Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #611
Synzaic
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I think the answer is....perfect practice is non uv museum quality glass, but as long as you are out if direct sunlight, uv glass or acrylic will both allow you to live a long life and die without needing to worry about it.

I am not very knowledgable about framing and prints....but have read this whole thread and a few other links that those who are have posted.
Synzaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #612
wanderlai
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synzaic View Post
But your order WILL be right won't it? When the points come off poison ivy print? I don't understand.
Nope. My total for both prints was $53 after using $107 in points. That's what my order invoice showed. Adding in $10 shipping for each would total $73. I got charged $90 just for the Kier print. They charged me more than what my submitted order showed.
wanderlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #613
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synzaic View Post
I think the answer is....perfect practice is non uv museum quality glass, but as long as you are out if direct sunlight, uv glass or acrylic will both allow you to live a long life and die without needing to worry about it.

I am not very knowledgable about framing and prints....but have read this whole thread and a few other links that those who are have posted.
All (real) Museum Glass is UV protected.

Even if you have UV protection in your acrylic/glass, always avoid direct sunlight.
floreairfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #614
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
On average, how much do you save when framing yourself? I'd like to learn as well, on some cheaper prints.
A LOT!! Like 60-70%, possibly more if you buy your frames at wholesale framing companies. The money you will save on the first 2 prints will more than pay for the supplies needed. Trust me on this one, learn how to do it yourself. Its a LOT easier than people think, especially with a quality matt cutter. All you do is measure, mark some lines and cut. Plus you can learn archival methods and not have to worry about the framing companies destroying your artwork.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #615
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycher View Post
First, I'd like to say that your comments have been very informative and are greatly appreciated OrangeCrush. Secondly, do you think there is any danger to letting a framer run it through their press?

I am not averse to doing it myself if it is safer - I have flattened prints before (mostly original one sheets) using the traditional "book" method but then those prints didn't cost me $100 and weren't very limited/signed. Also, what is the best way to actually "unroll" the prints before placing weights on it to flatten it out? For me this is the trickiest part and the larger the print the more unwieldy it is.

Keep up the good posts brother!

I agree. Sideshow should at least give us the option for future prints to ship them flat. Regardless if the print arrives "undamaged", this whole DIY flattening business really just irks me considering the price point of these.
Not a problem! Glad your finding the information useful. As for the print press, there is no danger. Here is a picture of a print press:

They simply turn the unit on, wait a couple minutes for it to heat up, and then place your print on the press and close it for a minute or two. Its a very simple process and anyone working at a frame shop will have pressed prints a thousand times over.

Yeah, you can get some creases if you not careful with your unrolling. There are really no tricks that I know of beyond being careful. If the print is really bad and has a lot of curl to it, I always unroll the print so the curl is curling upwards towards the ceiling, not down towards the table or work surface. Your much more likely to get creases if you do it the other way.

Just take your time and remember to always wash your hands before handling your prints. Most people forget about the oils that are on thier hands. I myself always use cotten gloves whenever handling any type of artwork. I use Light Impressions economical cotton gloves. Here is the link in case your interested:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...ools-supplies/

A box of 12 pairs costs $13.25, so they are basically like $1.10 per pair. They do have nicer quality cotten gloves if you want something a little nicer. Here is the link for the deluxe cotton gloves:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...ools-supplies/

Basically those are $41.60 for 12 pairs or basically $3.50 per pair. Again, I just use the economical version. They work great.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #616
Synzaic
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlai View Post
Nope. My total for both prints was $53 after using $107 in points. That's what my order invoice showed. Adding in $10 shipping for each would total $73. I got charged $90 just for the Kier print. They charged me more than what my submitted order showed.
oh.. fair enough. I would just contact them and they will fix it.
Synzaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #617
ob1ob
Birdman

Thumbs up

Thanks alot for all of the information! I definitely feel alot more confident about framing my prints now.
ob1ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #618
Canadaguy705
Sailor Moon

Bad news for me.

I missed out on my framed Kier art print.

I was at work today and checked my E-mail during break at 8:30am and saw an E-mail from Sideshow saying there was a problem with my Credit Card.

The E-mail went on to say that they understand things like this happen and we'd hate for you to lose your item. So what they were willing to do to help me out was to charge my credit card again on Friday morning.

But wait! This was Friday morning. The day they sent the E-mail. So basically i MIGHT have a couple hours to fix this situation.

But Sideshow. People work. I wouldn't be able to fix this situation until after work at 4pm.

Too late though. They ended up cancelling my print.

Now I understand this is on me. I was totally unaware there was an issue with my credit card. But if you're saying you're going to help your customer out, at least give him enough time to deal with the problem before cancelling his order.

I hope my Kier Art Print went to a loving home.
Canadaguy705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #619
Toaster
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Any news on when the prints for November will drop?
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #620
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
They simply turn the unit on, wait a couple minutes for it to heat up, and then place your print on the press and close it for a minute or two. Its a very simple process and anyone working at a frame shop will have pressed prints a thousand times over.

Yeah, you can get some creases if you not careful with your unrolling. There are really no tricks that I know of beyond being careful. If the print is really bad and has a lot of curl to it, I always unroll the print so the curl is curling upwards towards the ceiling, not down towards the table or work surface. Your much more likely to get creases if you do it the other way.

Just take your time and remember to always wash your hands before handling your prints. Most people forget about the oils that are on thier hands. I myself always use cotten gloves whenever handling any type of artwork. I use Light Impressions economical cotton gloves.
Much obliged
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote