Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 06-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #501
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

The amazing thing is that Sven would get the Man Utd job tomorrow if he left or another big club in Spain or Italy. I just don't see why he is rated.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #502
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
The amazing thing is that Sven would get the Man Utd job tomorrow if he left or another big club in Spain or Italy. I just don't see why he is rated.
I second that.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #503
leks
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf
Today is a biggie Holland vs Argentina.
It should be interesting for several reasons. Both teams willnot take chances with any keyplayer that has yellow. The dutch are going to sideline 5 of the regulars, although the only big loss will be Robben, I am not too impressed by the others.

Becoming second means avoiding Germany a little longer.

Interesting will be seeing Kuijt play. Not the most technical striker, but persistent and smart, and strong on the ball, which we really lack atm. Lots of people want him in the team, maybe even as a midfielder if the front positions are def. taken. I always thought Sneijder and vd Vaart would come short at toplevel, but at least Sneijder should be able to play better than he did in the last game, hopefully he can show that.

This Holland team is still unproven and very few serious dutch footballfans think they have a serious chance at going far. Just reaching the 2nd stage would be good I thought and they did that, it didnot go smoothly though.

I feel sorry for Ivory Coast mainly because they are just great to watch, they deserved more def. in the Holland game but also in the Argentina game.

Still there is room for improvement, lots of players havenot played to their potential, hopefully that will happen in the next stage and we will see.
leks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:25 AM   #504
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leks
It should be interesting for several reasons. Both teams willnot take chances with any keyplayer that has yellow. The dutch are going to sideline 5 of the regulars, although the only big loss will be Robben, I am not too impressed by the others.
Is this even going to be an issue? It's been discussed earlier and I believe it's been determined that the yellows will not carry over to the elimination round. Everyone starts with a clean slate.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #505
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Is this even going to be an issue? It's been discussed earlier and I believe it's been determined that the yellows will not carry over to the elimination round. Everyone starts with a clean slate.
its an issue if a player gets 2 yellow cards in the group stages. If he has only one then the slate is clean on the knockout stages.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #506
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
its an issue if a player gets 2 yellow cards in the group stages. If he has only one then the slate is clean on the knockout stages.

Really. So how does that work then if you go into the elimination round with 2 yellows? Your first yellow and you are out?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:38 AM   #507
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

For example. Gerrard was on one yellow going into last nites game with Sweden. If he had picked up another yellow card he would have missed the game against Equador. He avoided getting a yellow card and will therefore avoid suspension and his slate is now clean. If he gets a yellow card against Equador and then another one against the next round opponents (qtr final) he will miss the semi-finals. Two yellow cards in the knockout stages also lead to a one game suspension.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #508
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Ok, I get it. And it changes nothing, Spain will still win it all.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #509
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Now tell him the offside rule, Bullseye.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 AM   #510
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Now tell him the offside rule, Bullseye.
Don't be a smartass you smarmy Brit.
Believe it or not I actually coach a girls soccer team so there.