Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
How much abuse, trolling, and frustration can you take before you lash out in retaliation? Some folks can keep it together and ignore it... other people explode at their breaking point, giving back what they gave.
by all means show me the abuse, please do. what I have seen is dozens of tweets just like this from these established folks that still get jobs and still get shielded by that same excuse "they're just responding to all this abuse!" while showing very little in way of evidence.

and not to play the game but reverse "cis" for gay and you tell me if that person would have a damn job today regardless of how much "abuse and trolling" they might've received before hand.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I don't want my favorite character Batman to be Black, Asian etc...
You don't like Batman of Shanghai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6KPuUGQz4

How about Ucan Kiz?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184983/

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #13
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
by all means show me the abuse, please do. what I have seen is dozens of tweets just like this from these established folks that still get jobs and still get shielded by that same excuse "they're just responding to all this abuse!" while showing very little in way of evidence.

and not to play the game but reverse "cis" for gay and you tell me if that person would have a damn job today regardless of how much "abuse and trolling" they might've received before hand.
Flipping from print to live action, how about the attacks that drove Millie Bobby Brown, Kelly Tran, Ruby Rose, and others off social media? Still working established folks getting coordinated attacks for the same reasons without any of the responses in kind that can be used against them out of context?

The slow part of my workday is winding down and I won't be able to go too much further down this rabbit hole with you.

Making comics (and entertainment in general) is tough. Yes, it's a great job, but even a great job is still a job. Sometimes changes made to projects aren't even from the writer, artist, actor, etc... they're decisions from the company. Whatever the case, it's no reason to attack the flesh and blood human beings behind these projects created to bring entertainment to the public. Celebrate projects you're enjoying and support the creators making them.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
Augen
The Hulk

I touched on it, but I think the internet and social media create a situation where discourse escalates to catastrophe.

The loudest voices get heard and each side points to offenses or grievances against the other seeking moral high ground. This removes the possibility for nuance debate.

I am not that active, but in rare instances on social media I just praise an artist or writer to show my support (example: Jen Frison was very nice). I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to spend attacking people. It stinks when those in power don't like your favorite character so you gets costume and characteristic changes, replaced, and exiled for years. I'm not going to message DC yelling at them about it, just be happy when I finally get a Power Girl book again and support it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #15
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
(example: Jen Frison was very nice)

Old 08-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #16
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
Flipping from print to live action, how about the attacks that drove Millie Bobby Brown, Kelly Tran, Ruby Rose, and others off social media?
well your sources are a bit off, Millie wasn't really attacked she was used in a stupid meme (internet culture isn't funny FYI) and Ruby was driven off of twitter BY THE LEFT, because she wasn't gay enough to play a gay character. the jury is still out on Kelly though, there's a pretty good argument that both sides made her pack her bags and go, but from the "comicsgate" side of things it seemed most people just really hate the new star wars more so then hate her because she's a "minority" (despite you know being part of the largest demographic of people on the planet and the highest earners in this oh so racist country of ours)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #17
fdileague
Fantastic Four

To me, it's dollars and cents, the question is, are those that scream diversity and equality buying books??? No, they are just really loud people. Sales go down because the fans that are already there aren't buying it and neither are the ones that claim they want it. So the publishers pander to the ones that want it, and they don't sell books. Not a good business model, as far as I know, Likes don't sell books. It's empty, it's a false economy.

I'm not against diversity in Comics, but I do not like revisionist history. Keep the old and create the new. People will speak with their wallets. Bottom line.
fdileague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 AM   #18
Gothamite
Phoenix

Marvel's real problem is that their books currently suck. This goes for both legacy and new characters.

DC and other companies are doing fine with new characters, regardless of their demographics compositions.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:32 AM   #19
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Marvel's real problem is that their books currently suck.
it's pretty much the same problem though. the books suck because they hire untalented people in the name of diversity to write for characters that totally coincidentally tend to look like them.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:36 AM   #20
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
it's pretty much the same problem though. the books suck because they hire untalented people in the name of diversity to write for characters that totally coincidentally tend to look like them.
There's no shortage of white writers who suck, too.