Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #81
bwestley13
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadarkknight View Post
Yeah dude this is a slap in the face to the people that paid aftermarket prices. I won’t be preordering anymore. Hate it for the people that paid $200-$400 for that catwoman if it gets rereleased.
I normally regret selling or giving away something that jumps up in value more than buying something that drops. I just bought Power Girl, Phoenix, Wonder Woman ver1 and Jean Grey off of a forum member last month. I thought he gave me a really great deal for all 4 and dont have any regrets. I did sell a Headless Ned Stark for $70, doubling my money, its worth $1200+ now. I gave my nephew all of my MTG cards I had from HS (mid90s) he bought himself a really nice car.
bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 AM   #82
jal4u2c
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Personally, i like the re-issues. I'm not collecting them because they are limited or worth x-amount of dollars. I collect them because i like them. And i for one, would not pay what Power Girl goes for on ebay. So i'm glad they are re-issuing her. I will definitely be picking it up. They have released the Superman Man of Tomorrow twice and i missed it both times by scalpers hoarding them up to sell for stupid amounts. I hope they keep releasing it until demand is met without having to break the bank to get it.
jal4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #83
Augen
Metal Men

I can see both sides, I don't view these as investments so I don't care if they are worthless after i buy them. That said, I get people being upset spending 2-4x MSRP in secondary market and then the price drops due to second printing.

Would a compromise of denoting "first or second printing" on pieces satisfy collectors and people who just want to own something to enjoy it?
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #84
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Re-issues are standard with anime statues and usually only brings the originals' market prices down for a short while unless the second edition changes or improves something. It's similarly silly as worrying about their lack of edition sizes, as they are often made-to-order and have much more limited pre-order windows compared to Western statues. Re-issues of older sculpts, IMO, should be seen as a testament to that design holding up even as the newer Bishoujo waves make several of the earlier pieces look dated by comparison.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #85
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Would a compromise of denoting "first or second printing" on pieces satisfy collectors and people who just want to own something to enjoy it?
That should've been done with blue/grey Batgirl because the first batch had runny gold paint. Now, since there's nothing on the statue or box to differentiate between the two, it's a gamble when buying that particular piece. You won't know which one you have until you get an unpleasant surprise.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #86
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
That should've been done with blue/grey Batgirl because the first batch had runny gold paint. Now, since there's nothing on the statue or box to differentiate between the two, it's a gamble when buying that particular piece. You won't know which one you have until you get an unpleasant surprise.
I went through that.

I'm fine with re-releases of these.

It's a good reminder never to pay silly money which is a feeling you get in your gut even without any possibility of re-release on the horizon.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #87
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I went through that.

I'm fine with re-releases of these.

It's a good reminder never to pay silly money which is a feeling you get in your gut even without any possibility of re-release on the horizon.
I've backed off on many pieces once my limit threshold is surpassed. Either make peace that you won't own it or make peace spending that kind of money.

Of course, I stopped thinking of my hobbies as investments long time ago so different frame of reference.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #88
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
make peace spending that kind of money.
YOLO MINO
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #89
built2shred
Phoenix

If they don't set an Edition Size then they're free to reissue all they want...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #90
bwestley13
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
If they don't set an Edition Size then they're free to reissue all they want...
Exactly. If you were comfortable with paying $200 for something because you couldnt get it cheaper, that is fair market value. It is no different than people that pre-order at full SRP only for it to be on a hot sale months later. Go look at the people that Gentle Giant's Honey Trap series, numbered limited edition for $600-$700. You can pick them up on Amazon, from Amazon.com for $240-$328. Its capitalism, supply and demand.
bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote