Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #51
superboylives
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
For me, personally, I've slowed down a lot as I've both gotten a lot of things I wanted, and have been largely priced out of the rest of the things I want. I still check in on this place every now and then though, but have also found other places, like the forum at CGC and some FB groups. Haul posts are always welcome, and I could certainly post a few things I've gotten in the past year, but some things I like about the other forums and groups I've checked out are the discussions about other things related to the hobby.
I can relate. I've slowed down a lot too. 10 yrs ago my art budget was around 8k now it's around 1.5k. The price of art has really increased, but my salary took a hit during the recession. Also having a wife and kid has changed my priorities. I'm now looking at art that's on the lower end. The cost of my average piece last year was approximately $200. 5 yrs ago it was $1k. Nevertheless I do appreciate the less expensive pieces just as much as the more pricey ones.

Btw, here's a new Otto Schmidt pen and ink that I forgot to post on my earlier thread.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1527007
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #52
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
Its just great to have TC back although that means no hulk art is safe now

I'll share a piece i won recently at auction, love tim's style and those ink washes. I really need a hulk grey page to add to my collection.
Yeah, having TC back makes for more competition for sure. I was thinking he might have changed to a Thor collector based on some early posts but he is still a Hulk collector. It's all good - plenty of art to go around!

That is a great Sale piece! I also have a hole in my collection for a Hulk Grey page. They keep going up so my chances keep going down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...?Piece=1525609

I picked up another 1st app of Spider-Woman page to add to the collection.
NICE! Are there any key early pages you are missing and looking for? Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post

I'd play but I've posted everything on CAF already.
You are my CAF hero

Quote:
and TC has a son now. You have been gone for awhile.
Yeah, and I think he has lived in, like, 4 states or something since he left and came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Heck no a panel page cost $1800 now. I'm talking normal issue, a Marvel Spotlight page for a page from issue #1 is a lot more.
I hope you get them all brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboylives View Post
I can relate. I've slowed down a lot too. 10 yrs ago my art budget was around 8k now it's around 1.5k. The price of art has really increased, but my salary took a hit during the recession. Also having a wife and kid has changed my priorities. I'm now looking at art that's on the lower end. The cost of my average piece last year was approximately $200. 5 yrs ago it was $1k. Nevertheless I do appreciate the less expensive pieces just as much as the more pricey ones.

Btw, here's a new Otto Schmidt pen and ink that I forgot to post on my earlier thread.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1527007
Great perspective! I agree, there is great art to be had at any price point.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #53
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

That is the nice thing about comic art collecting. Even though prices continue to rise there is something for just about every budget. I've had to change my collecting habits. I just can't keep up with the rising prices so I'm more selective or just go after different things.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #54
superboylives
Mephisto

Quote:
That is the nice thing about comic art collecting. Even though prices continue to rise there is something for just about every budget. I've had to change my collecting habits. I just can't keep up with the rising prices so I'm more selective or just go after different things.
Regarding the rising prices. I do have a question for everyone. Have you ever sold a piece in order to fund another purchase, but now that the prices have gone up so much you'll never be able to touch that sold art again if it ever becomes available? This cooke batman and robin is an example of that. I purchased it and sold it(for a Timm piece) for around 1k about 6 yrs ago. Even if it was on the market it would probably be around 3k-4k. I kind of feel like an idiot now. On top of that I met Darwyn a few times at SDCC and he was always so personable. I was pretty hurt when he died.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooke.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	120680  
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #55
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Regarding the rising prices. I do have a question for everyone. Have you ever sold a piece in order to fund another purchase, but now that the prices have gone up so much you'll never be able to touch that sold art again if it ever becomes available?

As a general rule, I will only buy artwork I intend to frame/display -- and with that comes a limited amount of display space -- which sometimes means selling something for something else I want even more. I'm okay collecting within that framework. Once something is gone/replaced, I generally become emotionally detached (no choice, really). While I'm quite likely in the minority (i.e., buying only what I intend to frame/display), I've never been the type who collects artwork in a portfolio, if that makes any sense. If I didn't have this and other rules to collecting, I'd likely be spending significantly more than what I do. Nowadays, some cover artists are inching their way towards 10k, which has turned this into a high rollers game.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #56
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Regarding the rising prices. I do have a question for everyone. Have you ever sold a piece in order to fund another purchase, but now that the prices have gone up so much you'll never be able to touch that sold art again if it ever becomes available? This cooke batman and robin is an example of that. I purchased it and sold it(for a Timm piece) for around 1k about 6 yrs ago. Even if it was on the market it would probably be around 3k-4k. I kind of feel like an idiot now. On top of that I met Darwyn a few times at SDCC and he was always so personable. I was pretty hurt when he died.
That's a beautiful Cooke piece. I've sold a few things here and there and I've typically regretted selling it later on.

There are pieces in my collection that I was fortunate to buy 10-12 years ago. If they went up for sale today, I wouldn't be able to compete.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #57
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Have you ever sold a piece in order to fund another purchase, but now that the prices have gone up so much you'll never be able to touch that sold art again if it ever becomes available?
"Them's the breaks" as they say. Unfortunately, artwork is unique and sometimes you need to let go of something you like for something you (hopefully) like more. I needed to give up a TON of pages to get one of my grail pieces. While I could technically afford to outright purchase the grail piece, it was SO outside of what I had ever spent before (and, frankly, it wouldn't have been responsible of me to spend that much), I ended up trading instead. I would have liked to keep a number of those pages I traded, but I did what I did to get something I had wanted for decades.

There will always be something out there to get. Don't think about your past pieces too much, it'll just depress you, LOL.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #58
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
"Them's the breaks" as they say. Unfortunately, artwork is unique and sometimes you need to let go of something you like for something you (hopefully) like more. I needed to give up a TON of pages to get one of my grail pieces. While I could technically afford to outright purchase the grail piece, it was SO outside of what I had ever spent before (and, frankly, it wouldn't have been responsible of me to spend that much), I ended up trading instead. I would have liked to keep a number of those pages I traded, but I did what I did to get something I had wanted for decades.

There will always be something out there to get. Don't think about your past pieces too much, it'll just depress you, LOL.

What did you get???
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #59
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
What did you get???
He got a Real Doll. It's the piece that keeps on giving.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #60
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Jade Giant.....

I still need 24 Spider-Woman covers, 5 pages from issue #1, and the cover and 10 pages from Marvel Spotlight 32. At current market that close to 1 Million dollars.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote