Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Big Chap Maquette repair and chroming

So I managed to snag a Big Chap Maquette yesterday, under retail. The dome has a crack and it was repainted with a dull metallic grey, I have yet to receive it so I can't be more specific. I already have a contact who can recast the dome in clear resin, as the origina, so I'm good to go. I was wondering if, while I'm at it, I could go extra mile and have the teeth chromed, from the pics and reviews I couldn't understand if the teeth are good enough or could use a chrome treatment.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Python
Omega Red

Are you in the UK by any chance? I think I know the one you have if so, it was removed from ebay before the auction end. The dome will be the hard part, the teeth might be just fine in person once this arrives. If not, you don't need to actually chrome them, you can get very good metallic paints to give a very convincing chrome effect. Alclad chrome would be my choice, make sure you use a gloss black base coat first and apply it in multiple, very light coats until you are happy with the results. Also, make sure the area you are painting is very clean before you start. Preparation is key, sand it if need be, the Alclad will show up any blemishes such as finger prints and brush strokes etc.

Best of luck, and nice catch.... I will get one of these soon!!!
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'm in Italy and the auction was in Germany (it ended normally, no early end), I think I know the one you are referring to, the one I got is pretty much similar but the dome was painted with a dark metallic grey (similar to the Warrior's dome, to give the idea).

I'm not sure what to do until I see it in hand, my purpose would be to display it without the dome, with the skull exposed, which was the original Alien design, love it. Then again if I'm not happy with it for any reason, recasting the dome as for the prototype is quite simple, my contact would take care of it without problem.

Thanks for the input on the teeth, I'm not good at painting and repairing but I do have a couple of useful contacts that can do it for me at a reasonable price.
Any other touch ups that people would make on this piece? Overall I've always heard the final product is quite good so it shouldn't need other changes.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote