Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Augen
The Hulk

Question What you look for in a statue?

I was curious when you look at statues how you decide if you want a particular one or not. Have my five points that push me one way or the other.

1. Character - Simply put right out the gate if it is someone I don't care about can do everything right and still pass on it.

2. Art Style - The is the big deal breaker, if the style doesn't appeal you cannot save it with everything else for me.

3. Value - For the quality of the piece I do an assessment of valuating it. I can love how something looks, but at $1000+ I struggle to rationalize it.

4. Face/Expression - I've learned how much facial design can put me off. Where my eyes go first and make the biggest impression.

5. Pose - Adds life to a piece making it feel vibrant with attitude fitting the character.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

Those are definitely the big 5 for me. I have so many now that I'm in the process of selling some of the "really cool" ones that I can live without. So I guess, I have a 6th point: Is this a statue/character that I would sell later down the road to make room for another one?
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
adee
Green Arrow

I'm much more simple. If I like it and can afford it I get it. If not I pass.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I'm much more simple. If I like it and can afford it I get it. If I don't I pass.
What do you look for that makes you like a statue?
Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
What do you look for that makes you like a statue?
It could be a number of things. I don't necessarily run it through a list of criteria.

I'm not a huge Cheetah fan, but she's up on my shelf as I type.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

I think QC plays a factor as well. Some statues may pass all of the qualifications that Augen listed, but if you go through four or five of the same statue but still can't get one w/o serious flaws, you kinda give up hope.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
rykerw1701
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I was curious when you look at statues how you decide if you want a particular one or not. Have my five points that push me one way or the other.

1. Character - Simply put right out the gate if it is someone I don't care about can do everything right and still pass on it.

2. Art Style - The is the big deal breaker, if the style doesn't appeal you cannot save it with everything else for me.

3. Value - For the quality of the piece I do an assessment of valuating it. I can love how something looks, but at $1000+ I struggle to rationalize it.

4. Face/Expression - I've learned how much facial design can put me off. Where my eyes go first and make the biggest impression.

5. Pose - Adds life to a piece making it feel vibrant with attitude fitting the character.

I might add: 6. Do I actually have room for the &%(#ing thing?
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
spriggan
The Spirit

I agree with those points. For me, I also include:
7. Will my wife kill me if I buy it?
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriggan View Post
I agree with those points. For me, I also include:
7. Will my wife kill me if I buy it?
I'm lucky in that my wife has her own hobbies so she understands. We have a simple agreement, all the bills get paid and money is in rainy day fund before indulging our wants.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
Dragonman
Doh!

For me Paint, Pose, Detail and Theme are the big ones for me.

Paint- i like the paint job to look sharp and the color to be correct. No lime green Hulks and no sky blue Caps.

Pose- I prefer a pose out of the comics as well. If i can place a pose from a particular comic i enjoyed and i like the character, it most likely is for me or at least the odds go way up of me wanting it. Same goes fop a pose from a movie.

Detail- i love lights and i love lights on my statues. I really like very detailed pieces that take advantage of the lighting. I also prefer an adult looking statue over a cartoon looking statue.

Finally theme. I have several themes for each shelf and if it does not fit that particular theme, i am probably not buying it. Currently i am working on a X-men shelf and a Spiderman Villians shelf.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote