Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 09-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #221
Kefka2200
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

There's nothing wrong with either. JP fans appreciate the maquette poses because that's how we know the dinosaurs from the films. Most of us know the work put into these creatures to make them as lifelike and accurate as possible and part of the point of having a JP line is to have the maquette statues so we can get them. I'm not a huge diorama fanatic, the animals are where it's at and if I can get something cast from SWS, then I'm going to be all over it. I hope they come out with some dioramas here and there, but I don't care of they release an entire line of SWS maquettes. With Jurassic Park we are buying the molds, I've been saying it from the beginning. People dont understand that, but that's fine. I don't care if the dinosaurs are painted black and purple, it's the look of the actual look of the creature we are buying and that we have fallen in love with all these years.

Back to the main point: both dioramas and maquettes are fine. I expect more maquettes with a JP line than with a random SS line that had no connection to anything except concept.
Kefka2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #222
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka2200 View Post
There's nothing wrong with either. JP fans appreciate the maquette poses because that's how we know the dinosaurs from the films. Most of us know the work put into these creatures to make them as lifelike and accurate as possible and part of the point of having a JP line is to have the maquette statues so we can get them. I'm not a huge diorama fanatic, the animals are where it's at and if I can get something cast from SWS, then I'm going to be all over it. I hope they come out with some dioramas here and there, but I don't care of they release an entire line of SWS maquettes. With Jurassic Park we are buying the molds, I've been saying it from the beginning. People dont understand that, but that's fine. I don't care if the dinosaurs are painted black and purple, it's the look of the actual look of the creature we are buying and that we have fallen in love with all these years.

Back to the main point: both dioramas and maquettes are fine. I expect more maquettes with a JP line than with a random SS line that had no connection to anything except concept.
Plenty of JP fans blasted CC for maquette static poses, you can't please everyone no matter what, but doing both styles would be a nice option. I would buy both kinds.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #223
Chrisrex82
The Herculoids

Most statue collectors want the dioramas, prop collectors (smaller market) tend to favor the maquette.
Chrisrex82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #224
Kefka2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Plenty of JP fans blasted CC for maquette static poses, you can't please everyone no matter what, but doing both styles would be a nice option. I would buy both kinds.
i'm not saying they didn't blast them, but I think as a group they would be more accepting of maquettes because we all know them, we've all seen them and a lot of us have said to ourselves "I wish I had one of those statues" while watching the making-ofs. Don't get me wrong, dioramas are cool, but not everything. To me.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:49 AM   #225
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
i'm not saying they didn't blast them, but I think as a group they would be more accepting of maquettes because we all know them, we've all seen them and a lot of us have said to ourselves "I wish I had one of those statues" while watching the making-ofs. Don't get me wrong, dioramas are cool, but not everything. To me.
One problem with dios is that they are generally a much smaller scale than a standalone piece. Raptors in the kitchen or the Nedry Jeep planned for example will probably be half the scale or less of what a raptor or spitter SWS maquette or a custom design statue would be. I don't expect many large dio style pieces like the JW fight scene unless it really sells well(here's hoping).
Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #226
Kefka2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
One problem with dios is that they are generally a much smaller scale than a standalone piece. Raptors in the kitchen or the Nedry Jeep planned for example will probably be half the scale or less of what a raptor or spitter SWS maquette or a custom design statue would be. I don't expect many large dio style pieces like the JW fight scene unless it really sells well(here's hoping).
Agreed. Dios are cool, but are generally smaller. Plus I don't think there are enough scenes that warrant dioramas without having a lot of stuff or people in them.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #227
Steve evans
The Spirit

You've got to applaude CC for their effort to try to please everyone. So far they've released JP maquettes, dioramas, dioramas with figures & busts, 1:1 & 1/5th scale.
It sounds like a dream job working at CC designing and producing these items but it must be a nightmare trying to please everyone.
Steve evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #228
Chrisrex82
The Herculoids

I think sales ultimately determine the direction, yes dioramas tend to be smaller but once you get to a certain size you price most collectors out, and unless you have a proven track record like Prime 1 or Cinemaquette it's difficult to sell a big dino that may cost thousands of dollars (example 1:5 scale Rex). I would disagree that there are not a lot of diorama possibilities with this series. People talk a lot about "grails" personally I think the rex ripping apart the jeep would be an increbile diorama done in the same scale as the breakout. And again I think most statue collectors favor "action positions " as opposed to static ones
Chrisrex82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #229
Kefka2200

There are a few scenes worth making dioramas of. The rex attacking the jeep would be a good one, but I'd be surprised to see it after the breakout rex coming out. Plus they don't want to do vehicles, which I totally understand. The only others I can think of really would be the two rexes peering into the trailers, but again...vehicles. maybe they could do a cool game trail of running herbivores from the lost world, they could easily do the "when dinos ruled the earth" and blow the SS one out of the water, a parasaurolophus roaring before it's dragged down by the hunters would be cool.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #230
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
There are a few scenes worth making dioramas of. The rex attacking the jeep would be a good one, but I'd be surprised to see it after the breakout rex coming out. Plus they don't want to do vehicles, which I totally understand. The only others I can think of really would be the two rexes peering into the trailers, but again...vehicles. maybe they could do a cool game trail of running herbivores from the lost world, they could easily do the "when dinos ruled the earth" and blow the SS one out of the water, a parasaurolophus roaring before it's dragged down by the hunters would be cool.
I know they don't like to do pieces already done, but like you said, we need a "when dinosaurs rules the earth" piece that actually does justice to the scene. 2-3' tall and open roaring mouth, I would get that and be happy with both it and the 1:5 SWS maquette piece too.