Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #1
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Dark Horse: Aang Memorial Statue

Photos from SDCC 2014.

Dark Horse announced they'd be releasing it next year.

Not my first pick for a Legend of Korra statue but hopefully this starts something. A statue of an animated statue ain't my thing. It reminds me of an unpainted kit.

That Naga plush is 11 inches tall so I'd put Aang around 15 inches to the top of his staff.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
travis
A.I.M.

So bought
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
So bought
Legend of Korra collectibles is a greatly starved market so I imagine there are a number of people on the same wavelength.

Dark Horse did say it would be limited but have not mentioned any ES.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I need this!
DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
KELPIE
New Republic

Well.... that sucks :/

No, honestly I've been craving for some awesome Airbender and Korra statues but this?

Oh sure, I'll probably buy it. However how much better would Aang and his friends be as a series from Airbender and then lead into Korra statues.

Of course you could say 1/4 would be nice as well.

Does anyone even have any attachment to a representation of old Aang? Or is it just because it's the only statue from either series?
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
Well.... that sucks :/

No, honestly I've been craving for some awesome Airbender and Korra statues but this?

Oh sure, I'll probably buy it. However how much better would Aang and his friends be as a series from Airbender and then lead into Korra statues.

Of course you could say 1/4 would be nice as well.

Does anyone even have any attachment to a representation of old Aang? Or is it just because it's the only statue from either series?
Given Nickelodeon's particularly bad ongoing treatment of the series, I'd be happy we're getting any kind of merchandise at all. 1/4th statues of the original gaang and Korra crew would be a dream turned reality, but I'm looking forward to things like this all the same.

..and to be fair.

Aang's statue at the Southern Air Temple:

Toph's statue in Republic City:

Toph's first statue in Zaofu:

Toph's second statue in Zaofu(and perhaps the most character appropriate of the three):

Sokka's statue in Republic City, boomerang and all:

Zuko's statue in Republic City:

Wan/Raava statue at the Southern Air Temple:

Wouldn't be surprised to see a statue of Katara in Book 4, especially if they decided to show her passing on-screen. Supposedly the writing process was so emotional, it brought many people involved to tears. While the end of any show is bound to get everyone really worked up, I can only imagine some of the things they have in store for us viewers.

Morbid presumptions aside, there's plenty for Dark Horse to reference should they pursue a full line of collectibles similar to Aang's memorial. Hell, even the Cabbage Merchant has one.

TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

The Aang statue works because it holds a lot of significance. He's the most pivotal character in the story, it links together past/present and gets a lot of screen time.

Should this sell well, I expect a Korra. It'd be cool (but also very difficult) if they could show her bending all four elements at once. Not necessarily this image but you get the idea.

I'm hoping Dark Horse doesn't just give up when book 4 ends. Personally, I think the show is amazing will live beyond its hype. 20 years from now people will still be mentioning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
Given Nickelodeon's particularly bad ongoing treatment of the series, I'd be happy we're getting any kind of merchandise at all. 1/4th statues of the original gaang and Korra crew would be a dream turned reality, but I'm looking forward to things like this all the same.
I wonder if Nickelodeon is painful to work with or something. This stuff is a goldmine for toy merchandise. Why are companies not throwing themselves at them?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
This is a fair comment and one I agree with, as I mentioned, I'll likely get it.

I just don't understand the thought process behind a decision like this? Maybe it's to do with the license they have, however wouldn't you imagine any rendition of any actual character would sell better?

In summary, I don't know why there isn't a statue company out there that focuses on statues for cartoons?

Apart from this, there's:
Transformers
G.I.Joe
TMNT
Hanna Barbera
Nickelodeon
Loony Tunes
Disney

and that's without even thinking about it. There's an untapped goldmine out there.

Hands up who would want a 1/4 Inspector Gadget, with swap out gadget parts?
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

pretty coolah
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
Should this sell well, I expect a Korra. It'd be cool (but also very difficult) if they could show her bending all four elements at once. Not necessarily this image but you get the idea.

http://cardiffstudentmedia.co.uk/que...12/korra5.jpeg
Always loved that image; sincerely hope the sculptors at DH are up for the task one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
I'm hoping Dark Horse doesn't just give up when book 4 ends. Personally, I think the show is amazing will live beyond its hype. 20 years from now people will still be mentioning it.

I wonder if Nickelodeon is painful to work with or something. This stuff is a goldmine for toy merchandise. Why are companies not throwing themselves at them?
I don't usually like to point the blame in any one direction, but they're a big chunk of the problem here.. They've never been competent enough to deal with a show like this and the fan base that comes with it. Everything from mishandled marketing and advertisement to poor programming, leaks, delays, inconsistent time slots and air dates; you name it. It's an issue that started around Book 3 of A:tLA that's just snowballed ever since.

Not only was Book 3 of Korra one of the least watched shows on Nickelodeon this year, but it also set record lows for both series in regards to average viewers per episode. Personally, I'd rank this last Book of Korra, as well as the entirety of both Avatar: the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra as some of, if not the best Western animation in history. Truth be told, I'm extremely biased, but it's no secret the show is critically acclaimed. Taking that all into consideration, the real issue becomes a little clearer.

Does that mean that they're at fault for what we perceive as disinterest from collectible companies around here? Not necessarily, but it could be an indication that they're not overly concerned with trying to appeal to those in this hobby. After all, despite all the issues, Korra is probably their most merchandised show. With all the products/projects they've got going on in-house and through their partnership with Dark Horse, they might not mind sailing it out until the end of the series and beyond on what they've already established.

I, too, hope Dark Horse and Nickelodeon are willing to explore the collectible industry a little further when Book 4 has come and gone. There's definitely a demand for it and is it stands, they're the only contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
This is a fair comment and one I agree with, as I mentioned, I'll likely get it.

I just don't understand the thought process behind a decision like this? Maybe it's to do with the license they have, however wouldn't you imagine any rendition of any actual character would sell better?

In summary, I don't know why there isn't a statue company out there that focuses on statues for cartoons?

Apart from this, there's:
Transformers
G.I.Joe
TMNT
Hanna Barbera
Nickelodeon
Loony Tunes
Disney

and that's without even thinking about it. There's an untapped goldmine out there.

Hands up who would want a 1/4 Inspector Gadget, with swap out gadget parts?
Not arguing with you there; I completely agree.

I'd like to think that from their perspective, by pursuing a statue like this, in which there's already a clear, iconic image at hand, their creative team doesn't have to jump through hoops to put something out there. It works, it looks good and while not everyone's first choice, it has people interested.

Tough to say where exactly they'll take it from here. For all we know, this may be a one off and they might already be designing actual representations of characters to produce. Or, and I hope that this isn't the case, they might just stop with the Aang statue.. Time will tell.

As far as outside companies go, I wish I knew. Without any behind the scenes knowledge, there's no way of telling why certain gems in the pile get continuously overlooked.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote