Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 06-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Talking One American's view on Football

I found this in last week's Observer, loved it and just had to share it
Quote:
Pioneer press, Minnesota

If the goverment really is serious about identifying illegal immegrants, it has a unique opportunity to record their whereabouts. All the Department of homeland security has to do is monitor the city-by-city television ratings of this month's world Cup. agents should be dispatched to any area where the ratings reflect an unnaturally high level of interest. that likely signals a pocket of illegals. no one who is actually from here cares about the most over-hyped, mind-numbingly boring event in the whole world.

Thirty years after soccer was supposed to be the next big thing here, ESPN and ABC will again attempt to 'educate' as well as entertain american viewers during the World Cup. The arrogance is astounding. The networks still think Americans aren't interested in soccer because we don't understand it. And it's awful.

It's time to quit apologising and tell the truth. when it comes to soccer, we're right, and the rest of the world is wrong. If they want to dance in the streets of cameroon or belgium over this stuff, fine. But the sport does not suit American taste, and we should stop feeling guilty about it.

Americans are industrious people. we use our hands. We catch footballs. we throw baseballs. We hit golf balls by fripping a piece of equipment. It is unnatural for us to put our hands behind our backs and try to 'pass' a soccer ball to a team-mate by bouncing it off our heads. we aren't circus seals, and no one's going to toss us a fish if we do it right.

Yes, america may be the only country that doesn't go goofy for soccer. we're also the only remaining superpower. Don't you see a connection there?

I'd rather have a colonoscopy than watch a minute of it. Soccer's the rest of the world's problem. let's not even fake it any more.
this guyhas a reall problem! He says "The arrogance is astounding" then goes on to say "we're right, and the rest of the world is wrong...Yes, america may be the only country that doesn't go goofy for soccer. we're also the only remaining superpower. Don't you see a connection there?"

"we catch Footballs" they are called footballs for a REASON. Why don't you start calling them handovals

as for the World cup being the "most over-hyped, mind-numbingly boring event in the whole world." maybe you should take a look at the superbowl. a ninety minute game that turns into a three hour circus.

i think the real reason this guy doesn't like footie, is that there is no real action. No steriod pumped up players, no hockey players beating each other to death, just 90 minutes of action.

What a saddo
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Wait don't China love football, and aren't they breathing down America's necks on the 'Super-power' front?

This is a typical self-loving media type, who thinks his voice is the only one that matters.

Sadly this isn't he only person in the world that thinks like this.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Darth Bob
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Best thing about soccer is that there are no timeouts.

As a European sports fan I hate those 500 timeouts coaches can call per game in the NBA for example.

2 minutes left to play, but it will actually take 45 minutes to finish the damn ball game if coaches make use of all timeouts available.

I really love basketball but that really sucks. Having to bear those commercials for several minutes is what I call "no real action".
Darth Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Anyone know how football does in India? They will be right behind China in the world power stakes in the next 100 years.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
lord odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff
Anyone know how football does in India? They will be right behind China in the world power stakes in the next 100 years.
I don`t think the world will be around in 100 years some nutjob will blow us up.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin
I don`t think the world will be around in 100 years some nutjob will blow us up.
or an asteroid
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin
That's a warning that he's gonna do it.

Run you fools, run!
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

****ing idiot.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
****ing idiot.
I must admit, I cant stand American sports (Baseball, American Football, Basketball) but to be fair, I cant stand Cricket or Golf either. It depends where your brought up I suppose. I get the impression that the US mentality in relation to sport is different to ours in the sense that its win or nothing, theres no gallant losers or anything like that.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I like Baseball and will watch a Basketball and Football game but for me the continuous stops ruin the game. I also enjoy one day cricket and will watch golf on the final day of a major.

But to slag off everyone in the world because they enjoy football is crazy. How is that guy able right stuff like that.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote