Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-13-2022, 11:59 AM   #281
SDguy

Yeah you totally lost face with that Bowen crap.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:03 PM   #282
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Whoa - insulting those who appreciate Bowen is insulting. That man and his love of Marvel allowed collectors to build full teams. He allowed collectors to get characters in many iterations of their outfits. He did B-D list characters. No other company is going to dare take that plunge now. I don't think anybody goes on and on about how Bowen is going to come back. He's not. But he made quite a big impact on statue collecting and showed what could be done when a creator is passionate about a license and the craft.

So as you say, my Bowen enjoyment is not an "opinion" it is a conviction. To which we are all allowed to have.

No Demona, all I'm saying is Bowen has his own place/space, so why not use it?

Bottom line is this in regards to Bowen. Though I understand and appreciate the sentimental value collectors may have for their Bowen pieces, the constant Bowen comments/comparisons don't belong in higher end collectible threads, especially when the lines/company itself is well, dead.

And lets get serious here. Objectively speaking, I cannot think of one Bowen offering, if blown to 1/4 scale, that would have a huge impact on the collecting community as a whole, not one, especially at these prices. So what's the point?
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:21 PM   #283
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Divo, did you intentionally make that previous post rhyme? If so, I got a chuckle and appreciate the effort, lol!

Odd for Bowen to get dragged into this. TH has taken up the Bowen mantle IMO, and I can't see paying $300+ for 1/6, and you see what those cost when they blow them up. But they will never go as deep into a line as Bowen, in fact, I don't think that model is even possible anymore, that ship has passed.

This one has taken some weird criticism. I think it will get a warm reception upon release.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #284
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
And lets get serious here. Objectively speaking, I cannot think of one Bowen offering, if blown to 1/4 scale, that would have a huge impact on the collecting community as a whole, not one, especially at these prices. So what's the point?
You don't think collectors would want to collect a classic Avengers roster? Or the X-Men Blue or Gold teams? Spider-Man and his rogues? It's not sentimentality. It's a desire for diversity. There are plenty of collectors that go..."well I like it, but I don't need another [insert repeated character here]"

I can tell you that I would buy his Marvel Girl, Museum Storm, Punk Storm Variant, Hela, Enchantress, Warbird, Black Queen, and Goblin Queen (without underboob edit) blown up to 1:4. But that's just me.

Sorry for the thread derail everybody. This pretty Zatanna statue doesn't deserve it Hope its at SDCC so NearMint can get us some images!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #285
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Quote:
So, still a limp banana for this Zatanna?

But seriously, you can reject anything you want, but your "little" comment was posted with bells, banners, bombastic, as if you were running for office. Or worse, coming off as a bible thumper preaching gospel, when most of this flock has already walked, and are probably somewhere jerking-off! What more can I say, where you see MJ, I see BJ in wonderful/magical ways.

And if you find my comments are a little too crude, well what the hell did you expect(?), as I'm just another polystone fool, collecting dude.
You type and all I hear is:

In all honesty, I can't be bothered deciphering your incessant babbling.
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #286
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I think complaining about Bowen statues is usually a tell-tale sign of a newer collector. We older collectors remember that Bowen sparked a "Golden Age" of statue collecting. Bowen gave us an unbelievable amount of statues of characters that spanned the spectrum of popularity--not just the same ten characters over and over.

We were lucky to have a line like Bowen. Tweeterhead looked like they'd be the next company to copy that business model, but even they have had to fall back into making repeats of popular characters. I guess the closest comparison now is the Iron Studios 1:10 line, but they are pretty small for most collectors--and increasing prices are making them less of a bargain than when they started.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #287
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Opinions? What you don't understand Peedi is my "opinions" are more like convictions, I only comment on works I buy, or ones where I wish I could buy. As for insulting(?), here is what I find insulting.

- The constantly fretful bunch, who always seem to have the inside hunch, of a non-existent leaning crunch to come. But it never does. That's insulting.

- The Bowen brats, who still think that's where it's at, & constantly try to remind & convince us at the drop of a hat. Every chance they get. It's dead. Get it through your heads. That's insulting.

- The Anatomy butchers, who sadly/comically/painfully don't seem to know arse from elbow, but spout-off the loudest & the longest, trashing beautiful anatomy/movement, even after pointing out the obvious by sculptors, body builders, artists, pics as proof, & of course all to no avail, but what the hell? That's insulting.

- The Older Collecting Clowns, who constantly bless us with their self righteous, disapproving collecting frowns, every time they are confronted with Sideshow's new and improved, in hopes of convincing themselves that their older sh!t is still the it? But tumbling market value for a lot of the older sh!t does not support this old school fanboy bulls!t. That's insulting.

- The Truly Fcking Strange, who actually trash Sideshow at every turn, swear to Jesus to never, ever buy Sideshow crap, & yet haunt SS threads, on a daily basis! Not only insulting, but unnerving.

- Then, we have the truly special crew, but thankfully just a dastardly few. These are the freaks who relentlessly trash a Sideshow work, from the very start of course. Obsessively continue the attack, & don't let up until it's release, say 6 months to a year? Then, miraculously, these haters finally make some weird self-peace, & quietly/at times hypocritically, go out and snatch the piece! That's insulting,.........to all.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #288
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
I think complaining about Bowen statues is usually a tell-tale sign of a newer collector. We older collectors remember that Bowen sparked a "Golden Age" of statue collecting. Bowen gave us an unbelievable amount of statues of characters that spanned the spectrum of popularity--not just the same ten characters over and over.

We were lucky to have a line like Bowen. Tweeterhead looked like they'd be the next company to copy that business model, but even they have had to fall back into making repeats of popular characters. I guess the closest comparison now is the Iron Studios 1:10 line, but they are pretty small for most collectors--and increasing prices are making them less of a bargain than when they started.
I don't think it's possible to ever see this again. When Bowen was in their heyday there were so few competing companies and production was so much cheaper (also as a result from fewer companies). Licensing was no doubt less costly. As a result you could make and sell these things for a fraction of what it costs to stay profitable today. So you could go deep into a lineup. Now they can throw us a bone once in awhile, but the numbers are not there to do what Bowen did anymore. Heck for that matter SS did a bunch of characters that they would be hard pressed to touch today.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:51 PM   #289
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
I don't think it's possible to ever see this again. When Bowen was in their heyday there were so few competing companies and production was so much cheaper (also as a result from fewer companies). Licensing was no doubt less costly. As a result you could make and sell these things for a fraction of what it costs to stay profitable today. So you could go deep into a lineup. Now they can throw us a bone once in awhile, but the numbers are not there to do what Bowen did anymore. Heck for that matter SS did a bunch of characters that they would be hard pressed to touch today.
That's why I can't be too mad at SS or other companies for not diving deep enough. It's a business...if they're not sure the money is there then why take the chance? That said...I find it hard to believe some of the characters they've passed over year after year wouldn't bring in the money.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #290
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

''Bowen Brats''

I don't think Bowen Fans are the ones who are Brats here. I don't have a single Bowen Piece unfortunatly... But i was on the forum as broke student on those glorious Bowen days. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of every new Bowen Marvel Piece. First the bust of Marvel Character had come, if the bust sold well, a FS Statue of the Marvel character would follow. (: I wish i had the money to get all those amazing Bowen Pieces back then. Now, the prices for Bowen pieces are crazy.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote