Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
iceprince_x
Deadman

Bowen Emma Frost repaint question

I will be getting an Emma Frost Diamond exclusive by December or January and I want to change the color of her costume to white.

Question: Do I need to strip the silver paint off or I can just top it with a white flat paint before putting layers of pearlessence?

thanks in advance for those who will share their advise.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I believe it depends on what kind of finish (sealant) the bust has on it. To be safe I would say you have to mask off all the areas you do not want to paint then lightly mist the areas to be painted with primer so that the white paint will have something to "grip" on to. Otherwise there's a good chance the paint will just chip off.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

If its a clear resin sculpt dont even attempt to strip it, any kind of solvent on the clear resin/plastic will cloud it up or even turn it white.

Best to just mask over the clear areas and paint up the outfit the colors you want them.

You could wet sand the painted areas lightly, dry up and then some paint should stick to it in case its cleared coated.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
iceprince_x
Deadman

Thanks guys for the advice.

I forgot to mention... this is the bowen Emma Frost modern diamond version exclusive, not the bust.

I will be applying this technique also with a green phoenix statue.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
skorpsta
Ghost

iam currently repainting mine white..but its the mod reg version..and what did was sprayed the statue with testors dull coat laquer..or a laquer base primer..i use plastikot auto primer grey or white..but when you prime it some primers leave a gritty spray then you might have to sand and smooth...plastikot does not leave as much ogf a gritty spray..then masked off all her flesh with medium adhesive 3m blue masking tape. then starting to apply the paint...i have done several repaints like this for the past 5 years and never had a problem..BUT YOURS IS A CLEAR RESIN SO I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT DULL COATING IT...good luck..seems alot of peoplewhat to make her costume white..the silver looks good on the retro.
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
If its a clear resin sculpt dont even attempt to strip it, any kind of solvent on the clear resin/plastic will cloud it up or even turn it white.

Best to just mask over the clear areas and paint up the outfit the colors you want them.

You could wet sand the painted areas lightly, dry up and then some paint should stick to it in case its cleared coated.
Glad Vince got to you first, I was about to respond asap. Stripping a clear resin should never happen.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Busts View Post
Glad Vince got to you first, I was about to respond asap. Stripping a clear resin should never happen.
i agree..go vince on the info
Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Do post step-by-step pics, man. Good luck!
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
skorpsta
Ghost

iam currently repainting mine white..but its the mod reg version..and what did was sprayed the statue with testors dull coat laquer..or a laquer base primer..i use plastikot auto primer grey or white..but when you prime it some primers leave a gritty spray then you might have to sand and smooth...plastikot does not leave as much ogf a gritty spray..then masked off all her flesh with medium adhesive 3m blue masking tape. then starting to apply the paint...i have done several repaints like this for the past 5 years and never had a problem..BUT YOURS IS A CLEAR RESIN SO I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT DULL COATING IT...good luck..seems alot of peoplewhat to make her costume white..the silver looks

here is my repaint of her...
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=111578
Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
skorpsta
Ghost

post pics when shes done