Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > William Paquet

Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #111
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
Ahh, grasshopper-

Go back and watch THE EXORCIST documentary that is on the flip side of the DVD. There is a brief snippet of dialog that was cut from the final film, during the break in the exorcism when they leave the room and are sittting on the stairs. Fathers Karras and Merrin talk about this. Karras asks, "why her(Regan)?", and Merrin replies "maybe to make us despair"

In other words, that the object of possession may not even be the target of the evil, but rather how that evil affects the spirtit of those with which it comes into contact.

Look at the ripple effect in the film. All the friends, the mother, etc. It goes far beyond the possession of Regan.
The desecration of the church and the statue of the virgin Mary support this theory.
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #112
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
Ahh, grasshopper-

Go back and watch THE EXORCIST documentary that is on the flip side of the DVD. There is a brief snippet of dialog that was cut from the final film, during the break in the exorcism when they leave the room and are sittting on the stairs. Fathers Karras and Merrin talk about this. Karras asks, "why her(Regan)?", and Merrin replies "maybe to make us despair"

In other words, that the object of possession may not even be the target of the evil, but rather how that evil affects the spirtit of those with which it comes into contact.

Look at the ripple effect in the film. All the friends, the mother, etc. It goes far beyond the possession of Regan.
I suppose. But really, the possession has the effect of driving people surrounding the victim to seek out God and his servants, not turn away from them. I don't know based on these posts I guess it is easy for me to see why some found this movie more terrifying and unnerving than I did. Don't get me wrong, it's unquestionably in my top 10 horror movies of all time, but more for the idea and the effects than for any realistic threat of demonic possession. I put this one on a par with Hell Raiser.

Did anyone read the article link I posted RE the actual possession and exorcism that inspired the novel and hence the movie? If so did it affect your opinion of the movie at all?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #113
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruze View Post
The desecration of the church and the statue of the virgin Mary support this theory.
I thought you got government grants to do those things
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #114
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I suppose. But really, the possession has the effect of driving people surrounding the victim to seek out God and his servants, not turn away from them. I don't know based on these posts I guess it is easy for me to see why some found this movie more terrifying and unnerving than I did. Don't get me wrong, it's unquestionably in my top 10 horror movies of all time, but more for the idea and the effects than for any realistic threat of demonic possession. I put this one on a par with Hell Raiser.

Did anyone read the article link I posted RE the actual possession and exorcism that inspired the novel and hence the movie? If so did it affect your opinion of the movie at all?
Never really watched to movie all the way through. Watching Satan torment some poor soul for entertainment is not my cup of tea.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #115
pablocruze

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but when I do, I'll let you know what I think...
Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #116
pablocruze

Quote:
I thought you got government grants to do those things
Not back then...that's a more recent step forward...
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #117
pablocruze

I, for one, am glad you didn't delete this conversation as I found it interesting to watch the whole thing develop, after the fact as I wasn't here while it was going down.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #118
pablocruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Again, I apologize about this thread.
As my boss (well, back when I had a boss) used to tell me...

"When you're p to your a$$ in aligators, it's hard to remember that your original objective was to drain the swamp."
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #119
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
As my boss (well, back when I had a boss) used to tell me...

"When you're up to your a$$ in aligators, it's hard to remember that your original objective was to drain the swamp."
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #120
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
I, for one, am glad you didn't delete this conversation as I found it interesting to watch the whole thing develop, after the fact as I wasn't here while it was going down.
Wow, my first MOD beating. I feel tuff.

Nothing to see here, move along now kiddies.