Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 06-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Cant wait for the Tour De France, now theres a sport! The stop-start nature of Amercian sports is what I dont like either, makes you just want to watch the highlights. They all seem very stat-obsessed. With regard to football, its so embedded in the culture of several countries, it cant just be transplanted to the US, if they dont like it now (the majority) then they never will.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

The problem with the Tour De France is the drugs problem. Its rife. I used to love it when the Irish were good ie Roach and Kelly but have lost interest will all the drugs scandels. Didn't a famous Italian rider die at a very young age?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff
I must admit, I cant stand American sports (Baseball, American Football, Basketball) but to be fair, I cant stand Cricket or Golf either. It depends where your brought up I suppose. I get the impression that the US mentality in relation to sport is different to ours in the sense that its win or nothing, theres no gallant losers or anything like that.

Well said, JM. Soccer isn't popular in America, like America football isn't popular in the World. Soccer is THE biggest sport in the World, but unfortunetly, isn't something that have "tradition" here in the USA. They just don't get many aspects of the game yet. And like you said, the fear of a game ending in a draw, principally at 0-0, is something that don't apeal to them. They don't have what we have, ya know, the apreciation for all aspects of this game, EVERY little bit. In Brasil, a 2 year old kid get's a soccer ball for his birthday. In the USA, he get's a american football or basket ball as a gift. When I think about soccer here, I always think about the women team. The girls here are the ones that have more interest.
BUT, I think "men" soccer interest have been growing in America , and I DO hope that it keeps growing. I remember when I moved to here cause my job almost 15 years ago, the BIGGEST thing I missed (besides my friends/family, of course) was the soccer. Today, with satelite TV, I watch soccer in every part of the World, but was a hard time in the begining with no soccer to watch, beeing this HUUUUGE soccer fan that I am.
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf
That's a warning that he's gonna do it.

Run you fools, run!
You can run but you can`t hide.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #15
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I can't stand this type of person and hear this crap from time to time ... let me just say that this clown's opinion is not shared by all Americans. I grew up playing soccer as soon as I could get into a league (about 5). Soccer was a huge part of my life growing up but only from a playing perspective as the media never really showed any games. I remember the 86 cup with the hand of God goal and Maradona's amazing run ... that got me hooked on WorldCup. There are a lot of hard core soccer fans in the US, just not to the degree of other countries ... but we are out there!I think it comes down to the fact that a lot of people don't like soccer because it was originated in our country. Heck, all the X-games are more popular and half of that stuff is absolute crap.
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #16
Justin
Jedi Order

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff
Anyone know how football does in India? They will be right behind China in the world power stakes in the next 100 years.
India are cricket CRAZY, they go mad for it over there!!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #17
bat_collector
Galactus

who cares what this moron thinks. his ignorance and arrogance is astounding.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #18
Shangrilien
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
The problem with the Tour De France is the drugs problem. Its rife. I used to love it when the Irish were good ie Roach and Kelly but have lost interest will all the drugs scandels. Didn't a famous Italian rider die at a very young age?
Not only. Tours of Spain and Italy are also concerned. People are arrested and prosecuted every single year. The drugs problem is a plague infecting professional cycling in general. Even young or semi-pros cyclers are using them.

20 years ago, a famous french comedian was already saying that if they weren't taking drugs, they would have to leave six months earlier to arrive in Paris by July. People and sponsors want to see amazing performances all the time.

The saddest part is that it's getting hard to make the difference between a real sport performance and a cheated one.
Shangrilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:39 AM   #19
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Yeah the Tour of Italy and Spain are in the same bracket. Its sad really as its a great sport.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote