Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 02-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #41
Royd
Producer
Producer

Also wanted to say thanks for the compliments regarding the guest list for the Supanova Expos!

It's more work (with some fun thrown in ) than some might think arranging for guests to attend the shows and I'm confident that we consistently field more international and local comics creator guests for fans to meet (and obtain sketches/OA from) than the competition!

Last edited by Royd; 02-01-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #42
MrSinister
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Also wanted to say thanks for the compliments regarding the guest list for the Supanova Expos!

It's more work (with some fun thrown in ) than some might think arranging for guests to attend the shows and I'm confident that we consistently field more international and local comics creator guests for fans to meet (and obtain sketches/OA from) than the competition!
Outstanding work, Royd!

I always look forward to meeting the comic creators you organise. They also widen my writer/artist horizons
MrSinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #43
Peasant
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
That's awesome. Sounds like you enjoy doing what your'e doing..which is fantastic!
However…IMHO, OCC has been my fav con so far…sure their 1st year was a mess…but man…2nd year was ridiculously amazing. Don't get me wrong, I still think Supanova is awesome too…but if I was to rate the cons (in Melbourne anyways), I'd say:
1. OCC
2. Supanova
3. Armageddon

But from the sounds of it Royd…looks like you're going to up your game and bring in more awesome artists that sketch for us lowly average comic art collectors, huh? LOL

So…any hints as to who you're bringing down? Surely your SF family (us) deserve to know before anyone else!!! Right?? RRRIIIGGGHHHHTTT????
Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:49 AM   #44
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
That's awesome. Sounds like you enjoy doing what your'e doing..which is fantastic!
However…IMHO, OCC has been my fav con so far…sure their 1st year was a mess…but man…2nd year was ridiculously amazing. Don't get me wrong, I still think Supanova is awesome too…but if I was to rate the cons (in Melbourne anyways), I'd say:
1. OCC
2. Supanova
3. Armageddon

But from the sounds of it Royd…looks like you're going to up your game and bring in more awesome artists that sketch for us lowly average comic art collectors, huh? LOL

So…any hints as to who you're bringing down? Surely your SF family (us) deserve to know before anyone else!!! Right?? RRRIIIGGGHHHHTTT????
What about Universe vs Universe? Where would that rate on your list?
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #45
Peasant
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink90210 View Post
What about Universe vs Universe? Where would that rate on your list?
LOL…note how I didn't mention that at all? I was hopeful…but….hhmmmmm
Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #46
Royd
Producer
Producer

Mate, everyone has their preferred show but I believe that Supanova have consistently had more recognised international creators in comparison to other shows as well as continuing to support local creators.

If I compare our April Tour (Gold Coast and Melbourne) line-up of international and local talent to what has been advertised elsewhere, I'm confident in my (equally) humble opinion that we have the stronger line-up

As for our June Tour (Sydney and Perth), I can tell you now that it's going to be HUGE (assuming all goes well with guest attendance because every show suffers from creators/stars dropping out for personal and work-related reasons). We've already announced a few of the June guests including one of the comics creator guests whom others have tried bringing to Oz - Adam Hughes!

I'm trying to persuade my Supanova Boss to make another announcement for June guests but we're naturally focussed on the April shows at present!

And, I haven't mentioned what's in store for 2015......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
1. OCC
2. Supanova
3. Armageddon

Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #47
Royd
Producer
Producer

And our Supanova April (Melbourne and Gold Coast) line-up last year (2013) wasn't too shabby either:

Melbourne (12-14 April 2013) – Joe Jusko, Terry Dodson, Dave Gibbons, Gail Simone, Rachel Dodson

Local Creators – Nicola Scott, Colin Wilson, Tom Taylor, G6, Cassandra James, Tristan Jones, Dean Rankine

Gold Coast (19-21 April 2013) – Joe Jusko, Terry Dodson, Dave Gibbons, Gail Simone, Rachel Dodson

Local Creators – Nicola Scott, Colin Wilson, Tom Taylor, G6, Billy Tan

Obviously, if the other shows offered a specific fave of yours then good for them but I'm just pointing out the strength (my opinion of course) of the guest line-up compared to other shows in Melbourne.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #48
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
And our Supanova April (Melbourne and Gold Coast) line-up last year (2013) wasn't too shabby either:

Melbourne (12-14 April 2013) – Joe Jusko, Terry Dodson, Dave Gibbons, Gail Simone, Rachel Dodson

Local Creators – Nicola Scott, Colin Wilson, Tom Taylor, G6, Cassandra James, Tristan Jones, Dean Rankine

Gold Coast (19-21 April 2013) – Joe Jusko, Terry Dodson, Dave Gibbons, Gail Simone, Rachel Dodson

Local Creators – Nicola Scott, Colin Wilson, Tom Taylor, G6, Billy Tan

Obviously, if the other shows offered a specific fave of yours then good for them but I'm just pointing out the strength (my opinion of course) of the guest line-up compared to other shows in Melbourne.
I can certainly understand peoples frustrations with many of the Supanova guests of recent times. While I have been EXTREMELY lucky in recent times with the guests on a personal level, I can certainly understand how non sketching, and minimal sketching guests (Dodson, Hughes, Yu, Brooks, Pacheco, Gibbons, Moore, etc etc) can frustrate fans versus OCC's Melbourne guests doing quite detailed free pieces such as Phil Jimenez and Francis Manapul, accompanied by guests that have knocked out in excess of 15-20 quality pieces per day such as Freddie Williams, Agnes Garbowska etc

It can be such a double edged sword. Personally I'm in NO position to complain, I have been utterly blessed with luck and good fortune especially at Supanova cons, but I do see both approaches to the "elite" artists versus A list guests who can keep more fans happy

It quite an interesting discussion point actually, the argument of whether or not to bring the "best of the best" with little chance of attaining an original piece of artwork, or a slightly "lesser" name with a better chance. I think in a city such as Melbourne, where there's pretty clearly the largest collecting contingent looking for those "top shelf" commission pieces, its a case of less is more Mike McKone is the PERFECT example of a great Melbourne guest. A guy who is arguably one rung below "elite" yet can crank out a large number of pieces at a con and keep many fans happy. I still remember the Pacheco sitaution where there was agressive yelling, finger pointing and storming off, when his con list closed in minutes

Last edited by Rocket; 02-02-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #49
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Last year was certainly a fantastic Supanova year for me personally, thanks largely to Royd. Whatever happened with Joe Jusko though, did anyone end up getting stuff from him? He was a little bit of a... funny guest.
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #50
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink90210 View Post
Last year was certainly a fantastic Supanova year for me personally, thanks largely to Royd. Whatever happened with Joe Jusko though, did anyone end up getting stuff from him? He was a little bit of a... funny guest.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote