I like to make what's yours mine.

H.M.O. Medusa 1/2 Scale Bust

Medusa 1/2 Scale Bust
by Handmade Objects (H.M.O.) Collectibles

Released: April 2016
Edition Size: 500
Product Size: 17" H x 6.5" W x 6.5" D
Product Weight: approx. 9 lbs.
Design Team: Mufizal (Sculpt), Kobe Sek (Design), The H.M.O. Collectibles Design and Development Team
Original Retail Price: $299 USD plus shipping

Please watch the video review HERE

Sculpt: 9.5 / 10

The piece is sculpted by Mufizal, who has previously done work for XM Studios (Captain America, Black Widow, Daredevil), so you've likely seen his work before. The sculpt on this Medusa piece is fantastic. She has a beautiful face, and the snakes are CRAZY! Over 200 individual snakes intertwine to form a styled hairdo, it is truly impressive to see in person. Mufizal has indicated that these snakes were the biggest sculpting challenge of his career thus far...remember, he has to make these snakes into something that can be mass produced, which would have been no easy feat.

Paint: 9.0 / 10

Paint all around on this piece is well done. A nice patina finish on the crown, necklace, and shirt give the appearance of weathered copper or bronze. The skin tones are beautifully done, with a slight freckling for a nice, realistic finish. The lips are glossy, giving them a sultry wet look.

Design: 9.5 / 10

Everyone knows the Greek origins of the Medusa myth, but other cultures have contributed to the story as well, including Egyptian culture. H.M.O. strived to include an Egyptian flare to the piece to honor this aspect of her history. The Egyptian influence can be seen in the shape of the crown, which is similar to ancient relics of Egyptian queens.

One element that I did not notice until I had the piece in front of me was the man's face sculpted into the stone on the base. I thought this was a very cool element that further accentuates the legend around Medusa (how she turns people to stone when they look upon her), and shows great attention to detail.

Already mentioned above, but styling the snakes into something that looks like an actual hairstyle and not just a monstrous clump is brilliantly done.

I think the decision to make these busts 1/2 scale was the correct decision. The Beastly Beauties line serves a bit of a niche in the current collecting landscape, and we all know that display space is at a premium (the struggle is real!!). So, at its size, the piece is both impressive and yet compact enough to "fit" into any collection.

Production & Build Quality: 8.0 / 10

The statue separates into three pieces (the head, base/body, and necklace). The head fits into the base with a keyed peg and magnet. The statue feels very sturdy and secure, and has a good weighty feel to it.

There are jewels added to the front of the crown and necklace that add some bling to everyone's favourite gorgon.

By far my favourite aspect of this statue is the eyes. Acrylic eyes were used in addition to "real" eyelashes to give an incredibly realistic look. I love the deep green colour that was chosen for the eyes as well.

A piece as intricate as this one is bound to be fairly fragile, and that certainly is the case. Be careful when removing the statue from the box, as one wrong move could mean snapping a snake at the root. This statue is worth taking the extra time and effort when handling, however, she looks stunning.

On the subject of fragility, the box and foam packaging is being recalled and will be re-engineered to help ensure the piece remains secure during transit. It's great to see H.M.O. step up and do the right thing for their customers and fans.

Overall: 9.0 / 10

Medusa is an excellent way to start off this Beastly Beauties line. Excellent quality and attention to detail make this unique take on an ancient tale feel fresh and exciting. If the rest of the line can live up to this standard, collectors are in for a treat.

Speaking of the rest of the line...next up is the Siren, and here is an exclusive WIP shot of the digital sculpt from Mufizal:

And the concept art for others in the series:

Empusa:

Sphinx:

Dryad:
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Bmutha

Old 04-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Bmutha

Old 04-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Thanks for the thorough review, Bmutha.

This piece really has a stunning amount of detail. As someone that doesn't normally collect busts, I feel the 1/2 scale size is a nice middle ground. Easier on the wallet and space. In the video, she looks like the perfect size for me.

Her eyes really draw you in but I'm also glad you were able to capture the "freckle effect" on her skin. I like it a lot and it really gives the skin tone some depth. It seems to be something HMO likes to do on their pieces. I recall them pointing it out on their recent Nariko statue, for example.

I agree it would have been a nice touch to have some of the snakes showing their fangs but that's a minor nitpick. I think the sculpt and semi-glossy paint app still give them a good sense of realism.

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with the rest of line. I'm really interested in that fire elemental piece, in particular.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Thanks for the thorough review, Bmutha.

This piece really has a stunning amount of detail. As someone that doesn't normally collect busts, I feel the 1/2 scale size is a nice middle ground. Easier on the wallet and space. In the video, she looks like the perfect size for me.

Her eyes really draw you in but I'm also glad you were able to capture the "freckle effect" on her skin. I like it a lot and it really gives the skin tone some depth. It seems to be something HMO likes to do on their pieces. I recall them pointing it out on their recent Nariko statue, for example.

I agree it would have been a nice touch to have some of the snakes showing their fangs but that's a minor nitpick. I think the sculpt and semi-glossy paint app still give them a good sense of realism.

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with the rest of line. I'm really interested in that fire elemental piece, in particular.
Yes, the size is good for me, too. This is a line that will not eat up much space to display, and we all know the struggle for display space,
Old 04-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

What a stunner! Great to see the change of pace in the reviews section.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
Eky
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

crazy pictures and review for a crazy bust.

Congratulations

In touch for all the line and especially fire elemental and dryad.
Eky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Empusa:
So she has a name! Thanks for this!

I had no idea she was a Greek demi-goddess and daughter of Hecate. Apparently, she was into some pretty dark stuff too.

Very cool! I hope they can do the flames justice when the time comes.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
IXEC
Hellboy

Outstanding review.....

This Medusa is much better than I though...

I need her...
IXEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
dechirico7
The Flash

TERRIBLE....
AWFUL....
THIS THREAD SHOULD BE REMOVED!!!!

Because now I want to get it!

I think my main issues with this one were the features of the face and snakes.

The real lashes and glass eyes remind me of some antique dolls.
I have a love/hate relationship with her mouth. And from far away her eyes look all black. A lighter green would have made the irises stand out more from an average distance.

As far as the snakes. They don't look too active, but on the verge of dying or dead. I think there should have been more volume and lift to them.

Still a gorgeous piece. Is there a comparison shot for size? Is it similar in scale to the Sideshow LSBs?
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote