Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-20-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
Das Brutah
The Avengers

Jump on point or Jump off?

DC and Marvel continue to try and shake things up by restarting their universes and launching updated versions of their characters.

I totally undrerstand and respect the creative efforts of the teams trying to breathe new life into long standing characters.

Part of the business "justification" claimed is this makes it easier for new fans to jump on. I personally believe these relaunches become more of a jump off point. Any gains in sales from new fans dropping off after a short time, and overall sales declining as the longer tenured fans feel alienated as the new direction doesn't pay homage to established continuity.

Thoughts?
Das Brutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Agree. Jump off.

I am not buying any of the Civil War II books from Marvel, with its promise of massive changes and paradigm shifting stories. It's just a movie tie in mess that I just can't get excited about.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

I very much enjoyed Mark Millar's original Civil War mini-series & even the tie-ins. I still pull 'em out of the long box every once and a while & read the whole damn thing from start to finish. I'll leave my memories of Civil War with just that one series. That's it. I have no intention of muddying the waters w/ this new movie cash grab.

I've jumped-off more than a few titles due to almost annual restarts.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

I haven't purchased a comic book (i.e, single issue) in years. I just can't get into all the gimmick, trendy, change-for-change-sake stuff. However, if I hear of good reviews of something new, I may pick up a TPB or hardcover (e.g., Jason Aaron's Thor).
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
XSE
Nightwing

Jumping off point mostly. I'm out for CWII I'm still dropping titles that I started picking up after Secret Wars and with Rebirth I may be out on the few DC titles I was still buying.
XSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
ftrez
Nightwing

I think that "perfect jumping on points", especially when coupled with New 52-style reboots, always make perfect jumping off points for long time readers. I haven't read or bought a single new 52 book. That was an easy jump for me.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I started picking up single issues regularly maybe just over a year ago so I thought heading into Secret Wars that it would be a great time to really start collecting, but it already is way too confusing and too much to keep up with. And now Civil War and it just seems tiresome. I've recently become much more interested in omnibus books so at least I can just read one story in pretty much it's entirety without having to look for tie-ins or if I miss an issue for some reason.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I am a DC guy and Rebirth signifies the end of my 30 year run, to the month no less. Too much filler from month to monrh IMHO. Don't know why there is such opposition to publishing fewer books, but with higher quality and sell more copies. All the garbage books out there make it intimidating for anyone to consider jumping in IMHO.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I am a DC guy and Rebirth signifies the end of my 30 year run, to the month no less. Too much filler from month to monrh IMHO. Don't know why there is such opposition to publishing fewer books, but with higher quality and sell more copies. All the garbage books out there make it intimidating for anyone to consider jumping in IMHO.
Too much filler? DC?

They have high quality books...maybe you just aren't reading the right ones anymore
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
SONICobra
Batman

ironically all these reboots are supposed to make it easier to "jump on"

im interested to see how superman / aquaman / flash are after rebirth - may be a jumping on point for me personally

I just pick up the things I find interesting, im ok with the evolution these titles take even if I don't prefer it to its former self. usually takes a lot for me to drop a title; im still buying spawn even though I haven't read a single issue for the past few years. its tough because ive been on since issue #1, guess I just want to get to a nice round number
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote