Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-21-2020, 04:09 AM   #441
dianahase
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Beautiful work, Diana.

The lens distortion makes her before mouth area look almost simian. The fuller paint on the both upper and lower lips helps offset that. I thought it might be just a little too much- too large, too dark- for my taste, but seeing the direct side-by-side now I was wrong. Major improvement.

Did you have to strip it down to bare resin, or were you able to use the factory paints as a base?

Also, thanks for the full fig pics schachi08. That's a nice size improvement over the stock statue, and most likely the best looking SS Hawkgirl out there in the wild now.
I guess the factory went for this half-painted lip color because Kat also painted it like this in the prototype, but I don't understand why her full and beautiful lips were downgraded so much.

I never strip down to the base resin if I just get a head for repainting, as the skin tone must match the rest of the body. Also, the paint sticks to the other paint just as fine as to primer. However, I remove all decals usedm such as the iris and eyebrows and get rid of any dark colors, like the black lids before I paint over.
dianahase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #442
WhistlingTime
Birdman

I wish people would stop repainting their head sculpts.

I often think the factory paint looks pretty decent and then someone comes along and highlights how much better it could be. Curse you talented people!

Nice work though, Diana!
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:34 AM   #443
Pharmer
The Herculoids

Wow ��. Reminds me of Vicente Torres repainting some of Sideshow’s pieces. The talented artists out there take these pieces to such an amazing level it’s a bit depressing knowing what a piece could have looked like. Would love to see more work!!!
Pharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #444
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Just opened this up and I have mix feelings on this. Overall the base, body, reg head and arms are painted well but the EX head lacks finesse. The wings are just god damn awful. I hate the grey look on it as it’s basically 1 color. I’ll repaint that.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #445
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

I got this today, the piece is fantastic. Looks great set up. Taking the wings out they look very plasticy in the box, which they are, but look ok once assembled. Putting the arms on is a huge PITA and everything fits so tight getting it back apart is a struggle. The overbight lip looks ok in hand, if you hold it and tip her head back it doesn’t look that way at all. But I’ll be using the EX head all the time anyway.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #446
pdenham
Teen Titans

After a couple years of playing Tetris in various parts of the house with this large shipper, I finally, FINALLY, have the chance to set this up and display it (for a least a couple days), and get a decent look at it.

When it first arrived, two years back, I did a quick check for damage and to eyeball the paint apps. One of the collar ends was broken off (clean break. Superglued it, and happy to see it's still set), and, of course, the paint apps on the face were clearly nowhere near as good as the prototype.
I quickly boxed it back up, and in the two years since, came to regard it as a bit of an albatross I've been stuck with.

After the bitter disappointment I'd had with the Iron Studios 1/3 Hawkman, even though I've been a fan of this character for decades, this seemed more of a consolation prize as anything. While I dug the look of the prototype, I knew there was no way it could ever come anywhere close to the presence of that IS piece.
And it doesn't. Sheer size does make a difference.

Fortunately, it's not without it's own charms.

I'm happy to see that setting it well above eye level, and viewed from my regular vantage point a few feet back, all my initial negative impressions of it have faded away.
Much of what I loved about it in the prototype comes through clear. Even the disappointment I have with the factory paint apps on the portrait are mitigated with distance and viewing angle. I may have it repainted at some point, but it's honestly not a big deal to me anymore.

Set up was a breeze (the trick with the hands is to join the mace handle first and then attach both forearms to the figure at the same time), and it's very satisfying to finally see this thing take flight.
Very happy now I kept it in reserve all this time, rather than selling it off for space reasons. Gives me hope that the other statues I've bought since, and still haven't displayed, will also prove just as satisfying eventually.

Unfortunately the crappy cell phone pics are the best I can do atm. In actuality, where the base meets the riser is just at, or slightly above eye level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	153585   Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	153586  
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:04 PM   #447
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Looks good pdenham
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:18 AM   #448
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianahase View Post
Thanks so much guys for all your feedback! Here is a direct comparison!

Seeing the half painted lips reminds me of the recent Huntress.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:19 AM   #449
becakbagus
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
After a couple years of playing Tetris in various parts of the house with this large shipper, I finally, FINALLY, have the chance to set this up and display it (for a least a couple days), and get a decent look at it.

When it first arrived, two years back, I did a quick check for damage and to eyeball the paint apps. One of the collar ends was broken off (clean break. Superglued it, and happy to see it's still set), and, of course, the paint apps on the face were clearly nowhere near as good as the prototype.
I quickly boxed it back up, and in the two years since, came to regard it as a bit of an albatross I've been stuck with.

After the bitter disappointment I'd had with the Iron Studios 1/3 Hawkman, even though I've been a fan of this character for decades, this seemed more of a consolation prize as anything. While I dug the look of the prototype, I knew there was no way it could ever come anywhere close to the presence of that IS piece.
And it doesn't. Sheer size does make a difference.

Fortunately, it's not without it's own charms.

I'm happy to see that setting it well above eye level, and viewed from my regular vantage point a few feet back, all my initial negative impressions of it have faded away.
Much of what I loved about it in the prototype comes through clear. Even the disappointment I have with the factory paint apps on the portrait are mitigated with distance and viewing angle. I may have it repainted at some point, but it's honestly not a big deal to me anymore.

Set up was a breeze (the trick with the hands is to join the mace handle first and then attach both forearms to the figure at the same time), and it's very satisfying to finally see this thing take flight.
Very happy now I kept it in reserve all this time, rather than selling it off for space reasons. Gives me hope that the other statues I've bought since, and still haven't displayed, will also prove just as satisfying eventually.

Unfortunately the crappy cell phone pics are the best I can do atm. In actuality, where the base meets the riser is just at, or slightly above eye level.
crappy cell phone pics but looks good,
becakbagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #450
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos49698 View Post
Looks good pdenham
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becakbagus View Post
crappy cell phone pics but looks good,
Thanks. I'm embarrassed to post them, but it's impossible to get across some points without some kind of visual aid.

If I ever get a better camera, I promise the word count in my posts will drop dramatically.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote