Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #951
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I disagree wholly - I miss the days of self contained stories in a single issue. Some of these stories now move at a snails pace because they are trying to spread it out over many issues. I, for one, think quality has gone down from years past.
I could not agree more.

However, I think we may be both dating ourselves.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #952
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I could not agree more.

However, I think we may be both dating ourselves.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #953
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Yup we definitely need two sections of the comic forum: 1 for old farts, 1 for the know it all youngsters
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #954
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
Storytelling and art in early comics were not on par with what they are today. It was years before we even started getting stories that took place over multiple issues. Once that started, quality shot up exponentially, but they still don't compare to more modern stories. What was great in the 60's isn't all that great now. 60s Daredevil vs Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid Daredevil. There's a world of a difference.
I disagree. Especially on the Stan Lee, Wally Wood and Gene Colan Daredevil, since you mention the character. Not to say less of the modern creators you mention, but to say the early work isn't on par, first, is a matter of opinion and, second, is one I disagree with completely. Extending beyond Daredevil, the work of Ditko, Kirby, Gil Kane, Steranko, Colan, John Buscema, Roy Thomas and Stan during the '60s all are just stellar (my opinion).

Last edited by wktf; 02-10-2017 at 10:52 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #955
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Yup we definitely need two sections of the comic forum: 1 for old farts, 1 for the know it all youngsters
How old are you?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #956
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I disagree. Especially on the Stan Lee, Wally Wood and Gene Colan Daredevil, since you mention the character. Not to say less of the modern creators you mention, but to say the early work isn't on par, first, is a matter of opinion and, second, is one I disagree with completely. Extending beyond Daredevil, the work of Ditko, Kirby, Steranko, Colan, John Buscema, Roy Thomas and Stan during the '60s all are just stellar (my opinion).

The harsh reality is that older collectors like ourselves did not have the internet, 1000-station cable TV, X-Box, texting cell phones, and bluray players to compete for our entertainment time and money. We had the privilege and opportunity to read our books over and over, there were far fewer books available, and they were priced significantly less than they do now.

I have vivid memories of spending entire days as a kid reading comics and then discussing those stories with friends on my street (i.e., death of Gwen being a stand-out one of them, many regarding the Surfer, the sexual undertones in Conan, and my favorite - who was the better artist: Kirby or Romita). I also have many fond memories of going to the newsstand to buy comics (no comic shops then). I eagerly awaited week to week for new comics to hit the stands and spent my allowance money. Values of books were never a concern. The pure enjoyment was the only draw. Sadly, collectors today will never experience this because of everything else overwhelming and competing for their time and attention. However, if you were to ask them, I imagine many would think we got the short end of the stick.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #957
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
The harsh reality is that older collectors like ourselves did not have the internet, 1000-station cable TV, X-Box, and bluray players to compete for our entertainment time and money. We had the privilege and opportunity to read our books over and over, there were far fewer books available, and they were priced significantly less than they do now.

I have vivid memories of spending entire days as a kid reading comics and then discussing those stories with friends on my street (i.e., death of Gwen being a stand-out one of them, many regarding the Surfer, the sexual undertones in Conan, and my favorite - who was the better artist: Kirby or Romita). I also have many fond memories of going to the newsstand to buy comics (no comic shops then). I eagerly awaited week to week for new comics to hit the stands and spend my allowance money. Values of books were never a concern. The pure enjoyment was the only draw. Sadly, collectors today will never experience this because of everything else overwhelming and competing for their time and attention. However, if you were to ask them, I imagine many would would think we got the short end of the stick.
True, so true. My experience was very much the same. Thanks for this post.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #958
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
The harsh reality is that older collectors like ourselves did not have the internet, 1000-station cable TV, X-Box, and bluray players to compete for our entertainment time and money. We had the privilege and opportunity to read our books over and over, there were far fewer books available, and they were priced significantly less than they do now.

I have vivid memories of spending entire days as a kid reading comics and then discussing those stories with friends on my street (i.e., death of Gwen being a stand-out one of them, many regarding the Surfer, the sexual undertones in Conan, and my favorite - who was the better artist: Kirby or Romita). I also have many fond memories of going to the newsstand to buy comics (no comic shops then). I eagerly awaited week to week for new comics to hit the stands and spend my allowance money. Values of books were never a concern. The pure enjoyment was the only draw. Sadly, collectors today will never experience this because of everything else overwhelming and competing for their time and attention. However, if you were to ask them, I imagine many would would think we got the short end of the stick.
Spoken for the truth.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #959
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:

As one of the "old fart" members of the forum, I will agree with this post also. My Claremont and Byrne issues of the X-Men I bought as a preteen in the late 70s/early 80s are in terrible shape having read them over and over and bringing them with me everywhere during that time because I loved them so much. Nowadays I read a comic once and then file it away and forget about it most of the time.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #960
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
I was born in the wrong era... this sounds like real life magic. I for sure would have a much better appreciation for the olden comics if I had the associated nostalgia. I really romanticize the past and while reading really old comics I even envisioned the excitement of picking them up in the "good ol days" and it would have so much more meaning.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote