Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
from the latin excelsus - ever upward
Thank you Tetragrammaton
One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Here's what I posted on Facebook along with a photo of me with Stan:

Stan Lee & Me.

Okay, this one's a little tough, but I'll try my best. Much, much has been written about Stan Lee during his life and in the last two days since his passing. Thanks to my good friend, Drew Cheskin, though I'd seen Stan several times at conventions over the years, I was able to meet him at a small, isolated gathering in a side room at SDCC and speak with him for several minutes. He was kind, generous, funny and swiftly made a connection with me. This picture is from that meeting.

To say that Stan was a monumental part of my life is a gross understatement, though we met and spoke only once.

While I love Jack Kirby's misanthropic Thing from The Fantastic Four, Steve Ditko's insecure and neurotic Spider-Man, and Jack Kirby/John Buscema's tortured and isolated Silver Surfer, it was Stan who gave all his Marvel co-creations their voice, their personality, and presented their psyches to us. Thus, he gave Marvel Comics' brand its voice and persona. Through his characters, he spoke to me when I was a young insecure kid who, decades ago, felt alone at times in this world (sorry, for those who know me, if this is over sharing) . Because of Stan I felt like I belonged to and was part of something larger than myself, through his Bullpen Bulletins, Stan's Soapbox, and his other fan community efforts like The Merry Marvel Marching Society while, through the voice and thoughts of his characters, I also felt a connection as if they were living beings. Even when I felt alone, I also felt like part of a collective cool group of Merry Marvel Marchers who Faced Front, were True Believers, and by Mak[ing] Mine Marvel! Excelsior and 'Nuff Said! Well, almost...

His dialogue on Thor drove me to the dictionary to figure out what the hell I was actually reading. I fully credit Stan for my love of literature through which I became an English Lit major in college. And, when I was studying Shakespeare in college I also had my Frank Miller Daredevil issues on my desk. Other college kids laughed at me for reading comic books until I handed them my copies of DD, after which they'd beg me for the next issue. It was my quiet and constructive way of quoting The Thing's battle cry, "It's Clobberin' Time!" Take that and face front, non-believers!

Stan's passing feels like a kick in the gut. It's just sad. Stan is not only a fabric of my childhood, he's part of who I am. I haven't written anything until now because I just don't feel like I can add anything to the tapestry of what's been written recently, but I'm hoping this is both cathartic for me and reaches other people like me so they know they're not alone in their grief over the loss of a man most of us didn't know at all, but also knew only too well.

Last edited by wktf; 11-14-2018 at 06:30 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

A wonderful illustrated tribute by Brian Michael Bendis:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/o...with-stan.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote