Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Black Panther - What am I missing?

Newsarama reports show that this movie is outstripping Civil War in presale tickets. Early buzz all over is singing the movies praises, the trailer got record views and likes.

Ok so what am I missing?

Chad Boseman was INCREDIBLE as BP in Civil War, and I have to admire Marvel for making a film with an authentic cast for a film largely set in Africa, especially after hearing some of the Aladdin 'brown face' reports. Also it's nice to see a film that isn't using the cast in an exploitive way, but seem to be giving each character a personality and charm of their own.

However, to me the the trailer looked largely derivative both of Iron Man and Luke Cage and not really breaking the Marvel rinse repeat formula, the inevitable hip-hop soundtrack which seemed incongruous with the action, and some slightly iffy looking CGI.

So what's the big deal here? Is there genuinely something I'm missing, or is it the positive points I mentioned above that are generating the hype?

If I was a child of African descent, I could see myself going crazy for this as it would be a protagonist I could finally see through the eyes of, just like the Wonder Woman effect. But adults, regardless of colour, can surely see that this doesn't really break any mould?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, and a fan of the character is a fan. I'd be stoked to see a Green Lantern film that was good regardless of colour/sex of GL. I want to be excited about this movie...I'm just 'meh' at the moment.

N.B. If I see any responses of 'you're not the target audience', then I call BS straight away. Disney would not spend this much money on a movie to target one section of an audience. Plus, we should all be able to enjoy a movie be it Straight Outta Compton, or Remains of the Day.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Mister H
Gen 13

It’s riding the Marvel hype train. Thor 3 made a lot of money and was recently released, Infinity War is coming fairly soon, and there is the history that Marvel has produced with it's movies. That’s pretty much it. I’m looking forward to the movie, but I have my doubts about it. I would like to see a movie about “just” Black Panther, but it seems they will be trying to squeeze as many characters in there as possible. I hope that it’s good, but I’m thinking it’s going to suffer from the IM3 and Thor3 treatments.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think you may be reflecting superhero film fatigue. You're not alone. These movies are coming out like assembly line toys, and perhaps not indulging fans with enough time to build anticipation or to crave for more.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
adee
Green Arrow

I'm actually pretty hyped to see it. I thought the trailers were good, albeit a little over the top, and Boseman is the perfect actor to play him.

Honestly, they keep making them and I'll keep going.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I'm actually pretty hyped to see it. I thought the trailers were good, albeit a little over the top, and Boseman is the perfect actor to play him.

Absolutely! Agreed on all points! I am extremely stoked!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I am 110% there with you. Ironically I have become LESS interested with each trailer. Post Civil War this was my most anticipated Marvel film, now I am apprehensive that it will be largely paint by numbers. I was ecstatic about the African setting and unique characters but now I'm disappointed that this is shaping up to be just a different version of Iron Man, (which was the major detractor for Spider-Man Homecoming for me).

I posted the same sentiment on Twitter and got an insane number of bigotry allegations leveled at me. Ironic because my parents were actually born and raised in Africa and only moved due to political upheaval

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Newsarama reports show that this movie is outstripping Civil War in presale tickets. Early buzz all over is singing the movies praises, the trailer got record views and likes.

Ok so what am I missing?

Chad Boseman was INCREDIBLE as BP in Civil War, and I have to admire Marvel for making a film with an authentic cast for a film largely set in Africa, especially after hearing some of the Aladdin 'brown face' reports. Also it's nice to see a film that isn't using the cast in an exploitive way, but seem to be giving each character a personality and charm of their own.

However, to me the the trailer looked largely derivative both of Iron Man and Luke Cage and not really breaking the Marvel rinse repeat formula, the inevitable hip-hop soundtrack which seemed incongruous with the action, and some slightly iffy looking CGI.

So what's the big deal here? Is there genuinely something I'm missing, or is it the positive points I mentioned above that are generating the hype?

If I was a child of African descent, I could see myself going crazy for this as it would be a protagonist I could finally see through the eyes of, just like the Wonder Woman effect. But adults, regardless of colour, can surely see that this doesn't really break any mould?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, and a fan of the character is a fan. I'd be stoked to see a Green Lantern film that was good regardless of colour/sex of GL. I want to be excited about this movie...I'm just 'meh' at the moment.

N.B. If I see any responses of 'you're not the target audience', then I call BS straight away. Disney would not spend this much money on a movie to target one section of an audience. Plus, we should all be able to enjoy a movie be it Straight Outta Compton, or Remains of the Day.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post

I posted the same sentiment on Twitter and got an insane number of bigotry allegations leveled at me. Ironic because my parents were actually born and raised in Africa and only moved due to political upheaval
Twitter and FB seem like perilous places to share opinions that don't line up with the current "bandwagon" line of thought.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post

Same here.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I have watched all the Marvel films at theather and Black Panter will not be an exception. Black Panther is not a character that i'm familiar with so i don't have much hype but i didn't know Blade was a comic book character when i watched his films and i really liked the first film, one of my favorites. Blade is my favorite black super hero (but the film Blade, i don't care about the comics Blade in colorful costume with a wooden commando knife, that is cringeworthy... lol)

So if i liked the film Blade so much without knowing anything about him before the film, i can see myself really liking the Black Panther, if it turns out as good as Blade 1.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Is the pre-release hype similar to Coco?
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote