Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
DaggumGar
Doh!

Coating PVC Figures with Super Sculpey?

Hello fellows early Happy New Year to you all!! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas feast with your family like I did!

I'm new in the hobby (always wanted to customize a figure since I was a kid, wanted to give it a try today) so please forgive me for any (or all) of my silly questions. I'm hoping to customize a PVC figure by first coating him with a thick layer of Super Sculpey, then resculpting his muscles and head. Is this feasible? I am planning to use the flesh/skin toned Super Sculpey for this my first project. Please let me know if it's a go, because if so I'll start right away. I've watched a few Youtube vids on how to handle the clay and did some reading off the web on sculpting these past few weeks. I don't think or even expect this will be a masterpiece since it'll be my first, but I do want to make it good, so please give me any comments/suggestions. Thanks fellows nice meeting you all and have a wonderful holiday!

p.s. Is it possible that I left the Super Sculpey to harden up by itself? Because I read that these should be baked after sculpting but after the process the oven will be unsuitable for baking food. Anyone? Thanks!
DaggumGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

look into aves apoxie sculpt.

http://www.avesstudio.com/

Mix A and B together and you got 1-3 hours work time before it hardens, Then you can sand and scrape it etc...

Sculpty you need to back to harden and with PVC you will warp that stuff cause scutlpy needs to be backed at like 375 degrees or something like that. PVC wont stand a chance in a oven or even being boiled in water.

There might be some clays out there that air dry but they may have a % of shrinkage to them when dried and may mash up a PVC specially if its a hollow PVC. Then you run into cracks on the shrinkage.

I have baked sculpty in my oven and food after never seen a issue with it.

Sculpty on resin in a oven is ok, but PVC would be scary to even try it since its a softer plastic.

Hope some of that helps.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
DaggumGar
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
look into aves apoxie sculpt.

http://www.avesstudio.com/

Mix A and B together and you got 1-3 hours work time before it hardens, Then you can sand and scrape it etc...

Sculpty you need to back to harden and with PVC you will warp that stuff cause scutlpy needs to be backed at like 375 degrees or something like that. PVC wont stand a chance in a oven or even being boiled in water.

There might be some clays out there that air dry but they may have a % of shrinkage to them when dried and may mash up a PVC specially if its a hollow PVC. Then you run into cracks on the shrinkage.

I have baked sculpty in my oven and food after never seen a issue with it.

Sculpty on resin in a oven is ok, but PVC would be scary to even try it since its a softer plastic.

Hope some of that helps.
Thank you for the suggestion, I too hope to use Aves or Amazing Sculpt but Super Sculpey is what I have at the moment so was hoping to use it up.

I too worried about boiling and putting PVC figs in ovens... Was thinking of air-drying or using a blowdryer, since I'll only coat the PVC figure with a thin layer... Do you think that'd work? Thanks in advance just wanna give this a try... Cheers
DaggumGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

doubt a blow dryer will work, you may end up drying certain areas and not the sculpty thats thicker and might crake apart.

Far as i know if you cant properly heat up sculpty, you will end up creating a mess.

Maybe if you can get a cheap toy from a CVS or somthing, like one of those 99ยข wind up toys and test it out. Only thing i can think of before ruining a pvc.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Tombo
Frackin!

First off, between my wife and I we have about 35 years of baking polymer clay in a home oven with never a problem with using it for food. If you are concerned you can get two turkey roasting pans (cheap aluminum disposable ones) and put the sculpt in one and upend the other one on top and use bulldog clips to pin them together. You effectively create a dutch oven which will keep anything untoward trapped inside rather than released into your oven. That having been said, I have had mixed results baking premade figures in the oven. Some melt, some don't. Airdry clays almost always have a shrink factor that make them undesirable for use on a rigid object. I also would recommend using one of the epoxy putty clays that are out there, but failing that, many people report success with boiling. I don't like the idea of boiling clay because it never reaches a proper cure temperature, but it would be better than a blow dryer and better than melting plastic in the oven.

Tommie
Tombo is offline   Reply With Quote