Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #251
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Most of those 1/6 diorama creatures were pre-2008, where the dollar bought you a whole lot more, and they were relatively underproduced compared to the 1/6 dolls they were meant for. The Salacious Crumb 1:1 which was comparable to this Rancor in volume, fiberglass, but more detailed, was only $600.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #252
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equi-nox76 View Post
Usually reviewers tend to LOVE everything they get for their collection, if there is something negative they mention it casually. I never rely on those reviews because most of the time they are no real reviews but presentations.

In the last Rancor "review" all of this was mentioned:

- visible seamlines on the arms
- visible seamlines on the body
- a big design issue is the inside of the mouth
- it was mentioned 7 or 8 times that this is made of PVC, a little bit cheaper material
- the nail is too clode to the foot
- paint flaws on the base, it is a little bit of a miss and sloppy done
- some areas of the paintjob look cheap on the body (left side of the face and shoulder)
- not digging the gloss effects on the body
- the moist effect in the mouth is not perfectly done
- the piece does not have an exceptional value, but you could get your maney back
- a chain would have been nice
- tha packaging is not good

Still it gets a full 5 out of 5 "It is actually really well done" is not a comment that reflects that rating to me.

This is the reason why I never trust in reviews and rather need to see a piece like this in hand @ someone else's collection.

Chris
I don't know, I've seen that guy be pretty harsh about some pieces he's purchased...he completely destroyed a Venom one he bought for a huge price. Seems like he might just really love the character though so that would change someone's opinion on value dramatically.
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #253
leplant
Deadman

Mine is on its way, and I’m more excited/nervous about this one than I’ve been about a collectible in a while. Not as concerned about building materials as I am about the paint. Sometimes resin isn’t the right material for the job, but there’s a collectors obsession with it. The video I saw makes him look far to light. Hopefully that’s a lighting issue.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:39 AM   #254
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Most of those 1/6 diorama creatures were pre-2008, where the dollar bought you a whole lot more, and they were relatively underproduced compared to the 1/6 dolls they were meant for. The Salacious Crumb 1:1 which was comparable to this Rancor in volume, fiberglass, but more detailed, was only $600.
That's true, the first Doctor Doom was just, correct me if I am wrong, about 300 or 350 USD! That was including shipping and customs to Germany about 400 Euro. That Doom with the Throne would have a retailprice of 1200 USD now and it would be completely holo. Even if you look at more recent pieces like the Tauntaun from 2015. I doubt that SSC or HT would offer that one in a 1/6 scale for less than 849 USD nowadays. I got my Tauntauns last month, one for 650 Euro, the other one for 750 Euro (both mint, complete, including all packaging material and the shipper). To me it is most of the time the inflation that makes the prices go up on the aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
I don't know, I've seen that guy be pretty harsh about some pieces he's purchased...he completely destroyed a Venom one he bought for a huge price. Seems like he might just really love the character though so that would change someone's opinion on value dramatically.
This was the first review I watched from him, so I can't tell. It was obvious that he loves the character and has a lot of memories attached to it.

Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #255
leplant
Deadman

Just found these pictures, courtesy of DarthNutz on the Freaks Forum. Unbelievable, this is just huge, and appears to pair nicely with the figures. I thought Jabba was big and difficult to accommodate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	478eb311350aaf495b401033182f3a84.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	137334  
Old 03-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #256
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplant View Post
Just found these pictures, courtesy of DarthNutz on the Freaks Forum. Unbelievable, this is just huge, and appears to pair nicely with the figures. I thought Jabba was big and difficult to accommodate.
Scale looks perfect at 1:6 then. I need to see one of the guards in his hand now.
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #257
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplant View Post
That looks nice in that setup!
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #258
leplant
Deadman

The paint looks better in these photos than it did on the Xtreme Channel video, which is a relief. I share his dislike of the "sub base" though. IMO, it would have looked better if the natural ground effect wasn't interrupted.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #259
leplant
Deadman

1. Original Prop
2. Regal Robots Prop Replica
3. Sideshows 1/6 scale
4. Gentle Giants (not certain of scale)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bf4b2cf33300f487fd9e559b516d6448.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	137335   Click image for larger version

Name:	rancor-puppet-prop-replica-statue-10.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	137336   Click image for larger version

Name:	rancor-deluxe-statue_star-wars_gallery_60183e750ed41.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	137337   Click image for larger version

Name:	GG-Rancor-002.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	137338  
Old 03-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #260
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
Indeed I don't like his reviews much but I wouldn't say he's dishonest about them. Things can have issues, sometimes they are nice enough or impressive enough to go past them.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote