Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-16-2021, 06:52 PM   #301
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm1ster View Post
First of all, thank everyone for the welcome received in the forum, thank you very much.

Regarding the difference between the 2 heads, the position and shape of the eyebrows are different, the width of the mass-produced products seems a little wider. Fine brow wrinkles may look good on the prototype, but they look flat on the mass produced ones.

I personally saw the differences between the two and quite a bit, I see the prototype and I recognize Gal Gadot as if she were there, I see the other one and yes, she looks a lot like Gal but it doesn't convey to me that it is her.

In my opinion both aren't identical, not even close. Prototype wins.
We can go back and forth on this forever. In summary, I'm happy with my purchase. You feel the prototype is better. All I can say is, I hope you didn't order this, as you will clearly be disappointed. If you didn't order it, good for you, it seems you made the right decision.

If you did order it, and now regret doing so, don't worry....contact me when the statue ships, I'll take it off you for what you paid. This is a serious offer.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #302
Elm1ster
Doh!

Yes, I have it ordered, € 2600 will cost me. The final product will have to be seen put at home and I hope I will not regret it when I receive it. The point is that it would have been perfect for me if they had perfectly replicated the face of the prototype but I have not had any luck. And of course without detracting from what they have done, it is also true that you pay for it.

Regards.
Elm1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #303
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

Although, as much as I like what JND are doing right now, I hope and pray this doesn't become the "norm".....I'd be priced out of the hobby overnight.
I hope you're right. That 1/4 scale Wonder Woman from Queen Studios has me a little concerned. The fact that so many people had no issue spending $1k on a 1/4 scale statue could signal it is okay to the producers and factories to raise their prices. If $1k becomes the norm for 1/4 scale, I'm definitely out of this hobby.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #304
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
I hope you're right. That 1/4 scale Wonder Woman from Queen Studios has me a little concerned. The fact that so many people had no issue spending $1k on a 1/4 scale statue could signal it is okay to the producers and factories to raise their prices. If $1k becomes the norm for 1/4 scale, I'm definitely out of this hobby.
But it only got that price because of that headsculpt. If it wasn’t for that I’m not sure how many would’ve been willing to part with that much cash for it.

But then again I thought their Tom Holland head sculpt was excellent too, and it was priced quite a bit lower. Especially with their early bird pricing.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #305
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Joker View Post
Art is subjective so you may see a big difference but I personally don’t. The fact JND basically nailed the production piece in my views from the prototype is truly an amazing feat. Like I said earlier, I’m not getting this specific JND statue but if I were, I’d be thrilled. Again though, art is subjective and you’re totally allowed to have your view my friend!
That’s the thing, I know it’s an ‘art’ to produce these things at their seemingly high quality standards, but as to how accurate a piece is to the reality, I’m not sure how suitable the phrase ‘art is subjective’ is to this situation.

Part of me thinks it should be binary, in that it’s either a yes or no proposition, as it’s based off of an actual person. But at the same time I know many of us have differing perceptions on ‘how’ close a particular piece is.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:48 PM   #306
SLO_MO
The Spirit

I think regardless of how this piece ends up (and it looks like it will end up excellent at the very least), EVERY collectibles company out there needs to be looking at and learning from how JND are handling themselves on social media and these videos. I would love to see videos like this on any piece I'm interested in - it's so refreshing to see a company treating the collector community as if they know how the sausage is made (hint: they do) and including them in a dialogue instead of the companies treating this whole thing like some secret process.
SLO_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #307
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Agreed.

Although, as much as I like what JND are doing right now, I hope and pray this doesn't become the "norm".....I'd be priced out of the hobby overnight.

I hope the majority of collectors think like neo225, so we can keep the ultrarealistic pieces exclusive, and somewhat rare
This whole hobby is a slippery slope.

For me, it started affordable enough with McFarlane and even Hot Toys to a certain extent.

Then it transitioned to SSC/Prime 1 type 1:3 and 1:4 statues in the $500 - $1,200 range.

And now I've entered the realm of $2,000 1:3 silicone statues - I swore WW84 would be my only one but then I saw Catwoman and had to have it - it does not help my wallet that JND has great marketing hype too. Now JND obtained rights beyond just WB so the possibilities are limitless.

The only frontier remaining I so far have resisted are those $4,000 1:1 silicone busts from Infinity & Queen Studios.

First world problems!
sabin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #308
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_MO View Post
I think regardless of how this piece ends up (and it looks like it will end up excellent at the very least), EVERY collectibles company out there needs to be looking at and learning from how JND are handling themselves on social media and these videos. I would love to see videos like this on any piece I'm interested in - it's so refreshing to see a company treating the collector community as if they know how the sausage is made (hint: they do) and including them in a dialogue instead of the companies treating this whole thing like some secret process.
I like how they have 2 different videos (English & Korean) and they're not just simple 1:1 rehashes of one another - the one with Korean CEO, he gives some different information or insight then the fully English video with their Marketing employee.

Like you said, it is refreshing to see a company so seemingly transparent. I think part of the reason JND is so upfront is they are a new company trying to prove themselves to a small consumer base - and they have to give justification for their premium prices.

And so far, they have limited to the production of each statue, so it seems like an exclusive club still. Also, they are definitely attempting to position themselves as high-end and classy (i forget how many times they mentioned "marble" base in the WW84 Show & Tell ).

I think JND outsources the production of these videos so that's why they're so slick and great at marketing hype. At the end of the day, JND ultimately has to deliver in the end otherwise consumers like myself will stop buying their product.

Arthur Fleck went up before I learned about JND but I read a lot of complaints about the Barbie like hairline in the end product - the videos mention the heavy base being a problem but I have yet to see a video review complain about that. For now, I give JND the benefit of the doubt since they seem to be learning from the customer feedback and addressing these issues for the WW84 statue.

At $2,000 a statue, I won't have much patience if JND botches their end product for future releases. But for now, I like their products and marketing approach so far.
sabin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #309
Elm1ster
Doh!

@Sabin23 I think the same.

I have both, WW84 and Catwoman reserved because they seem to me to be of a higher quality than the rest, I can afford more figures of them, but if they disappoint me with either of them either I will not have patience at € 2500 a statue.
Elm1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:54 PM   #310
NYC Joker
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I’m stoked for their Ledger Joker. I love that sculpt and concept so much for the statue.
NYC Joker is offline   Reply With Quote