sorry to rant... just my 2 cents.
Hunterkingxxl is offline   Reply With Quote