Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-28-2024, 01:25 PM   #31
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
With Marilyn I'm not so sure, she's so iconic that I could see even some younger collectors being interested in Marilyn Monroe items, especially those that depict such a famous scene.
Some would, for sure. But I don't imagine a great multitude of them would spend $1200 or more on a 1:4 scale statue of Monroe. That's a commitment.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:42 PM   #32
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Ok, so regardless of the quality of the statue - you're not interested....is that your point?

If you straight up have zero interest in the statue - like - 100% nichts - seriously, why even bother commenting? It's clearly not Meg Ryan or Michelle Pfeiffer sooooo......

I mean, I could stroll into a Terminator thread and complain that it's pointless because it's not Superman.....would that make any sense?

Maybe I'm missing your point.....
Not sure if that's a right or fair comparison.

Clearly I am not interested but it certainly won't stop me from commenting on the fact that some manufacturers would continue to show interest in producing statues of this particular movie star in this particular dress from a particular movie scene over and over again when there are many other options. It's just lack of imagination.

It is not like this is the first ever statue of Marilyn Monroe in that dress and pose. I wish they would do something different, something collectors don't already have and haven't seen before.

It's just another missed opportunity, IMO.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:46 PM   #33
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Exactly. I'm in my early 40's and I love Marilyn. I own the original (gold dress) Blitzway statue. It's the best likeness I've ever seen of her.
I agree with you. However, would you buy another one again like this Monroe statue?
Old 03-28-2024, 01:48 PM   #34
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
The point is , for him there is just not enough connection with Marilyn, for him to even feel nostalgic enough to want to own a statue of her. Regardless of how great it is. She is not one of his generations' actress. Not that deep.

I love Marilyn. I can appreciate that someone is out there possibly hoping for a better Marilyn than the Blitzway, but I am never ever going to buy a statue of her.
That is absolutely right.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:51 PM   #35
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
Not sure if that's a right or fair comparison.

Clearly I am not interested but it certainly won't stop me from commenting on that fact that some manufacturers would continue to show interest in producing statues of this particular movie star in this particular dress from a particular movie scene
Unlike, say, Arnold in a black leather jacket, wielding a shotgun?

Oh, my bad. I guess that's not a right or fair comparison.

Quote:
I agree with you. However, would you buy another one again like this Monroe statue?
I do have both of Blitzway's Marilyns.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
The point is , for him...
That is absolutely right.
No, Hobbyist, the point is you can't seem to understand why people like things you don't.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:58 PM   #36
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
*Sigh*

No, it's not a generation thing. Trust me, I was born long after Marilyn died.

Like I said, difficult as it might seem to grasp, some people like movies overall, beyond the usual statue-related genres. In fact, there being fewer statues for those other genres makes them all the more special.

In the thread I linked to above, you can read me and others making wish lists involving actresses as far back as the 1930's. I recall other threads with the likes of pdenham wishing away, too. Why? Because we like those actresses and we like those movies, no matter when we were born.

It's not the first time you've done this, Hobbyist - questioning the mere existence of this or that piece, wondering if they were "necessary" (to which I already replied once that nothing about this hobby was "necessary"), and I can't get my head around that.

Look, I see people with large collections of anime robots which all look pretty much the same to me, but you won't see me questioning those. People like what they like, it's as simple as that.

I enjoy movies too but just not from that era. I would like to see statues of actors and actresses from the era that I like and can relate to.

Have you seen one Michelle Pfeiffer statue that is not Catwoman? Have you ever seen a statue of Meg Ryan?

Some of their movies are just as iconic as Monroe's. Why not make statues of them instead of repeating the same Monroe statue over and over again?

You are right, It is not my first time raising this point and it certainly won't be my last. It disappoints me every time I see yet another statue of Marilyn Monroe.

Enough already. Let produce something else.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:01 PM   #37
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
....Does anyone really care?
That is besides the point. Should anyone care that you like statues of Marilyn Monroe?
Old 03-28-2024, 02:03 PM   #38
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
Bit off topic. If some company did make a Meg Ryan statue with good likeness from You've Got Mail, I would buy it. But it's likely never gonna happen.

Kathleen Kelly statue could include accessories like her Apple laptop or copy of her book "Pride and Prejudice" with a rose.

"Cecilia Kelly.... she was enchanting".
That's the source of my disappointment and hence my comment regarding repetitive statues of Monroe.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:05 PM   #39
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
No, Hobbyist, the point is you can't seem to understand why people like things you don't.
Quote:
I enjoy movies too but just not from that era. I would like to see statues of actors and actresses from the era that I like and can relate to.
I rest my case.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:06 PM   #40
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Some would, for sure. But I don't imagine a great multitude of them would spend $1200 or more on a 1:4 scale statue of Monroe. That's a commitment.
I'd spend $1,200 on a statue of Monroe over Meg Ryan any day of the week.

Quote:
I would buy another 1/4 Blitzway piece like the one I have, but in the pink dress. But, I would not buy the statue that this thread is for because it's awful.

NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote