Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-17-2018, 02:58 AM   #11
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It’s definitely a great piece. Had a lot of offers. I have been planning on another C&H piece with Tony. Just got to give other life events out of the way.
If he does another C&H don't forget your buddy shred here we can share the costs for a ES of 2
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It’s definitely a great piece. Had a lot of offers. I have been planning on another C&H piece with Tony. Just got to give other life events out of the way.
he is SUPER busy right now, also he said he may not be doing any more traditional sculpt commissions. i could see him making an exception for another c&h though, just not a full 1/4 scale piece probably
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #13
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
he is SUPER busy right now, also he said he may not be doing any more traditional sculpt commissions. i could see him making an exception for another c&h though, just not a full 1/4 scale piece probably
I can imagine, I'd guess a good year or two wait for many good sculptors to start on a piece.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
Yeah he moved to Florida to teach I think. When I approached him to make a C&H he said he always wanted to make one so he was excited to work on it. It was a great collaboration and it is my grail. Of all my statues it would be the last to go in an emergency.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
SONICobra
Batman

hes working full time at disney now and and also doing a few things for dc on the side, i know he recently did a green lantern statue and some BTAS figures. ive had a commission in the works with him going on a few years now lol - there are many reasons for that so its all good. tony is awesome and has great communication, i was blown away he even took my request in the first place

in regards to the OT i also am curious how people put as much money is required to produce a digital sculpt and small run. i guess it all works out for them in the end but man thats expensive
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #16
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Some more information for the interested.

1. Like for nbr3bagshotrow, a commission could be a simple character request for a one of a kind sculpt(OOAK). One of a kind sculpts will always be more expensive than the mass produced stuff we are used to getting from Sideshow etc. Think original Mona Lisa painting versus Mona Lisa prints. A good rule of the thumb to use for pricing is $100 per inch in height. This will vary depending on the skill of the sculptor involved.

2. Sometimes when the cost of the original sculpt is too high for a commissioner, he bands together with like minded fans, commissions a sculpt and then asks that it be duplicated. For example if a 1/6th scale sculpt is 10 inches tall, per the rule above, that will cost 10 x 100 = $1000. If molding costs are about $500 and each resin cast out of the mold costs about $50 of resin(including molding and casting fees), overall costs for say, 10 copies = 1000 + 500 + (50 x 10) = $2000. Essentially, each like-minded fan gets a copy of the original sculpt for $200.

3. Digital sculpting has introduced speed, ease of revisions and reduced the complexity of the supply chain. For example, I can get my custom sculpted by a really great sculptor who lives on another continent. Once he's done, he can send the 3d file to my 3d printer person who will do the printing and model clean up. Companies like Ownage are very good at stuff like this. After this, the manual molding and casting portion of the chain still needs to be done, but a lot of time has been saved in the sculpting stage. Also, the flexibility of 3d sculpting means I can 3d print the file at a different scale without needing to pay commission fees for another OOAK sculpt. This is why most commercial production is firmly headed in the 3d production direction nowadays...

Hope that helps someone. How do I know all this? Well, I am a sculptor
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #17
Matalata
Doh!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteguytu View Post

1. Like for nbr3bagshotrow, a commission could be a simple character request for a one of a kind sculpt(OOAK). One of a kind sculpts will always be more expensive than the mass produced stuff we are used to getting from Sideshow etc. Think original Mona Lisa painting versus Mona Lisa prints. A good rule of the thumb to use for pricing is $100 per inch in height. This will vary depending on the skill of the sculptor involved.

2. Sometimes when the cost of the original sculpt is too high for a commissioner, he bands together with like minded fans, commissions a sculpt and then asks that it be duplicated. For example if a 1/6th scale sculpt is 10 inches tall, per the rule above, that will cost 10 x 100 = $1000. If molding costs are about $500 and each resin cast out of the mold costs about $50 of resin(including molding and casting fees), overall costs for say, 10 copies = 1000 + 500 + (50 x 10) = $2000. Essentially, each like-minded fan gets a copy of the original sculpt for $200.

3. Digital sculpting has introduced speed, ease of revisions and reduced the complexity of the supply chain. For example, I can get my custom sculpted by a really great sculptor who lives on another continent. Once he's done, he can send the 3d file to my 3d printer person who will do the printing and model clean up. Companies like Ownage are very good at stuff like this. After this, the manual molding and casting portion of the chain still needs to be done, but a lot of time has been saved in the sculpting stage. Also, the flexibility of 3d sculpting means I can 3d print the file at a different scale without needing to pay commission fees for another OOAK sculpt. This is why most commercial production is firmly headed in the 3d production direction nowadays...

Thanks for the info. Does Ownage have a website? Can't seem to find it...
Matalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #18
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteguytu View Post

Very informative, so based in what I want would be $2000 according to this.

I wonder how one would find groups to buy into custom pieces to keep price down.

Do you have an example of 3D printed statue? I find that fascinating, but never actually seen how it turns out.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote