Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I'm not surprised by this at all. As much as I like Vaughn's work he is annoyingly fickle.
really? does he say ridiculous stuff or what does he do?

I'm asking because I love Vaughns work but I have no idea how he is with the media etc
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

For me this is a disaster. Far superior Director to Singer.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I cannot stand Singer as a director. He is way overrated and has been riding the X-Men train for more than a decade. What has he done since then? Manage to damn near kill the Superman franchise and tie vaughan's hands by having to stick with his canon. If Fox is smart they will dump him, and reboot with something more in the Avengers vein--which I'm sure is what they are planning for Fantastic Four. I know some folks really liked XFC and have been looking forward to the sequel. I liked it as well, but at $350M worldwide it barely hit the lower end of box office expectation. So while it wasn't the colossal flop that was Green Lantern, I'm sure Fox wasn't thrilled. And you can bet they are looking at the $1.5B the Avengers has raked in and are saying "yeah, we want that kind of money." I think the only way that would possibly get there would be a full reboot. That would give them the freedom to use the real core characters--Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast and Iceman, and then midway through bring in the likes of Storm, Wolverine, Colossus and maybe someone unexpected like Sunfire. All recast and with costumes closer to the comic influences. I think if Jennifer Lawrence and/or Fassbender drops out there won't be a sequel.
I think Singer is overrated but hes still a good director. His next film looks great too.

I think hes been riding the success of usual suspects more so than x-men. I don't think usual suspects is a masterpiece like some do but I acknowledge its a classic for a reason. Its good I like it about as much as primal fear and for similar reasons.

To me hes just been a decent director that gets the job done. Matt Vaughn isn't much different IMO but his movies really connect with me, stardust aside I think hes better than Singer.

I don't care how much money XMFC didn't make to me its the best or second best marvel film after spidey2. If you wanna call it a team up film (which it kind of is) its the standard of what team up films should be like. I hope they continue this series with their great cast and smart writing as opposed to making it a live action cartoon that makes money. More people will come around for the second film they always do. Especially now that most have seen it on dvd and realize its a good film.

I could care less which characters they use and what they look like, those are secondary goals. Primarily its about making good movies with good acting and an engaging story and I'm pretty sure most directors would agree with that.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
For me this is a disaster. Far superior Director to Singer.
agreed I love Vaughn
Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

It's not certain that Singer will be the director yet. Just a reminder.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Regardless of how much folks did or did not like XFC, or whether the flick was critically praised, or if it stuck to comic roots, these types of movies are expected to be big money-makers for the studios. They cost a lot and can be extremely risky. Marvel/Disney threaded the needle with both the solo hero movies (Iron Man, Thor, Cap) and the team-up blockbuster. DC's/Warner's results were a rollercoaster -- Batman was a hit, Superman was a flop, and Green Lantern was a box office disaster. Man of Steel is an unknown at this point but I'm optimistic, and they are rolling the dice and going all in with Justice League. It's a pretty sure bet that Avengers 2 will easily top $1B worldwide. Justice League has the potential to match those numbers. Fox needs a superhero tentpole franchise to compete in the arena with those two heavyweights, and $350M box office is not going to to do it. I personally think they would be crazy to keep it in Singer's hands, stay on the same path, and expect different results. Moviegoers are familiar with those characters and the look of these movies and they know what to expect. Whether you stick sentinels in there, set it in the 70s, or have another cameo from Jackman won't make much of a difference. IMO the nearly 15-year-old X-Men franchise looks tired even with the most recent nip-tuck. It's like the Batman or James Bond franchises. Batman went from the Burtonverse to Schumacherland to Nolan. Bond has been even more varied, Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and currently Craig. The franchise is in need of an "All New! All Different!" reboot (yes that's a nod to GS X-Men #1). When Singer was first hired fresh off The Usual Suspects, he was one of those hot young directors like M. Night Shyamalan studios that get excited about. They produce some hits and some misses that cost big bucks. With Vaughan gone Fox has the opportunity to thank him for his services, send him packing, and bring in a more talented director with a new vision. Otherwise the franchise is going to remain rooted in an out-of-date formula when the movie-going audience clearly has an appetite for something different, more fun and more saturated in color and spectacle. Interestingly enough when Fantastic Four is rebooted I hope they keep Kirby, Perez and Byrne in mind. Not only a CGI Thing (which should be easier to pull off than Hulk) but also monster designs. I actually think that franchise might be the dark horse surprise, especially if Singer stays on board with XMen and continues to churn out more of the same.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Justice League has the potential to match those numbers.
You wish.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

What ultimately killed Superman returns was that dreadful script. It was just an abysmal movie. However, as I really liked X-Men 1+2, and Unusual suspects, I'd give Singer one more shot at the helm as he clearly did more good things than bad. I would imagine that the fan reaction to Superman caught his attention, as well as those around him. Unlike most recent superhero flicks, we can find Singer's Superman in most $5 bins at stores. That says everything.

What's most concerning is that he has only directed 2 or 3 big screen features in the past 10 years. It's not like the studios are knocking on his door.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Regardless of how much folks did or did not like XFC, or whether the flick was critically praised, or if it stuck to comic roots, these types of movies are expected to be big money-makers for the studios. They cost a lot and can be extremely risky. Marvel/Disney threaded the needle with both the solo hero movies (Iron Man, Thor, Cap) and the team-up blockbuster. DC's/Warner's results were a rollercoaster -- Batman was a hit, Superman was a flop, and Green Lantern was a box office disaster. Man of Steel is an unknown at this point but I'm optimistic, and they are rolling the dice and going all in with Justice League. It's a pretty sure bet that Avengers 2 will easily top $1B worldwide. Justice League has the potential to match those numbers. Fox needs a superhero tentpole franchise to compete in the arena with those two heavyweights, and $350M box office is not going to to do it. I personally think they would be crazy to keep it in Singer's hands, stay on the same path, and expect different results. Moviegoers are familiar with those characters and the look of these movies and they know what to expect. Whether you stick sentinels in there, set it in the 70s, or have another cameo from Jackman won't make much of a difference. IMO the nearly 15-year-old X-Men franchise looks tired even with the most recent nip-tuck. It's like the Batman or James Bond franchises. Batman went from the Burtonverse to Schumacherland to Nolan. Bond has been even more varied, Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and currently Craig. The franchise is in need of an "All New! All Different!" reboot (yes that's a nod to GS X-Men #1). When Singer was first hired fresh off The Usual Suspects, he was one of those hot young directors like M. Night Shyamalan studios that get excited about. They produce some hits and some misses that cost big bucks. With Vaughan gone Fox has the opportunity to thank him for his services, send him packing, and bring in a more talented director with a new vision. Otherwise the franchise is going to remain rooted in an out-of-date formula when the movie-going audience clearly has an appetite for something different, more fun and more saturated in color and spectacle. Interestingly enough when Fantastic Four is rebooted I hope they keep Kirby, Perez and Byrne in mind. Not only a CGI Thing (which should be easier to pull off than Hulk) but also monster designs. I actually think that franchise might be the dark horse surprise, especially if Singer stays on board with XMen and continues to churn out more of the same.
Just because that was the case for avengers doesn't mean it will be for x-men. If every marvel film already brings an avengers style of film to the table don't you think the market is already flooded with that tone. If you're worried about churning out more of the same then why would you want an XMen film thats exactly like several other marvel film franchises.

The film you desire works for fantastic four, however XMFC worked for x-men. Not every good film can be groundbreaking in sales, 350 million is not good but its not bad. Lots of things contribute to what sells tickets.

The quality of the films themselves is unfortunately not the main reason for ticket sales these days. With superhero films especially (X3, Spidey3). IMO its less the popular characters and silly action scenes that sells tickets and more the marketing and trailers.

I also don't want to see a singer styled X1\2 style film for XMFC2 I want it to maintain what XMFC did.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post
really? does he say ridiculous stuff or what does he do?

I'm asking because I love Vaughns work but I have no idea how he is with the media etc
Fickle in that he doesn't follow through with his commitments. Remember he was set to direct X-Men 3 before bailing at the last second. That hack Ratner was brought in only 2 weeks before filming began. Vaughn also opted out of Directing Kick-Ass 2. Now he has done it again with X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote