Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #521
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I know Marvel’s touting her as their most powerful hero, but this is so off compared to the comic book version of the character I’m genuinely worried. Yes, she’s extremely powerful, but I’d never have put her above Thor or The Hulk in terms of strength and power. I just hope this movie does her justice and that her inevitable appearance in Endgame doesn’t minimize Thor and The Hulk. This is not misogyny. I’ve loved Carol’s character going back to the ‘60s and ‘70s.
Yes, from what I've read the Captain Marvel comics have been unsuccessful and have been constantly rebooted due to poor sales. I don't think having a powerful woman hero is a bad idea, I just don't want to it feel forced. Honestly I had no idea who Nick Fury called at the end of the previous Avengers movie but I'm a filthy casual when it comes to comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I don't understand what is the big deal in her words. Yeah, the market is dominated by white males as costumers, and all she wants to do is bring in more minority. May be she has the idea of having people of color as much as the white males as fans someday. I don't see anything offensive about this.
She chose poor wording and was taken out of context. I hope the movie's good but I'm sure they'll be a ton of fake positive and negative reviews on both sides unfortunately lol. I saw people getting scorned for giving Black Panther an 8/10 and not agreeing that it's the best Marvel movie ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Maybe she should of stepped aside and let Disney hire a minority women to play Captain Marvel? It Seems all the white women get the best parts, where's the Social Justice in that? Why can't a minority women play a lead in a comic book movie?

Just playing Devils Advocate
Interesting, good counter argument. I did remember people giving Scarjo crap for taking the role of an Asian woman though. I'll give them that at least if they really want diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseimaki View Post
Congrats!

Glad to see not everyone is lambasting the film for the actress’ comments, which IMHO, after doing my own extensive review were totally misconstrued.

How I interpret what Brie was saying is that we should have more females, also more than the token Black and Indian and or Asian guy among the interviewing panel. WTF is wrong with that notion? In real life nowadays, unless you live in the MidWest, or even if you do, about half of the work population are females and it’s pretty much unheard of to not have Asians and Blacks among your friends and co-workers. So what’s wrong with having the media people covering and reviewing her film to be more representative of the real population?

Am sure the only people that are butt hurt are the white males who unfortunately are the main but not sole target for these comic book movies, hence the online backlash. Except I don’t think she ever said get rid of the white folks. I guess people read too much into things and “hear what they want to hear”.

I hope I don’t get banned for saying this but I personally hate the Madea movies or any all black cast movie. Mind you, I am Asian and have nothing against other ethnicities. It’s just that anything that celebrates exclusivity leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If I were Brie and Marvel though, instead of shoving female empowerment into people’s faces, they should’ve subtly done it by promoting both female empowerment and ethnic diversity by hinting at a near future and Marvel Kamala Kahn movie.
Great post! I know more women that have done nasty things and used/use men and talk so hateful behind other women's back then are nice to their face than I have seen men do bad things and I'd say I'm more acquainted with men. I don't go around saying how toxic and nasty women are though because there's a small percentage that do those things. That's my problem with parts of the SJW movement, they want to group people together by race, sex, their political ideas or whatever and if you disagree with their view they attack you. There's bad white men, white women, black men, black women, Asian...let's just agree there's bad people out there. I've never heard of toxic masculinity until recently, now people are bringing up toxic femininity lol. It's all just kind of silly to me.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #522
Mister H
Gen 13

This is just my opinion, but I think more people would like this Captain Marvel better. She has more of a history in the Marvel Universe than this rendition of Carol Danvers. If they really are pushing diversity then Monica would be the ideal choice. I know they have Monica's mom or something in the movie but they should have gone this route, plus she was an Avenger when Marvel Comics was actually good.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #523
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Monica Rambeau hasn't been Captain Marvel in the comics in over 20 years. To push her as Captain Marvel in the movies would be questionable when Carol Danvers has had the role since 2012. These movies are supposed to reflect the current Marvel Universe, not how it was decades ago. That's why Scott Long is Ant-Man and not Hank Pym.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #524
ParisDean

Quote:
I know Marvel’s touting her as their most powerful hero, but this is so off compared to the comic book version of the character I’m genuinely worried. Yes, she’s extremely powerful, but I’d never have put her above Thor or The Hulk in terms of strength and power. I just hope this movie does her justice and that her inevitable appearance in Endgame doesn’t minimize Thor and The Hulk. This is not misogyny. I’ve loved Carol’s character going back to the ‘60s and ‘70s.
When Carol was Binary back in the 80s, she was Phoenix-level powerful. She lost those powers when she went back to being Ms. Marvel/Warbird, but had been slowly getting those Binary powers back leading up to the last two years or so when Carol was part of Alpha Flight and The Ultimates so that she is close now to how she will be portrayed in the movie.

And to make older fans even more upset I'm sure, last year's Life of Captain Marvel limited series altered her origin so that her powers were no longer derivative of Mar-Vell's, but more uniquely her own which I'm guessing is the direction the movie is taking with Mar-vell's absence.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #525
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Monica Rambeau hasn't been Captain Marvel in the comics in over 20 years. To push her as Captain Marvel in the movies would be questionable when Carol Danvers has had the role since 2012. These movies are supposed to reflect the current Marvel Universe, not how it was decades ago. That's why Scott Long is Ant-Man and not Hank Pym.
They can do, and have done, just about anything they want. The MCU for the most part is made up of characters that are a compilation of different versions of each character. Cap has the power levels as Ultimate Cap but with 616 Cap’s demeanor. The comic Thor seems to be more and more like the movie Thor, not the other way around. I dont think it’s “supposed” to be any one way or another.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #526
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
They can do, and have done, just about anything they want. The MCU for the most part is made up of characters that are a compilation of different versions of each character. Cap has the power levels as Ultimate Cap but with 616 Cap’s demeanor. The comic Thor seems to be more and more like the movie Thor, not the other way around. I dont think it’s “supposed” to be any one way or another.
I never said Marvel/Disney can't do anything they want. But movie Captain America is Steve Rogers like in the books. Thor in the movies is Odinson like in the books. Captain Marvel is Carol Danvers like in the books, not Monica Rambeau.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #527
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
I never said Marvel/Disney can't do anything they want. But movie Captain America is Steve Rogers like in the books. Thor in the movies is Odinson like in the books. Captain Marvel is Carol Danvers like in the books, not Monica Rambeau.
Riiiiight, but the movie Cap and Thor are not the comic Cap and Thor. Thor especially is way different. Have they made a public statement saying that all characters are the exact ones from the comics?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #528
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
while I agree with your point that using Monica would be silly your counter point isn't entirely true, we don't have Riri, Girl-Thor and Kate Bishop running around on screen.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #529
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:

Not saying you haven't -- but as a general rule, when it comes the MCU in movies, I would think that we could only assume a vague faithfility with the original source material. Just about everything in the Marvel movie universe is now being presented as if the characters were written in 2010 onward, which means the ultimate objective is to portray a universe where all races, cultures, and religions should have equal representation, and that whether you are white, black, muslim, or hindu, female, male, or whatever you might identify yourself as, there should be no difference in personality or overall life experience so identity race/gender/culture swapping should not ever be an issue because everyone is identical, essentially --- at least in Hollywood.

Yes, this may all seem somewhat Utopian and unrealistic to some, but I think we are actually closer to that MCU reality than the reality of 1962-Marvel where almost everyone in comics and film were white and women were basically just waiting to rescued. Western society at large has changed quite a bit.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #530
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseimaki View Post
I hope I don’t get banned for saying this but I personally hate the Madea movies or any all black cast movie. Mind you, I am Asian and have nothing against other ethnicities. It’s just that anything that celebrates exclusivity leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
So what is your take on Crazy Rich Asians???

p.s. Not a fan of the Madea moves either, but probably for differing reasons.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote